#UFC 217 #UFC Fight Night 55 #Michael Bisping #GSP #Conor McGregor

Rad MartinezIt seems that no matter what the challenge, Bellator featherweight tournament finalist Rad Martinez is up for the challenge.

Thought by some to be a longshot to make it to this point, Martinez has done so in strong fashion, beating increasingly difficult opponents on his way to the Dec. 7 tournament championship at Caesers in Atlantic City, N.J.

“I just have one fight left and it’s go big or go home,” said Martinez. “I’ve got to leave it all out there because I know after this fight I can have a little break and take some time away, so now it’s gung-ho and go for the victory and try to win the tournament.”

While he’s excited to have made the finals, Martinez told MMAWeekly.com that he wouldn’t feel a true sense of accomplishment until he gets the win at Bellator 83.

“Especially coming this far, now would be the worst time to lose; getting so close you can taste it,” he said. “I’m happy that I won the first two fights, but there’s no sense of accomplishment yet until I complete the task that I set out to do, which is win the tournament.”

To take the tournament title, Martinez will have to get past his toughest date to yet in world class striker Shahbulat Shamhalaev.

“Obviously, he’s very tough on his feet being a world champion kickboxer,” said Martinez of Shamhalaev. “He hits hard and gets quick knockouts, and even though my hands have improved dramatically of late, I feel my best chance to win is utilize my wrestling and see how he is on the ground.

“He’s had two quick knockouts in the first round, so I’d like to drag it to the later rounds and see if I can impose my will on him and tire him out and grind him out for a victory.”

And if grinding out a victory is what Martinez has to do, he’ll do it, because he knows that getting away from what he does best, no matter how far he’s grown as a fighter, is not the best strategy against Shamhalaev.

“Now is not the time to try to get fancy or try to get crazy,” said Martinez. “Now it’s time to try to win the fight. If I’m down two rounds to none, then maybe it’s time to try something different, but (otherwise) I’m not going to do anything different. Just winning is all I am focused on.”

Regardless if he wins or loses on Dec. 7, this year has been a breakout for Martinez, both personally and professionally. Still, taking the Bellator featherweight tournament and earning a shot at the individual championship next year could make for an even more spectacular 2013.

“Joining with Bellator and picking up a couple good sponsors and putting on a winning streak, it’s been a pretty good year,” said Martinez. “At the same time, if I win this tournament, next year  could shape up to be equally as good, if not better for me and my family.”

Comments

AJ McKee Wins Main Event, but Conor McGregor Steals the Show at Bellator 187 | MMAWeekly.com

AJ McKee survived a tough battle to win the Bellator 187 main event on Friday in Dublin, Ireland, but it was Conor McGregor who stole the show. read news >>

Who wins Bellator heavyweight grand prix? A primer on the good, the old and the weird

Bellator’s heavyweight tournament is bound to get weird, which seems to be part of its purpose. So who are these guys, and what are their chances?Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

Why Jose Aldo says we shouldn't fault Conor McGregor for Bellator in-cage melee

Jose Aldo has invaded cages to celebrate wins of those close to him, so he won’t hold it against “emotional” UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Denise Kielholtz Wins Bellator MMA Debut by Submission (Bellator 188 Full Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Promotional newcomer Denise Kielholtz won her Bellator MMA debut by submitting Jessica Middleton at Bellator 188 in Tel Aviv, Israel. Watch the full fight. read news >>

Michael Chandler vs. Goiti Yamauchi slated for Bellator 192

Former lightweight champion Michael Chandler isn’t getting an immediate title rematch.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Opening odds: TBA has better odds to win Bellator tourney than 'King Mo,' Sonnen, 'Rampage'

Welcome to the wild world of multi-event MMA tournaments, where chaos often reigns supreme.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

Fabricio Werdum Wins Lopsided Decision Over Marcin Tybura, Full UFC Fight Night Results | MMAWeekly.com

Fabricio Werdum capped off UFC Fight Night in Sydney, Australia with a win in the main event read news >>

Bellator 188 post-event facts: John Salter's submission skills getting record-book recognition

Check out all the facts, figures and footnotes from Bellator 188, which took place Friday at Menora Mivtachim Arena in Israel.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator 188 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

See how the winning and losing fighters from Bellator 188 reacted on social media outlets like Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.Filed under: Bellator, Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News read news >>

Like Rory MacDonald, Linton Vassell wants a spot in Bellator's heavyweight tourney

Linton Vassell knows that MMA tournaments rarely go according to plan.Filed under: Bellator, Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News read news >>