#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Bellator 183 #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Paul Daley #Ovince St. Preux #Lorenz Larkin #Fight Night Pittsburgh #Roy Nelson #Bellator MMA #Gokhan Saki

Yancy Medeiros was once a light heavyweight. Now he fights at 155 pounds.

For that incredible 50-pound drop in competition weight, the undefeated Hawaiian credits Nick and Nate Diaz.

“They changed my nutrition, my work ethic,” Medeiros told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Cheap Seats” show. “I come from Hawaii and I fly all the way to California. I commute every other month to come up here and train with these guys. … That’s pretty much how I started going down all the way to 155. I actually thought I was going to fight at 170 because I fought [at] 185 in Strikeforce and I just kept losing weight.”

The transformation began when Medeiros was sidelined with an injury. Unable to train, he decided to work on what he could, which included his diet. He’d admired the Diaz brothers for their competitiveness and their style of fighting, but their lifestyle also made an impression on him.

“I started eating like them and I felt way better eating clean,” Medeiros said. “It wasn’t just the fact that I felt better, but I felt like my recovery was even faster and I could do the same things and have the same hard practices the next day. Nick and Nate showed me that. They showed me that your body talks to you and you start feeling different things, and now my whole nutrition is totally changed. I used to just eat clean to fight and now I eat clean to live. It’s a way of life now.”

Medeiros believes he’s even stronger now than he was at 205 pounds. Certainly he’s found a way to stay focused considering he hasn’t fought since his June 2010 knockout of Gareth Joseph in Strikeforce. Now, though, he’s set on a shot in the UFC. Medeiros will make his debut Saturday at UFC 159 against Rustam Khabilov.

“I’m a realist. He’s good,” Medeiros said. “He’s good, but Joe Silva called my manager and my manager told him yeah and he called me and I was happy because I got into the UFC. I’m not the Ultimate Chooser. I’m an Ultimate Fighter. If they gave me Ben Henderson, what am I going to say? No? To my first UFC fight? I’ll take anybody.”

Plenty of fighters say they’ll fight anyone, but a former light heavyweight like Medeiros seems to actually mean it.

“From what I heard, a couple of guys turned [Khabilov] down,” Medeiros said. “I’m not surprised. I’m not saying they’re little b--ches, but you know what I mean? You get to choose your fight, who you want to fight? … I don’t feel I’ve made a name for myself to even do something like that, say, ‘No, no, I don’t want to fight this guy.’ I’ve got to fight whoever they put in front of me.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:03:59).

Comments

UFC 215 lineup set with 2 title fights in Edmonton, including Demetrious Johnson's quest for record

The lineup is set for the UFC’s return trip to Canada next month, including a pair of title fights at the top of the bill. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Paulie, Canelo, Golovkin: Crossover Fights for Conor McGregor to Consider

Conor McGregor had the most lucrative boxing debut of all time. It's safe to say he has more opportunities than any 0-1 fighter coming off a TKO loss. Given the skills and mettle he showed while surv read news >>

Volkov vs Struve Fantasy Preview

In today's fantasy preview, we'll examine these fights and several more to see who has the advantage going into Saturday's card and who might be primed for an upset at UFC Fight Night: Volkov vs. Str read news >>

Jose Aldo Wants to Finish Fights in UFC Contract to Start Boxing, Coach Says

Former UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo may soon follow in the footsteps of Conor McGregor and take his talents to the boxing ring. "He’s training boxing because he has this dream of competing in read news >>

Struve believes he's best he's ever been

Almost nine years and 18 fights into his UFC career, Stefan Struve is finally starting to show just how dangerous he can be inside the Octagon. The 29-year-old returns to action Saturday, headlining read news >>

After 2-year struggle to get fights, Antonio Paulo Branjao thankful for LFA 21 headliner

“TUF: Brazil 3” alum and LFA 21 headliner Antonio Paulo Branjao hasn’t fought in more than two years, but he hasn’t been idle in training.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, News read news >>

The 10: September’s Most Anticipated, Intriguing and Exciting Matchups

Here’s a look at the most compelling, competitive and important fights set to hit the cage in the month ahead. This is The 10. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 115's Alexander Volkov credits Russian media for making Stefan Struve fight

To hear Alexander Volkov tell it, the Russian media is why he’s facing Stefan Struve at UFC Fight Night 115 – not that he was opposed.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Elite Eight - Demetrious Johnson Fights

Demetrious “Mighty Mouse” Johnson isn’t just one of the most dominant champions competing in the Octagon at the moment; he may be one of the most dominant ever. As we await Saturday night’s card in E read news >>

UFC 215: Johnson vs Borg Fantasy Preview

In today's fantasy preview, we'll examine the two title fights and plenty more from this upcoming card to see who has the edge and who might be primed for an upset at UFC 215: Johnson vs. Borg. Order read news >>