#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Tony Ferguson #GSP #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Nick Diaz #Michael Bisping #Holly Holm #Anderson Silva #Demetrious Johnson #Fight Night Rotterdam #Pancrase

Johny Hendricks has earned the next shot at the UFC welterweight title, but that doesn’t mean his chance will come against champion Georges St. Pierre.

At this point, it isn’t clear if St. Pierre will defend his 170-pound gold again or move up in weight to fight Anderson Silva. Either way, Hendricks is certain he’ll be fighting for a belt next.

“If he goes up, I get a shot at the interim belt,” Hendricks told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “I know there’s going to be one, and also, I know that he’s not going to come back down. He’s already said that if he goes up to 185, he’s never going to come back down to 170. That’s fine. I’d like to fight GSP just because he’s done so much in the 170 class, but if I don’t get to fight him, the more important thing is that belt. That belt is the most important thing of anybody’s career. If he moves away and goes up, then I know I’ve got the shot at the belt.”

Hendricks has won six straight in the UFC, including a unanimous decision over Carlos Condit in March at UFC 158. He took that bout after thinking he’d already earned a title shot by knocking out Martin Kampmann last November. Nick Diaz got the next crack at GSP, though, and now Hendricks isn’t sure he’ll ever get to fight him.

“I want that fight to happen,” Hendricks said. “I want to fight Georges St. Pierre. He’s the guy who’s had the belt for the last three or four years at 170. That’s who I want to fight, but also I can’t get into where I want to fight just Georges St. Pierre because let’s say he goes to 185. I can’t run and chase him to 185. The most important part is that belt. That’s what he holds. The thing that he puts around his waist after every fight and carries home, that’s what makes Georges St. Pierre so dominant, is that he’s been able to do that so many times. Yes, I’d like to be able to take it away from him, a shot at taking it away from him, but if he moves up, I want the belt more than Georges St. Pierre.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 32:34).

Galleries

Georges St Pierre GSP Fights

Johny Hendricks Fights

• a year ago

Comments

UFC champ Michael Bisping's ideal scenario could delay retirement past GSP fight

Michael Bisping (sort of) walks back his comments on his last fight potentially being at UFC 217 against Georges St-Pierre.Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Michael Bisping has spies watching GSP, promises first-round KO at UFC 217

UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping (30-7 MMA, 20-7 UFC) puts his belt on the line against former welterweight title holder and all-time MMA great Georges St-Pierre (25-2 MMA, 19-2 UFC) in the read news >>

Watch today's UFC 217 press conference with Bisping, GSP, others at 6:30 p.m. ET

LAS VEGAS – Check out a live stream of today’s UFC 217 press conference, which includes all six title-fight participants, live here on MMAjunkie at 6:30 p.m. ET (3:30 p.m. PT).Filed under: News, UFC, read news >>

Former UFC champ Johny Hendricks packs up trailer and heads for Jackson-Wink MMA

Perhaps a change of scenery will do some good for former UFC welterweight champion Johny Hendricks ahead of his UFC 217 bout.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Ahead of UFC 217 press conference with GSP, watch Michael Bisping's best trash-talk

If you’re going to be in Las Vegas next week, you’ve got a chance to see UFC 217’s headliners – and budding rivals – in person.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Tony Ferguson: 'The Belt is Not That Important; I Want the Hall of Fame' | MMAWeekly.com

Although Tony Ferguson acknowledges that the interim UFC lightweight championship is important, it's not of the ultimate importance to him. read news >>

Bisping joins Conan to talk GSP & UFC 217

Michael Bisping joined Conan last night to discuss his upcoming fight against Georges St-Pierre and much more! Bisping will attempt to defend his middleweight belt for the second time as he and St-Pi read news >>

In new UFC 217 preview, Bisping says GSP was 'a little bitch' for vacating title in 2013

Don’t expect Michael Bisping to show much respect for his upcoming opponent – even a legend of the sport like Georges St-Pierre.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Veteran UFC lightweight Michael Johnson wants top guys if he moves to featherweight

Michael Johnson, now 31, doesn’t have time to waste if he moves down to featherweight.Filed under: Featured, News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>

Michael Bisping Gives a GSP Fan the Double Bird at UFC 217 Press Conference | MMAWeekly.com

Michael Bisping had enough vitriol not only for Georges St-Pierre, but also for one of GSP's fans. read news >>