#UFC Fight Night 83 #Saturday Night Fights #Luke Rockhold #GGG #David Branch #DWTNCS #Conor McGregor #UFC 215 #Michael Bisping #Nate Diaz

Daron Cruickshank was more than impressive Dec. 8 at UFC on Fox 5, dominating Henry Martinez on the feet before finishing him with a head-kick knockout.

In a recent interview with the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show, Cruickshank credited his father for his striking skills, discussed his future and more.

On his parents being martial artists: “Ever since I could remember, my parents taught class and I was always running around in the gym doing martial arts. My mom, she was a professional kickboxer and I saw her fight back in the day just in little shows and stuff. I just grew up around it. I picked it up. The best thing about my growing up with it is my parents really didn’t make me do it. When I was in the gym, it was because I wanted to be there. They never forced it on me, and I was able to have fun with it.”

On whether he always wanted to become a mixed martial artist: “I really wanted to do it when I was in college. When I was wrestling, it was the Matt Hughes era when he was going undefeated, the world champ for a long time. That’s kind of what made me like, ‘Yeah, that’s what I want to do. I want to do that after I’m done wrestling.’ I would train during the summers when I would come back from school, but nothing real serious. Once I was done wrestling and kind of having to move on, I really hit it hard.”

On his striking training: “I have to travel to find sparring partners, and as far as technical striking and all that, I work out at my house, in my garage, with my dad. That’s where I’ve grown up. That’s where it goes down.”

On whether he’d consider a move to a bigger camp: “I’ve been to these big gyms and I’ve checked them out. The good thing about these gyms is yes, there’s a lot more talent in one room at a time, but technically, I don’t get what I get at home from anybody else. My dad’s my striking coach. He has everything that he’s done in his past. He came about when the JKD era was around and it was big. That’s when mixed martial arts really, I believe, came together, with Bruce Lee and putting it all together and trying different arts and that philosophy. That’s where I get my stuff from is my dad. My dad’s about to be 60 years old. I don’t have that much more time with him. I want to take as much as I can learn from him as possible. If I go out and move to Arizona or California or Vegas, then I’m not going to be able to get that.”

On his win over Henry Martinez: “He’s a tough dude. When they gave me the name Henry Martinez and [asked] would you want to fight him, my dad looked him up and was like, ‘He’s Mexican and he’s going to be tough. He’s going to be able to take a shot.’ That’s basically what happened. The guy can definitely handle some shots. For me, I don’t pride myself on being able to take a hit. I pride myself on not getting hit and being able to hit.”

On what he wants to accomplish in 2013: “I would like to try to get maybe four fights in the year and work my way up the ladder.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 56:05).

Comments

DWCS winner Julian Marquez to make debut vs. Vitor Miranda at UFC on FOX 26

How will Julian Marquez follow up his ferocious win on Dana White’s Contender Series?Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Glover Teixeira vs. Misha Cirkunov moved from Brazil to UFC on FOX 26 in Canada

Brazil’s loss is Canada’s gain as Glover Teixeira vs. Misha Cirkunov has been moved to Winnipeg.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

… (UFC 215 Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

(Video courtesy of UFC on FOX | Viewing may be limited by broadcast rights restrictions) Check out highlights from .... at UFC 215 on Saturday in Edmonton. UFC 215 took place on Saturday, Sept. 9, at read news >>

Tim Elliott vs. Justin Scoggins added to UFC on FOX 26 in Winnipeg

December’s UFC on FOX 26 lineup has a few flyweight addition: former title challenger Tim Elliott vs. Justin Scoggins.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Issues Statement on Johnson vs. Borg Cancellation | MMAWeekly.com

UFC 215: Johnson vs. Borg took a major blow to the head late Thursday evening when the main event was canceled. Having been struck with an illness, Ray Borg was medically ruled unfit to compete less read news >>

New UFC 215 Main Event Set as Amanda Nunes and Valentina Shevchenko Make Weight | MMAWeekly.com

Though UFC president Dana White said he wouldn't put Amanda Nunes in a main event right away after she withdrew from UFC 213 on the day of the fight, he had no choice but to do so for this weekend's read news >>

UFC 215 Predictions: Main Card Staff Picks

The UFC will mark its second entry of a busy month when the Octagon travels to Edmonton, Canada, this Saturday, September 9, for UFC 215. The fight-card is looking a little worse for the wear after m read news >>

UFC 215 staff picks: Who's picking title change in new Nunes-Shevchenko main event?

Check out our staff’s picks for the UFC 215 main card in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, where now just one title is on the line.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Watch the UFC 215 Weigh-In Live at 6 PM ET | MMAWeekly.com

Watch the UFC 215 ceremonial weigh-in live on Friday, September 8 at 6 p.m. ET from Rogers Place in Edmonton, Canada. read news >>

UFC 215 weigh-in photos and video highlights: Title fight (no, not that one) is set

Check out the video highlights and photo gallery from today’s early and official UFC 215 fighter weigh-ins, where the headlining title fight was cleared.Filed under: News, Photo Gallery, UFC read news >>