#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #GSP #Tony Ferguson #Fight Night Rotterdam #Nate Diaz #Darren Till #Kevin Lee #Dominick Cruz #Donald Cerrone #Michael Bisping #Robbie Lawler #Cody Garbrandt

A title shot could come quickly at 145 pounds for Kenny Florian. | File Photo: Dave Mandel

Kenny Florian makes his featherweight debut Saturday at UFC 131, and he thinks his matchup against Diego Nunes offers an opportunity to jump straight into the title mix at 145 pounds.

“I think if you look at what I’ve done at 155 and what I’ve done in my career, bringing the skills and the experience that I have … beating a guy in the top five in the world, yeah, I think that puts me in line for a shot right away,” Florian said recently during an interview on the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “Who knows? We’ll see. I think it definitely does.”

It was actually an expected matchup against featherweight champion Jose Aldo at 155 pounds that got Florian thinking about a move to 145. When Aldo decided not to go up to lightweight and the fight fell through, Florian began looking into whether it was possible to drop down.

“When I found out that it was, the next step was, how can we get there?” Florian said. “How can we make that happen? How can we fight the best fighters possible? That’s what I was motivated for.”

To make 145 pounds, Florian had to start his diet much earlier in his training camp. For a disciplined athlete, however, that hasn’t been much of an issue.

“I’ve been hitting the schedule every month, every week,” Florian said. “I feel great. The workouts have been phenomenal. I still have a lot of energy. It’s been the best camp of my life, and here I am going down another weight class. Maybe this has been the weight class for me all along?”

For his first featherweight bout, the UFC has matched Florian against Diego Nunes. The Brazilian is ranked No. 7 in the world by Sherdog.com and knocked off former WEC champion Mike Thomas Brown earlier this year.

“They gave me Diego Nunes, and when I found that out, I said great. That’s a fight worth going down for,” Florian explained. “Again, I’m not in here to beat guys up. I want to face the best, and Diego Nunes is one of the best in the world at 45.”

Of course, one benefit of fighting top competition is where a win can put you in the title picture. That’s a big part of Florian’s motivation.

“I want to put myself in the position to fight for the belt, and it’s not going to happen against just a regular Joe Shmoe,” he said. “It’s gotta happen against one of the top guys in the world. For those who want to get a title shot, you have to prove yourself. What better way to prove yourself than to face one of Jose Aldo’s training partners?”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:08:30).

Comments

Does the UFC have a real future in China?

After testing the waters with a trio of events in Macau, the UFC soon makes its debut in Mainland China. Is there a future there, though?Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Kevin Lee Makes Weight After Dramatic Scare at UFC 216 Weigh-Ins | MMAWeekly.com

Kevin Lee needed an extra hour, but eventually made weight for UFC 216. read news >>

Demetrious Johnson Makes History with Incredible Finish (UFC 216 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Flyweight Demetrious Johnson made history on Saturday at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas defending his UFC title more than any other fighter in the promotion's history. In one-sided fashion, Johnson domi read news >>

UFC's Henry Cejudo details escape from California wildfires: I was 'literally in a ring of fire'

Henry Cejudo feels grateful to be alive after jumping from his second-floor hotel window to escape raging wildfires.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Aljamain Sterling: 2 more UFC wins makes me an 'appealing fight' for bantamweight title

• 10 hours ago

Aljamain Sterling is confident and has a good understanding of where he stands in the UFC bantamweight title picture.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Fabricio Werdum Makes Quick Work of Walt Harris, Wants His Belt Back (UFC 216 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Fabricio Werdum made quick work of last-minute replacement Walt Harris at UFC 216 and then took aim at Stipe Miocic. read news >>

UFC 216 results: Mara Romero Borella makes easy work of Kalindra Faria for first-round tap

Kalindra Faria was more than a 2-1 favorite against fellow newcomer Mara Romero Borella, but the underdog wiped that out almost immediately.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC 216 results: Beneil Dariush strong early, but Evan Dunham rallies to force majority draw

Evan Dunham rallied in the second and third rounds after a rough first to force a majority draw against Beneil Dariush.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC 216 results: Fabricio Werdum taps late-notice replacement Walt Harris in 65 seconds

It took Fabricio Werdum only 65 seconds to submit Walt Harris in their heavyweight fight after Harris moved up from the prelims.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Twitter reacts to Demetrious Johnson's insane submission, record-setting title defense at UFC 216

See the top Twitter reacts to Demetrious Johnson’s title defense vs. Ray Borg in the UFC 216 co-main event.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>