#UFC 217 #Conor McGregor #Michael Bisping #GSP #TJ Dillashaw #Cody Garbrandt #UFC Fight Night 55

Jared Rosholt Team TakedownFollowing four wins in his first four fights, heavyweight up-and-comer Jared Rosholt suffered the first loss of his career last year.

While the loss was indeed a setback, it could ultimately be more beneficial to Rosholt as he feels he’s become a better fighter for it.

“Looking back at that loss, I learned more from that fight than I did from the four wins before that,” he said. “I think maybe I made the mistake of coming back too soon after having reconstructive surgery on my ACL. I just wanted to get back in there and get after it, and I think I just wasn’t as prepared as I needed to be.”

Rather than overhaul his training following the loss, Rosholt stayed the course and with continued improving health has become a more developed fighter.

“I think with more time that has passed with the knee surgery it’s more in the back of my mind now to where I feel it’s 100-percent strong,” he said. “I’m not worried if I kick and twist on it that something is going to happen or if it’s going to tear again.”

Rosholt will be looking to rebound on Friday night against Richard Odoms as part of Legacy FC 17 in San Antonio, Texas, live on AXS TV.

“I don’t have anything bad to say about the guy or anything like that, but I think that I’ll be able to beat him at any avenue I want to take,” said Rosholt. “I’m confident right now in what I’ve been working on.

“With all the big guys I’ve had come into this camp, and prior to this camp, I’ve felt really good against them. I think that’s going to transfer over into this fight. We’ve got some big guys down here with us right now who have long range that are tall, so it’s a good feel for Odom.”

On paper it would seem that it would be most advantageous for Rosholt to close the gap against the taller, lankier Odom right away and take the fight to the ground, but he says it’s not so. Rosholt told MMAWeekly.com that he feels he can work at any distance and wait for an opening to appear rather than make a mistake trying to force it.

“I’ve been working distance a lot more, so I feel really well about staying out of range and then moving into my range,” said Rosholt. “If I need to go forward, I’m confident doing that if I need to get in closer to get a takedown.”

Following a sparse year in which he only fought once, Rosholt is eager to get back to busier times and build himself into a legitimate contender in the heavyweight division.

“I’m really thinking this is going to be my year where I’ll have a couple big wins and keep moving up and get into the biggest show I can get into,” said Rosholt. “That’s a long-term goal for the year, but I’m sure after each fight I’ll sit back and reevaluate what I’ve got to work on.

“It was a really disappointing last year, year and a half. After having those first four fights, I spent that whole year out having that surgery done, had one fight and now here we are another five or six months later. I definitely want to pick it up and get back to where it was.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Comments

Joanna Jedrzejczyk Admits Moving to Flyweight Would Be ‘the Biggest Challenge in My Fighting Career’

Joanna Jedrzejczyk still has some work to do at strawweight before she decides whether or not to move to 125 pounds. read news >>

Saad Awad looking for more respect after 15th Bellator fight, knockout of Freeman

Fifteen fights into his Bellator career, lightweight Saad Awad has grown a little tired of being just another fighter. Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Bellator 186's Ed Ruth: 'Sky's the limit' after big knockout win

Wrestling standout Ed Ruth called his Bellator 186 knockout win “a game-changer” for his MMA career moving forward.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Matt Brown Reflects on Career Heading Into Final UFC Fight | MMAWeekly.com

Matt "The Immortal" Brown reflects on an unforgettable UFC career before making his final walk to the Octagon to take on veteran Diego Sanchez this Saturday. read news >>

Twitter Mailbag: On McGregor's career crossroads, Holloway's replacement challenger, and more

Is Conor McGregor at a crossroads concerning his next choice of opponent? Who should step up to challenge Max Holloway for the UFC featherweight title? And is tapping to strikes really so bad? All th read news >>

Bellator 187 results: McKee stays unbeaten, but McGregor's behavior steals spotlight

A.J. McKee kept his perfect career record intact, but it was UFC superstar Conor McGregor who stole the spotlight with a nasty incident.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

UFC Fight Night 120 results: Karl Roberson stays perfect, taps out Darren Stewart

Undefeated middleweight prospect Karl Roberson kept his perfect career record intact, debuting in the UFC with a first-round win over Darren Stewart.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Michael Bisping Replaces Anderson Silva at UFC Shanghai After Failed Drug Test

Michael Bisping suffered one of the toughest losses of his UFC career at UFC 217, dropping the middleweight championship to Georges St-Pierre after getting choked out cold. So how is the Brit recover read news >>

Sage Northcutt focused solely on UFC career with college no longer holding him back

21-year-old Sage Northcutt is ready to get serious about MMA with a little help from Team Alpha Male as he moves past UFC-Norfolk.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Michael Bisping Replaces Anderson Silva at UFC Shanghai After Failed Drug Test