Jared Rosholt Team TakedownFollowing four wins in his first four fights, heavyweight up-and-comer Jared Rosholt suffered the first loss of his career last year.

While the loss was indeed a setback, it could ultimately be more beneficial to Rosholt as he feels he’s become a better fighter for it.

“Looking back at that loss, I learned more from that fight than I did from the four wins before that,” he said. “I think maybe I made the mistake of coming back too soon after having reconstructive surgery on my ACL. I just wanted to get back in there and get after it, and I think I just wasn’t as prepared as I needed to be.”

Rather than overhaul his training following the loss, Rosholt stayed the course and with continued improving health has become a more developed fighter.

“I think with more time that has passed with the knee surgery it’s more in the back of my mind now to where I feel it’s 100-percent strong,” he said. “I’m not worried if I kick and twist on it that something is going to happen or if it’s going to tear again.”

Rosholt will be looking to rebound on Friday night against Richard Odoms as part of Legacy FC 17 in San Antonio, Texas, live on AXS TV.

“I don’t have anything bad to say about the guy or anything like that, but I think that I’ll be able to beat him at any avenue I want to take,” said Rosholt. “I’m confident right now in what I’ve been working on.

“With all the big guys I’ve had come into this camp, and prior to this camp, I’ve felt really good against them. I think that’s going to transfer over into this fight. We’ve got some big guys down here with us right now who have long range that are tall, so it’s a good feel for Odom.”

On paper it would seem that it would be most advantageous for Rosholt to close the gap against the taller, lankier Odom right away and take the fight to the ground, but he says it’s not so. Rosholt told MMAWeekly.com that he feels he can work at any distance and wait for an opening to appear rather than make a mistake trying to force it.

“I’ve been working distance a lot more, so I feel really well about staying out of range and then moving into my range,” said Rosholt. “If I need to go forward, I’m confident doing that if I need to get in closer to get a takedown.”

Following a sparse year in which he only fought once, Rosholt is eager to get back to busier times and build himself into a legitimate contender in the heavyweight division.

“I’m really thinking this is going to be my year where I’ll have a couple big wins and keep moving up and get into the biggest show I can get into,” said Rosholt. “That’s a long-term goal for the year, but I’m sure after each fight I’ll sit back and reevaluate what I’ve got to work on.

“It was a really disappointing last year, year and a half. After having those first four fights, I spent that whole year out having that surgery done, had one fight and now here we are another five or six months later. I definitely want to pick it up and get back to where it was.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Bellator 171's Melvin Guillard eyes fight with Paul Daley, wants to avoid B.J. Penn-like career end

Melvin Guillard has a bout with Chidi Njokuani lined up for Friday’s Bellator 171 event, but he’s already considering what could come after, and he’s seeking an explosive fight in the welterweight di read news >>

Pena vs. Shevchenko Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC on Fox 23

With Ronda Rousey's career possibly over, the UFC women's bantamweight division is officially trying to move on. The first step in doing so? Determining the next challenger for reigning champion Aman read news >>

UFC on FOX 23 video highlights: Jason Knight vs. Alex Caceres

In the biggest fight of his career, Jason Knight came through with flying colors, and “The Kid” may have graduated to manhood at UFC on FOX 23.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Check Out Michael Bisping's Post-Surgery Elephant Leg (pic) | MMAWeekly.com

Following surgery, Michael Bisping showed off his shaven leg on Instagram. read news >>

MMAjunkie's 'Knockout of the Month' for January: You saw Paul Daley's flying-knee finish, right?

With another action-packed month of MMA in the books, MMAjunkie takes a look at the best knockouts from January. Check here are the five nominees, listed in chronological order, and winner of MMAjunk read news >>

UFC Fight Night 104 results: Khalil Rountree crushes Daniel Jolly with vicious knee

HOUSTON – Khalil Rountree may have needed three tries to get his first UFC victory, but against Daniel Jolly he needed less than a minute to end the fight in violent fashion. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 104 video: Check out Khalil Rountree's knee to the noggin that put Jolly's lights out

Khalil Rountree picked one helluva way to get his first win in the UFC. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Holm, de Randamie look for career-defining wins; Silva, Brunson want more at UFC 208

Everyone that steps into the Octagon does so for their own reasons, but next Saturday night at Barclays Center, Holly Holm and Germaine de Randamie will enter the UFC’s eight-sided proving ground wit read news >>

Khalil Rountree Opens UFC Houston with a Crushing Knee to the Face (Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out Khalil Rountree's crushing show-opening knockout of Daniel Jolly at UFC Fight Night 104 in Houston. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 104 results: Curtis Blaydes throws Adam Milstead around, wrecks his knee for TKO

HOUSTON – Curtis Blaydes used every bit of a 30-plus pound advantage to ragdoll Adam Milstead around the octagon.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>