#Fight Night Stockholm #Alexander Gustafsson #Glover Teixeira #Colosseum #Conor McGregor #Dynasty of Heroes #Mariusz Pudzianowski #Fight One #TKO #Marcin Held #UFC 211

Quinton Rampage Jackson at UFC 135

When the Ultimate Fighting Championship announced it would hold an event in Japan for the first time in nearly 12 years, Quinton “Rampage” Jackson knew he wanted to be on the UFC 144 fight card.

Jackson made a name for himself competing in the Japanese-based Pride Fighting Championships.  He fought under the Pride banner for more than five years (2001-2006) accumulating highlight reel finishes and his two epic battles with Wanderlei Silva made him a fan favorite.

“I’m really excited about going back to Japan, there’s no secret about that. I love that place. I think I was so popular in Japan because of my fight style. I was young and I didn’t care. I just wanted to put on fights for the crowd and they love that type of stuff,” Jackson said recently.

“It’s a no-brainer. The UFC is going back to Japan and I got my big break in Japan. I wanted to be there,” he added.  “I couldn’t just say it was on my bucket list, but you know what I’m saying, it was a no-brainer that UFC is putting on a show in Japan and I wanted to be on that card.”

For Jackson, it wasn’t just about returning to Japan to complete at least one more time in front of the rabid combat sports culture there.  Returning to fight in Japan is personal to Jackson.

“It’s very important to me personally.  My kids are from Japan; my kids’ grandparents are from there. They’ve never really watched me fight back in the day, and I’ve got a lot of experience in Japan,” said the former UFC light heavyweight titleholder.

“I really miss the fans; I’m not going to lie. I really miss fighting there. So it was something personal for me. My two younger kids can come watch me fight and the in-laws can be in the crowd and watch me fight. I never had that before, so it is something that I want to do.”

With his fighting roots in Japan and his popularity there, it was a “no-brainer” to put Jackson in the line-up, but it wasn’t that simple.  He had to lobby the UFC to be included on the UFC 144: Edgar vs. Henderson fight card.

“Well, my manager has informed me not to go into that. That could get me in trouble with some people at the UFC. You guys know I had to fight (to get) on this card. That’s all I can go into,” said Jackson on the UFC 144 Japan media conference call.

“I had to fight to be on this card and complain and bitch to my manager. Now I think the representatives of the UFC are upset with me a little bit, but ask me do I care,” said Jackson at a UFC 144 promotional press conference  in December.

At the end of the day, Jackson is on the card and facing Ryan Bader.  It didn’t come without some behind-the-scenes negotiations and hardball, but sometimes that’s what it takes when something is personal to you.

Follow @JeffMMAWeekly on Twitter or e-mail Jeff Cain.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

UFC flyweight Joseph Benavidez breaks down struggles to get another top name in front of him

It ain’t easy being Joseph Benavidez these days, at least in terms of trying to find someone to stand across from him for a fight.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>

Dana White Admits to Giving Conor McGregor 'Longer Leash' Than Others | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White admits that he gives Conor McGregor more leeway than he does other fighters on the fight promotion's roster. read news >>

Report: Once more unto the breach for Vitor Belfort, 'Phenom' gets Nate Marquardt at UFC 212

At 40, and reportedly on the final fight of his current UFC deal, it appears Vitor Belfort will step into the cage one more time in his native Brazil. Belfort (25-14 MMA, 14-10 UFC) appears to be hea read news >>

Your daily Ragin' Al update: Iaquinta now UFC boss, calls out Swanson, releases Northcutt, calls Perry and Lee 'ignorant

Al Iaquinta may not be the UFC’s favorite fighter right now, but he’s making a heck of an impression on social media.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

After 2-fight featherweight experiment, UFC's Renan Barao reportedly heading back to bantamweight

After a two-fight run as a featherweight, former bantamweight champion Renan Barao appears to be ready to move back to 135 pounds. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

The UFC wished Al Iaquinta happy birthday, and the replies were absolutely priceless

F-bombing your boss isn’t generally recommended as the wisest career choice, but for Al Iaquinta, it seems to be working out just fine.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Matt Hamill Wins First Fight in 5 Years in Devastating Fashion (video) | MMAWeekly.com

UFC veteran Matt Hamill won his first fight in nearly five years this weekend, and he did so in devastating fashion. read news >>

Heavyweight champ Daniel Gallemore believes Victory FC 57 win could get him in the UFC

It’s a common story among fighters for major mid-level promotions: One more win, and there’s a good chance I’m getting the call.Filed under: News read news >>

Tyson Nam Takes Out Ali Bagautinov at the Bell (video) | MMAWeekly.com

Tyson Nam took out former UFC flyweight title contenders Ali Bagautinov over the weekend at the last possible moment. read news >>

WSOF Full-Fight Flashback: Marlon Moraes vs. Miguel Torres | MMAWeekly.com

Marlon Moraes is headed to the UFC, but faced former WEC world champion Miguel Torres at the inaugural WSOF1 on November 3, 2012, in Las Vegas. read news >>