#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Tony Ferguson #GSP #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Nick Diaz #Michael Bisping #Holly Holm #Anderson Silva #Demetrious Johnson #Quinton Jackson #Fight Night Rotterdam

Quinton Rampage Jackson at UFC 135

When the Ultimate Fighting Championship announced it would hold an event in Japan for the first time in nearly 12 years, Quinton “Rampage” Jackson knew he wanted to be on the UFC 144 fight card.

Jackson made a name for himself competing in the Japanese-based Pride Fighting Championships.  He fought under the Pride banner for more than five years (2001-2006) accumulating highlight reel finishes and his two epic battles with Wanderlei Silva made him a fan favorite.

“I’m really excited about going back to Japan, there’s no secret about that. I love that place. I think I was so popular in Japan because of my fight style. I was young and I didn’t care. I just wanted to put on fights for the crowd and they love that type of stuff,” Jackson said recently.

“It’s a no-brainer. The UFC is going back to Japan and I got my big break in Japan. I wanted to be there,” he added.  “I couldn’t just say it was on my bucket list, but you know what I’m saying, it was a no-brainer that UFC is putting on a show in Japan and I wanted to be on that card.”

For Jackson, it wasn’t just about returning to Japan to complete at least one more time in front of the rabid combat sports culture there.  Returning to fight in Japan is personal to Jackson.

“It’s very important to me personally.  My kids are from Japan; my kids’ grandparents are from there. They’ve never really watched me fight back in the day, and I’ve got a lot of experience in Japan,” said the former UFC light heavyweight titleholder.

“I really miss the fans; I’m not going to lie. I really miss fighting there. So it was something personal for me. My two younger kids can come watch me fight and the in-laws can be in the crowd and watch me fight. I never had that before, so it is something that I want to do.”

With his fighting roots in Japan and his popularity there, it was a “no-brainer” to put Jackson in the line-up, but it wasn’t that simple.  He had to lobby the UFC to be included on the UFC 144: Edgar vs. Henderson fight card.

“Well, my manager has informed me not to go into that. That could get me in trouble with some people at the UFC. You guys know I had to fight (to get) on this card. That’s all I can go into,” said Jackson on the UFC 144 Japan media conference call.

“I had to fight to be on this card and complain and bitch to my manager. Now I think the representatives of the UFC are upset with me a little bit, but ask me do I care,” said Jackson at a UFC 144 promotional press conference  in December.

At the end of the day, Jackson is on the card and facing Ryan Bader.  It didn’t come without some behind-the-scenes negotiations and hardball, but sometimes that’s what it takes when something is personal to you.

Follow @JeffMMAWeekly on Twitter or e-mail Jeff Cain.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Comments

UFC Fight Night 116 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Check out the social media reactions from the winners and losers at UFC-Pittsburgh from this past Saturday, including ER visits.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

UFC 216 Ferguson vs. Lee Extended Preview: Two Title Fights | MMAWeekly.com

Watch the UFC 216 video preview with two title fights on tap! Tony Ferguson vs. Kevin Lee tops the card, while Demetrious Johnson attempts to make history. read news >>

Daniel Cormier Still At Odds with Being Handed the UFC Belt Jon Jones Took From Him | MMAWeekly.com

Daniel Cormier understands and agrees with why he is once again the UFC light heavyweight champion. He just has a hard time reconciling it emotionally. read news >>

Ferguson-Lee interim title fight takes UFC 216's top billing over Johnson-Borg

Based on a new event poster and the UFC.com bout listing, longtime UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson’s attempt at one of MMA’s most prestigious records will be relegated to co-main-event stat read news >>

You can't always get what you want – but, with his UFC-Japan opponent, Jussier Formiga did

Excited to be in Japan against an opponent he requested in Ulka Sasaki, things may be looking up for Brazilian flyweight Jussier Formiga.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Raphael Assuncao, Sage Northcutt Both Return at UFC Fight Night in Virginia | MMAWeekly.com

The UFC Fight Night card in Norfolk, Virginia continued to grow on Tuesday with a pair of bouts being added to the card taking place on Nov. 11. Top five ranked bantamweight contender Raphael Assunca read news >>

Report: Sage Northcutt to make 2017 debut at UFC Fight Night 120 vs. Michel Quinones

Sage Northcutt is scheduled to fight for the first time this year and will do so at lightweight.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

John Lineker meets Marlon Vera at UFC Fight Night 119 in Sao Paulo

Brazilian heavy hitter John Lineker meets Ecuadorian up-and-comer Marlon Vera in a bantamweight encounter.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Throwing it back to UFC 1, Combate Americas announces 1-night $100,000 tournament

Combate Americas is going old school with a one-night tournament in Mexico.Filed under: News read news >>

UFC Fight Night 117: Saint Preux vs. Okami Live Results and Fight Stats | MMAWeekly.com

Follow along for UFC Fight Night 117: Saint Preux vs. Okami full live results and fight stats. First fight is slated for 7:30 pm ET on Saturday. read news >>