#UFC 217 #UFC Fight Night 55 #GSP #Michael Bisping #Conor McGregor

Demetrious Johnson will be vying for the UFC flyweight championship Saturday when he meets Joseph Benavidez at UFC 152.

Before his shot at the title, he joined host Jack Encarnacao on the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Rewind” show to discuss his youth, MMA and more.

Johnson on his mother being deaf: “I didn’t know she was deaf until I got a lot older because just the way she raised us was each time we talked to somebody, we looked them in the eye, so she could read our lips. We were in different rooms and we’d scream her name, and she said to always to pound on the ground or on the wall and then [she’d] come because she could feel the vibrations in the house. Being raised by her, it went well because she just made it work for her. We were living in her world.

“As I got older, my sister goes, ‘You know Mom’s deaf, right?’ I was like, ‘No, she’s not,’ and she goes, ‘Yeah, she is.’ Then I went to my mom and I was like, ‘Hey, are you deaf?’ She goes, ‘Yeah,’ and I was like, ‘What?’ It was a little shocking, but at the same time, she did what she had to do. ... Even now, if my wife’s in the shower, if she starts banging on something to get like lotion out of something, I’ll come running to her because I’m so used to it.”

On not knowing his father: “There was just no father figure ever there at the household, so my mom had to do both roles. I just rolled with the punches and just went with the flow. My friends, obviously, when I’d go over to their house and I’d see their dad and mom, I would listen to what his dad said to him and I would see how his father treats his mother. I picked up tips from there, but other than that, there was nobody at home telling me you need to do this and this as a father figure. It was always my mom telling me what I needed to do in school and even when I did sports. She goes, ‘If you want to do anything, just go do it. Don’t let anybody tell you any different.’”

On his parenting outlook now: “I guess you could say I come from a broken household and I believe my wife does too. I think we’re going to break that cycle. We’re going to stay together for the rest of our lives and be here for our children. That’s my plan.”

On why he started wrestling: “I took up wrestling because I was tired of, honestly, being punished for people’s lack of dedication in football. I would go to football practice and the next thing you know, kids are in the bathroom smoking weed. Coach would come in and be like, ‘Oh OK, you guys are running gassers all day.’ I was like, ‘This is BS.’ The next season was wrestling, and I wanted to do wrestling because it was just a one-on-one sport. At the end of the day, the whole team could lose, but if I won my match, then I won my match. That’s one thing I loved about wrestling. As the years went on, I just fell in love with it.”

On playing football: “I was the smallest guy on the team. When I made tackles, I’d just jump on people’s back and call my teammates to help and jump on me, then take the guy down. ... I was too small. I’d jump on their back and wrap my legs around him, and they’d be hopping away and then the rest of the team would come jump on me.”

On “The Ultimate Fighter” sparking his interest in MMA: “It was the one that Rashad Evans was on. He was a cast member on it and he was punching the bag. I was like, ‘Man, this guy can punch. He knows his stuff.’ That’s when I decided to go do it. ... I guess they showed more of the training aspect of it, of mixed martial arts. I was like, ‘I think I’m going to give it a try.’”

On his first MMA fight: “I was very influenced by Andrei Arlovski at this time, by his style, the way he moved. I went out there and I threw some hands and was successful there. Then I took the guy down. I was beating him up and I could have finished him, but I was like, ‘You know what? I’m going to get up. I’ve got to work my standup.’ I jumped off him and I started working on my standup a little bit more and then I took him back down, then ended up TKOing him in, I think it was, the first or second round.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 41:54).

Galleries

Demetrious Johnson Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Is Dana White Pushing Mark Hunt Out of the UFC? 'They Turned on the Whistleblower' | MMAWeekly.com

Saying that he is healthy and medically fit to fight, Mark Hunt claims Dana White and the UFC are trying to push him out. read news >>

Take A Look At The Intense Rivalry Between Cody Garbrandt and TJ Dillashaw (UFC 217 Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Former teammates turned rivals Cody Garbrandt and TJ Dillashaw are ready to settle the score in the Octagon for the bantamweight title at UFC 217 on Saturday. read news >>

Cody Garbrandt Explains Why 'All Eyes' Are on Demetrious Johnson After He Finishes T.J. Dillashaw at UFC 217 | MMAWeekly

Cody Garbrandt wants to make history. The 26-year old Ohio native has never been shy vocalizing his goals, which played a large part in his fast rise to fame in 2016 when he went from an unranked pro read news >>

Demetrious Johnson Helps Launch EA Sports' UFC 3

Demetrious Johnson was on hand to play games and talk to the media for the launch of UFC 3 by EA Sports. A small group of media and the flyweight champ got to go behind the scenes of new release. read news >>

T.J. Dillashaw after UFC 217 title win: Demetrious Johnson can't run from me anymore

T.J. Dillashaw reclaimed his bantamweight title at UFC 217, but he wants a fight with flyweight champ Demetrious Johnson now more than ever.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Relive Georges St-Pierre's Momentous Return With UFC 217 Fight Motion | MMAWeekly.com

(Courtesy of UFC) UFC 217: Bisping vs. St-Pierre turned out to be the juggernaut fight promotion's biggest event of the year, outside of Conor McGregor's foray into boxing. Not only did former welter read news >>

Raphael Assuncao not one for 'fancy stuff,' but thinks consistency warrants UFC title shot

Raphael Assuncao turned his UFC Fight Night 120 win into a statement, knocking Matthew Lopez out cold in the third round of their 135-pound encounter. In what’s becoming a bit of a tradition, he then read news >>

Marlon Moraes calls illegal blows at UFC-Norfolk 'friggin' accident,' wants Jimmie Rivera at UFC 219

Marlon Moraes wants a date with Jimmie Rivera at UFC 219 on Dec. 30 after beating John Dodson at UFC Fight Night 120.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC-Norfolk's Clay Guida knows how baseball's home-run sluggers must feel

Clay Guida thinks UFC Fight Night 120 opponent Joe Lauzon took a few unnecessary strikes, but he was happy to put a “stamp and an exclamation point” on the last fight of his current UFC contract.File read news >>

An Excited Sage Northcutt Reflects on UFC Norfolk Win | MMAWeekly.com

Twenty-one-year-old lightweight prospect Sage Northcutt rebounded from his loss to Mickey Gall with a dominating win over Michel Quiñones on Saturday. read news >>