#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Ovince St. Preux #Gokhan Saki #Bellator 183 #Yushin Okami #UFC Fight Night 83

Daniel Straus Bellator 68Heading into 2012, Bellator featherweight Daniel Straus knew he needed to take chances if he was going to rebound off his loss to Patricio Freire in May of last year.

“Coming off that loss, I learned a lot,” said Straus. “It took a lot out of me. I wasn’t upset for myself, but was more upset with what I didn’t show.

“This year, coming back to Bellator, I wanted to be a different fighter and I wanted to stand out a little bit. I went back to the drawing board with my coaches and teammates and started working really hard. Coming back and getting some solid wins and winning (the Season 6 featherweight) tournament has helped me a lot.”

Having won three straight Bellator fights (four overall) and taking a tournament title would normally be enough for just about any fighter, but as Straus told MMAWeekly.com, he still feels he hasn’t delivered what he’s capable of.

“I’m not going to lie to you, I feel like I can do a lot better than I’ve been doing,” he said. “Even though my fight with Mike Corey was a great, great fight, I had a lot of holes and was missing a lot and didn’t perform to the level that I expected myself to perform. I feel like I have a long way to go.

“I really feel like I have more to offer and I’m just going to continue with that focus and motivation and get to the top.”

Rather than sit back and wait for his promised title shot for winning the tournament, Straus intends to stay busy, starting on Friday night when he takes on former UFC fighter Alvin “Kid” Robinson in Dayton, Ohio, at Bellator 78.

“He’s obviously a great ground guy, and I’m not afraid to go into his territory, but I obviously want to stay away from his strength,” said Straus of Robinson. “He has some solid stand-up. I feel like my stand-up is better, but he’s definitely still dangerous on his feet.

“He has great cardio and has a bunch of finishes, so he’s obviously a guy who knows how to come in shape and get the job done. He’s definitely an opponent to worry about.”

Though he’s in the advantageous position of having a title shot lined up, Straus is not looking past Robinson and intends to fight like he’s got something to prove.

“If you overlook an opponent, you’ll most likely lose that fight, so I try not to look past anybody,” said Straus. “I always feel like I’m the underdog, no matter what. I feel like if I look at it like that, I’ll fight like I’m the underdog and it’s going to give me the win.”

Should Straus get past Robinson, his next step is simple, be crowned Bellator 145-pound champion.

“My goal is to get that belt around my waist,” he said. “I’m waiting for the winner of the Patricio Freire and Pat Curran fight. I’d like to get a win over Alvin and find out who I’m fighting for the belt and get in there and get the job done against them as well.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all of your Bellator news and updates.

Comments

Boxer, Bellator MMA's Heather Hardy: Floyd Mayweather will be aggressive vs. Conor McGregor

Bellator’s Heather Hardy, who competed in both boxing and MMA, is taking Floyd Mayweather at his word about being aggressive.Filed under: Bellator, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Bellator 182 Results: Andrey Koreshkov Beats Anthony Njokuani in Main Event

Andrey Koreshkov defeated Anthony Njokuani via first-round TKO Friday night in Bellator 182's main event at Turning Stone Resort Casino in Verona, New York, to further bolster his case as one of the read news >>

Bellator 182 Results & Fight Highlights: Andrey Koreshkov Crushes Chidi Njokuani | MMAWeekly.com

Former Bellator welterweight champion Andrey Koreshkov continued his climb back into title contention by ground and pounding Chidi Njokuani out. read news >>

Bellator 182 highlights: Watch Koreshkov's overwhelming GNP, Gonzalez's fast-acting guillotine

Check out the video highlights from Bellator 182, which had big ground-and-pound in the main event and a slick guillotine in the co-main.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News, Videos read news >>

Ex-champ Andrey Koreshkov hopes he may have jumped the line for a Bellator title shot

With a dominant win at Bellator 182, ex-champ Andrey Koreshkov would love to think he jumped the line for another welterweight title shot.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News, Videos read news >>

Bellator 182 post-event facts: Unbeaten A.J. McKee makes history

Go inside the numbers from this past Friday’s Bellator 182 event in Verona, N.Y., which saw featherweight A.J. McKee set a new standard.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

Bellator 182 winner Fernando Gonzalez wants eventual title shot, but knows weight comes first

Fernando Gonzalez moved to an impressive 7-1 in Bellator this past Friday, but knows he has to get his weight cuts figured out, and soon.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News, Videos read news >>

Bellator 182's Bruna Ellen happy with big win over Veta Arteaga, but in no rush with her career

After edging Veta Arteaga at Bellator 182 win, Bruna Ellen is satisfied with how the strategy to halt her opponent’s aggression panned out.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Brooke Mayo booked opposite debuting Kaytlin Neil at Bellator 183 in San Jose

After an unsuccessful, but gritty, Bellator debut, Brooke Mayo is set to welcome Kaytlin Neil into the Bellator cage.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator signs prospect Tyree Fortune, twin brother of heavyweight Tyrell Fortune

Bellator has doubled its Fortune.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>