#UFC 218 #UFC Fight Night 123 #Brian Ortega #Cub Swanson #Conor McGregor #Lomachenko vs Rigondeaux #UFC 217 #Francis Ngannou #Alistair Overeem #Max Holloway

SYDNEY – The prevailing notion is that the winner of next month’s UFC 218 showdown between Alistair Overeem and Francis Ngannou will be at the front of the line for a shot at Stipe Miocic’s heavyweight championship.

Fabricio Werdum, however, sees things differently.

“I think I deserve it,” Werdum on Wednesday told MMAjunkie in Sydney.

When Werdum (22-7-1 MMA, 10-4 UFC) says he deserves it, of course, that’s assuming he defeats Marcin Tybura (16-2 MMA, 3-1 UFC) in the FS1-televised main event of UFC Fight Night 121 on Saturday at Qudos Bank Arena. Prelims air on FS1 followed by early prelims on UFC Fight Pass.

Since May of last year, when he lost the title to Miocic, Werdum has alternated losses and wins, and that includes dropping a majority decision to Overeem in July at UFC 213. Most recently, though, Werdum easily dispatched Walt Harris last month, submitting him in 65 seconds at UFC 216.

As impressive as it was, the win over Harris didn’t do Werdum any favors the way a win over Derrick Lewis – who withdrew the day of the fight – would have. But for Werdum, his case as to why he’s deserving of the title shot with a win over Tybura doesn’t come down to just one performance.

“It’s not just about my last fight,” said Werdum, who’s ranked No. 2 in the official UFC rankings. “I think about everything in my career – 20 years of history. I don’t know. I’m just waiting.”

Ngannou (10-1 MMA, 5-0 UFC), officially ranked No. 4, recently told MMAjunkie Radio that he believes a win against No. 1 Overeem (43-15 MMA, 8-4 UFC) definitely will earn him the next title shot, a claim that Werdum is likely to take issue with considering “The Predator’s” relative inexperience. The 40-year-old Werdum is making his 15th UFC appearance on Saturday. Overeem has five fights with the promotion under his belt.

Werdum, it seems, would have an easier time accepting getting passed over for Overeem than he would Ngannou.

“I think I deserve it. Overeem is there, too. I don’t know about Francis being there to fight for a title shot yet,” Werdum said. “I don’t know. I respect him, too. But I think he’s not (ready). Maybe Overeem, yes. But I’m waiting, too.”

All of this become a moot point if Werdum can’t get the job done against Tybura. Werdum has more to lose by facing the eighth-ranked Polish fighter, but Werdum said he isn’t feeling any pressure.

“Zero pressure. I don’t have pressure,” Werdum said. “The pressure comes from training – if you have an injury, different things. But this time I’m good. No injuries. I’m 40, but my mind is 28. Everything is good. I’ve been waiting for this fight. …

“My goal is the belt. It doesn’t matter who has the belt around his waste. My goal is the belt. It doesn’t matter if it’s Miocic or Overeem or other guys. That’s it. This is my big goal.”

For more on UFC Fight Night 121, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Galleries

Alistair Overeem Fights

• a year ago

Fabricio Werdum Fights

• a year ago

Francis Ngannou Fights

Comments

Former Champ Fabricio Werdum Makes His Case for UFC Title Shot | MMAWeekly.com

Former heavyweight champ Fabricio Werdum lays out his case to get another title shot and another crack at champion Stipe Miocic. read news >>

Not to toot his own horn, but Fabricio Werdum knows his UFC title-shot credentials are best

Fabricio Werdum believes he deserves a UFC title shot after picking up his second victory in a 42-day stretch.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 218 results: Francis Ngannou locks up title shot with sickening KO of Alistair Overeem

With one of the most perfect uppercuts you’ll see, Francis Ngannou punched his ticket to a title shot with a KO of Alistair Overeem.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Enough with 'could,' says Francis Ngannou: UFC 218 win will earn me title shot

“I feel I’m next to the goal” of being UFC heavyweight champion, says Francis Ngannou.Filed under: Featured, News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>

Marcin Tybura Wants Title Shot With a Win Over Fabricio Werdum | MMAWeekly.com

Marcin Tybura wants a title shot if he gets past Fabricio Werdum at UFC Fight Night 121 in Australia. read news >>

Twitter reacts to Francis Ngannou's insane KO of Alistair Overeem at UFC 218

See the top Twitter reacts to Francis Ngannou’s victory over Alistair Overeem in the UFC 218 co-main event.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Francis Ngannou Knocks Alistair Overeem Stiff (UFC 218 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Top ranked heavyweight Alistair Overeem took on No. 4 ranked Francis Ngannou in the UFC 218 co-main event on Saturday and got knocked out stiff. read news >>

Dana White Lays Out Who Gets the Stipe Miocic UFC Title Shot | MMAWeekly.com

At a TUF 26 Finale media scrum, UFC president Dana White laid out plans for who gets the next shot at UFC heavyweight champion Stipe Miocic. read news >>

UFC 218 co-main-event breakdown: Can Francis Ngannou stop underdog Alistair Overeem?

MMAjunkie Radio cohost and MMAjunkie contributor Dan Tom provides an in-depth breakdown of all of UFC 218’s main-card bouts. Today, we look at the co-main event.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Francis Ngannou Beats Alistair Overeem via Vicious 1st-Round KO at UFC 218

Francis Ngannou took a huge step toward proving he's the future of the heavyweight division with a first-round knockout victory over Alistair Overeem in the co-main event of UFC 218 at Little Caesars read news >>