#UFC Fight Night 126 #Donald Cerrone #Yancy Medeiros #UFC Fight Night 57 #Derrick Lewis #Marcin Tybura #Sage Northcutt #Curtis Millender #Thiago Alves #Bellator 194

Fabricio Werdum not so sure Alistair Overeem-Francis Ngannou winner deserves UFC title shot

SYDNEY – The prevailing notion is that the winner of next month’s UFC 218 showdown between Alistair Overeem and Francis Ngannou will be at the front of the line for a shot at Stipe Miocic’s heavyweight championship.

Fabricio Werdum, however, sees things differently.

“I think I deserve it,” Werdum on Wednesday told MMAjunkie in Sydney.

When Werdum (22-7-1 MMA, 10-4 UFC) says he deserves it, of course, that’s assuming he defeats Marcin Tybura (16-2 MMA, 3-1 UFC) in the FS1-televised main event of UFC Fight Night 121 on Saturday at Qudos Bank Arena. Prelims air on FS1 followed by early prelims on UFC Fight Pass.

Since May of last year, when he lost the title to Miocic, Werdum has alternated losses and wins, and that includes dropping a majority decision to Overeem in July at UFC 213. Most recently, though, Werdum easily dispatched Walt Harris last month, submitting him in 65 seconds at UFC 216.

As impressive as it was, the win over Harris didn’t do Werdum any favors the way a win over Derrick Lewis – who withdrew the day of the fight – would have. But for Werdum, his case as to why he’s deserving of the title shot with a win over Tybura doesn’t come down to just one performance.

“It’s not just about my last fight,” said Werdum, who’s ranked No. 2 in the official UFC rankings. “I think about everything in my career – 20 years of history. I don’t know. I’m just waiting.”

Ngannou (10-1 MMA, 5-0 UFC), officially ranked No. 4, recently told MMAjunkie Radio that he believes a win against No. 1 Overeem (43-15 MMA, 8-4 UFC) definitely will earn him the next title shot, a claim that Werdum is likely to take issue with considering “The Predator’s” relative inexperience. The 40-year-old Werdum is making his 15th UFC appearance on Saturday. Overeem has five fights with the promotion under his belt.

Werdum, it seems, would have an easier time accepting getting passed over for Overeem than he would Ngannou.

“I think I deserve it. Overeem is there, too. I don’t know about Francis being there to fight for a title shot yet,” Werdum said. “I don’t know. I respect him, too. But I think he’s not (ready). Maybe Overeem, yes. But I’m waiting, too.”

All of this become a moot point if Werdum can’t get the job done against Tybura. Werdum has more to lose by facing the eighth-ranked Polish fighter, but Werdum said he isn’t feeling any pressure.

“Zero pressure. I don’t have pressure,” Werdum said. “The pressure comes from training – if you have an injury, different things. But this time I’m good. No injuries. I’m 40, but my mind is 28. Everything is good. I’ve been waiting for this fight. …

“My goal is the belt. It doesn’t matter who has the belt around his waste. My goal is the belt. It doesn’t matter if it’s Miocic or Overeem or other guys. That’s it. This is my big goal.”

For more on UFC Fight Night 121, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Galleries

Alistair Overeem Fights

• a year ago

Fabricio Werdum Fights

• a year ago

Francis Ngannou Fights

• 2 months ago

Comments

There may never be a better time for 'Jacare' Souza to stroll to a UFC title shot

Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza may very well be the best middleweight to never fight for any form of UFC title. Fortunately for him, the division is wide open now, and just in time for him to make one final read news >>

Dustin Poirier: Eddie Alvarez won't finagle his way to UFC title shot before I earn mine

In a race to the UFC lightweight title, Dustin Poirier believes he’ll ultimately come out ahead of Eddie Alvarez. read news >>

Fabricio Werdum vs. Alexander Volkov set as main event for UFC Fight Night 127 in London

With a little more than six weeks to go, UFC Fight Night 127 finally has a main event. read news >>

Fabricio Werdum Faces Alexander Volkov in Main Event at UFC Fight Night in London | MMAWeekly.com

Former heavyweight champion Fabricio Werdum will return to action in March as he faces upstart contender Alexander Volkov in the new main event just announced for UFC Fight Night in London on March 1 read news >>

Manny Bermudez makes UFC debut in Orlando

One of the top prospects from the New England MMA scene, Massachusetts' Manny Bermudez will make his UFC debut on Feb. 24 in Orlando when he faces fellow bantamweight up and comer Albert Morales at A read news >>

UFC Fight Night 125 pre-event facts: Valentina Shevchenko makes anticipated flyweight debut

The best facts, figures and footnotes about UFC Fight Night 125, which features a Lyoto Machida vs. Eryk Anders middleweight main event. read news >>

Ronda Rousey Officially Joins WWE, Makes First Appearance at Royal Rumble | MMAWeekly.com

Former UFC champion Ronda Rousey has officially transitioned to the WWE read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov Plans to Make Conor McGregor Earn Title Shot after UFC 223 | MMAWeekly.com

Khabib Nurmagomedov says that he will be fighting for the undisputed title at UFC 223 but if Conor McGregor wants a shot, he's going to have to get in line. read news >>

Stipe Miocic Sits Atop UFC 220 Fighter Salaries | MMAWeekly.com

Stipe Miocic sat atop the UFC 220 fighter salaries, followed closely by Francis Ngannou and Daniel Cormier. read news >>