#UFC Fight Night 83 #Saturday Night Fights #GGG #Luke Rockhold #David Branch #Phoenix Fight Night #Vengeance Fighting Alliance #Duelo De Giagantes

After losing to Junior dos Santos in 2008, Fabricio Werdum embarked on a career outside the UFC, signing with Strikeforce and earning the biggest victory of his life against heavyweight legend Fedor Emelianenko.

The BJJ black belt returned to the Octagon this month with an important victory over Roy Nelson at UFC 143 and is now preparing to serve as Wanderlei Silva’s jiu-jitsu coach on “The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil.” Speaking this week with Sherdog.com, Werdum gave his thoughts on the Nelson fight, why he thinks “Big Country” could flourish at 205 pounds, and his desire to fight on the UFC’s June card in Brazil.

Fabricio Werdum: The concern wasn’t with his tactics, but with our own. I was very focused on training, and what inspired me was Wanderlei’s victory over Cung Le [at UFC 139]. I was there and saw the very good communication between [trainer] Rafael Cordeiro, Andre Dida and Wand. I looked up to that. I saw that Wand followed the tactic strictly, because it was an important fight for him to win. So, I wanted to do the same. What we planned on in training, we did in the fight.

Werdum: I was expecting it. It’s a characteristic of Roy’s, to withstand a beating. If there was another fighter who got cut like that, they could be shaken. One thing I didn’t feel from him was his strength. I don’t know if it was the diet or what he did to lose weight, but his strength wasn’t what I expected. We were sparring in the gym with Orlando Sanchez; he’s very strong and 275 pounds, so we hired him. We did a lot of clinch training, but in the fight, I didn’t feel pressure from Nelson. I was careful of his right hand because, yes, it’s heavy, but I didn’t feel his strength in the clinch.

Werdum: There’s nothing right now, but I’m pushing to fight at UFC in Sao Paulo. I’ll make it happen. Since I’m part of Wand’s team on “TUF,” it would be cool to fight at this event also, to complete our work. You can do the “TUF” well and then fight.

Werdum: When I entered and the song played, I laughed. I like the mood of the music, and it’s so popular in Brazil right now that I thought of the crowd in Sao Paulo singing the song. I’m imagining it in the UFC show in Sao Paulo. It would be like Paulo Thiago’s entrance [at UFC 134 in Rio], where everyone sang “Tropa de Elite.”

Werdum: I think he’s suited to be stronger at light heavyweight. Maybe it’s just like Samson, cutting his hair and losing his strength (laughs). He showed the world that he can be strong in any category. He knocked out Brendan Schaub and “Cro Cop” [Mirko Filipovic]. He would do well in our division, but I think it’s better for him to go to light heavyweight.

Galleries

Junior Dos Santos Fights

• 4 months ago

Fabricio Werdum Fights

• a year ago

Roy Nelson Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Rocky Marciano Jr. says Floyd Mayweather doesn't deserve record in an 'exhibition match'

Rocky Marciano Jr. said his father’s revered career boxing record of 49-0 should not be at risk Saturday night with Floyd Mayweather expected to improve to 50-0 against Conor McGregor.Filed under: Ne read news >>

Geje Eustaquio Faces Kairat Akhmetov at ONE: Total Victory in Jakarta | MMAWeekly.com

Former flyweight champion Kairat Akhmetov faces a fast turnaround after losing his title in Macau last month. read news >>

Dana White: Jon Jones is the Best Ever, but This Might Be the End of His Career | MMAWeekly.com

Jon Jones could be facing the end of his storied career. read news >>

Dana White Says Jon Jones' Potential UFC 214 Drug Violation Might End His Career

UFC President Dana White has admitted Jon Jones' potential steroid violation before his UFC 214 win against Daniel Cormier may spell the end of his MMA career. The UFC confirmed in an official statem read news >>

Conor McGregor Fires Back at Floyd Mayweather's Claims He Won't Make Weight

On Tuesday, Floyd Mayweather claimed Conor McGregor was at least 10 pounds overweight and suggested he wouldn't be able to cut the weight in time to make the 154-pound limit for Saturday night's figh read news >>

Watch Floyd Mayweather Hand Canelo Alvarez His First Career Loss | MMAWeekly.com

On Sept. 14, 2013, former pound-for-pound champion Floyd "Money” Mayweather unified super welterweight titles against Mexican superstar Canelo Alvarez. read news >>

Ray Borg says he's going to end Demetrious Johnson's career in UFC 215 title fight

Ray Borg believes he’s not only going to upset UFC flyweight champ Demetrious Johnson, but also retire him at UFC 215.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Bellator 182's Joey Davis' modest goals for MMA career? 'I want to be the next big thing'

Four-time NCAA Division II national champion and unbeaten wrestler Joey Davis already is daring to dream big ahead of Bellator 182.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Mayweather vs. McGregor Purse: Known Prize Money Payout Distribution

Floyd Mayweather Jr. improved to 50-0 in his illustrious boxing career and handled Conor McGregor during Saturday's fight at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, but both men will reportedly take home pl read news >>

Don't mind Conor McGregor, who enjoyed sipping whiskey after losing to Floyd Mayweather

The fact that he was TKO’d by Floyd Mayweather did not seem to dampen Conor McGregor’s spirit.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>