#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Bellator 183 #Claudia Gadelha #Jessica Andrade #Bellator MMA #Conor McGregor #Fight Night Pittsburgh #Ovince St. Preux #Paul Daley

fabio-maldonado-10.jpgBARUERI, Brazil – Although a knee injury hampered his training for a fight against Joey Beltran at UFC Fight Night 29, Fabio Maldonado was in good spirits following a split call.

Good enough spirits, that is, to make a few requests about his next bout. And Maldonado thought none other than Chael Sonnen would make a good opponent for his next UFC appearance.

Or, if Sonnen was unavailable, Australian striker James Te-Huna.

“Of course, it’s serious,” said Maldonado when asked about inklings of his preference on social media. “I would love to fight Chael Sonnen. I would like to fight James Te Huna. James is a great striker, and Chael, a lot of people think he would kill my game, that he would tie me up. But I’m very well-trained.

“It’s hard for you to see my jiu-jitsu, but I can turn it around. I would do well against James, as well.”

Sonnen, of course, is scheduled to meet Rashad Evans at next month’s UFC 167 in Las Vegas, and Te Huna meets Mauricio “Shogun” Rua at UFC Fight Night 33. Maldonado (20-6 MMA, 3-3 UFC) had just fought a hard three rounds, however, so he may not have remembered their schedules.

The Brazilian slugger, who transitioned into MMA after amassing an undefeated record in boxing, faced Beltran (14-9 MMA, 4-6 UFC) on the FOX Sports 1-televised main card of Wednesday’s event, which took place at Jose Correa Arena in Barueri, Sao Paulo, Brazil.

The final judges’ scorecards were 28-29, 29-28 and 29-28, with two judges awarding the Brazilian Maldonado two of three rounds.

Maldonado, though, mused that the officials were having coffee with their backs turned to the cage.

“I don’t know what the judges think,” he said. “Sometimes if someone holds someone on the cage and you’re dominating, or you take someone’s back, someone’s getting beat up, just like I did against Beltran.

“But when he held me against the cage, I can stay there all day. I don’t know where they think I lost a round. I don’t know if their judges are from wrestling. I’ve been a referee in Brazil in boxing and in MMA also, and I would always let the fight go. MMA is a mix of everything. That’s what goes.”

In fact, Maldonaldo invited Beltran to press him against the cage, he said, in an effort to “play with the judges.”

“I was just trying to tell him that I can have my back against the cage and still knock him out,” Maldonado said. “And I feel like in the center in the octagon, I was in a better position. I could sprawl better. But I expected him to move forward more. I’ve watched his fights, and I’ve seen him be more aggressive. I wanted to be more aggressive so I could counter him. Maybe I could have been more aggressive, but I think I did better than my last fight.”

If Beltran feels like he didn’t do as well as he could, though, Maldonado said they could go around a second time.

“I told him let’s fight again,” he said. “I told him if he feels there’s anything we need to resolve, I would like to fight again. I think it was a style that matched.”

For complete coverage of UFC Fight Night 29, check out the UFC Events section of the site.

Galleries

Chael Sonnen Fights

• 3 months ago

Comments

Alistair Overeem Calls Out Francis Ngannou, 'The Predator' Responds | MMAWeekly.com

If Francis Ngannou wants a shot at the UFC heavyweight title, he might have to go through Alistair Overeem first. The former title contender took to Twitter on Thursday to send a message to the fears read news >>

Now sitting on 4 straight wins, UFC-Rotterdam's Leon Edwards calls for Donald Cerrone – again

UFC Fight Night 115 winner Leon Edwards wants to showcase his skills for an American audience, preferably against Donald Cerrone.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC-Rotterdam's Zabit Magomedsharipov calls out Artem Lobov, who responds immediately

Artem Lobov isn’t one to back down from a fight, even if he already has one booked.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 115's Siyar Bahadurzada calls out already-booked Matt Brown

On the heels of an impressive win at UFC Fight Night 115, a hyped-up Siyar Bahadurzada called out Matt Brown, who’s currently booked to meet Diego Sanchez.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Sergio Pettis wastes no time, kindly asks UFC 215 winner Henry Cejudo to meet him in Detroit

After an injury forced Henry Cejudo out of a scheduled UFC 211 encounter, flyweight contender Sergio Pettis is hoping the two solve their unfinished business in December.Filed under: Blue Corner, New read news >>

Rafael Dos Anjos Calls Out Tyron Woodley, the UFC Champ Responds On Air | MMAWeekly.com

After dispatching of Neil Magny, Rafael Dos Anjos took aim at UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley. read news >>

Ex-champ Luke Rockhold calls UFC 217 headliner between Michael Bisping, Georges St-Pierre 'a joke'

Luke Rockhold is fighting ex-WSOF champ David Branch at UFC Fight Night 116, but he’ll be ready if there’s a shuffle at the top of UFC 217.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 117 in Japan loses bout due to injury

An injury has forced a change to next week’s UFC Fight Night 117 event in Japan.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Tyron Woodley May Undergo Surgery for Shoulder Injury; Considering Options

UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley has a partial tear of his labrum, and surgery is an option, SiriusXM Radio's R.J. Clifford reported Tuesday. According to Clifford, Woodley will explore all of read news >>

Jon Jones stripped, Daniel Cormier reinstated as champion after UFC 214 result overturned

Daniel Cormier calls the UFC’s decision to strip Jon Jones and award the title back to him “the right thing to do.”Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>