#UFC Fight Night 126 #Bellator 194 #Roy Nelson #Matt Mitrione #Donald Cerrone #Conor McGregor #Yancy Medeiros #UFC Australia

Eye Injury Kept Georges St-Pierre from Fighting Michael Bisping | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White announced in February that former welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre would return to the Octagon. In March, a press conference was held to reveal that St-Pierre would face middleweight champion Michael Bisping in his first fight back since November 2013. The fight promotion was targeting a July date, but St-Pierre stated that he wouldn’t be fight ready until November.

It was unclear why St-Pierre needed so much time to prepare for his Octagon return until Friday. At the C2 Montréal conference, St-Pierre revealed that an eye injury kept him sidelined.Georges St-Pierre

“Trust me, I’m not the kind of guy who thinks, ‘Hey, I’m going to make everybody wait for me. I don’t want to fight during the summer, I want to take my time,” he said. “That’s not the reason. If it were up to me, I would come back. The reason is I had a problem with my eye. I had an injury.”

On the advice of doctors, St-Pierre can not spar until September. “My vision has not been back yet. It will be back. It’s something very minor. The doctor insisted for me that I don’t spar until September,” he said.

St-Pierre said that the UFC was aware of the injury prior to the March press conference, but remained hopeful that he’d be able to return earlier than this winter.

“The UFC was aware of it,” St-Pierre said. “They knew I couldn’t fight during the summer, but they still insisted on doing that press conference with Michael Bisping. And when it happened, we were not very excited about the idea, but we wanted that fight, so we decided to do it, but then it turned into a negative thing because it took so long.

“But UFC knew. Everyone knew. The people concerned knew that that was the case, but they still tried to put pressure on me to fight in July. That’s the reason why I’m coming out public today about the reason why I’m not fighting this summer.”

Bipsing is still recovering from a knee injury and an interim title fight between top middleweight contender Yoel Romero and Robert Whittaker has been booked for UFC 213 on July 8.  White scrapped the St-Pierre and Bisping pairing with plans of a title unification bout between the UFC 213 winner and Bisping to take place when “The Count” is fully recovered.

Galleries

Georges St Pierre GSP Fights

• 4 months ago

Michael Bisping Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Dana White Believes Georges St-Pierre's Return was 'Purely Financial' | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White casts doubt on Georges St-Pierre's medical status, claiming that the former champion's motives were "purely financial." read news >>

Stipe Miocic vs. Daniel Cormier Official for UFC 226 After Coaching on TUF 27 | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White will get his wish after all. On Friday it was announced that heavyweight champion Stipe Miocic will compete in a super fight against light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier read news >>

Dana White Recaps UFC 220, Wants to See Daniel Cormier Fight Stipe Miocic | MMAWeekly.com

UFC President Dana White recaps the UFC 220: Miocic vs. Ngannou pay-per-view from Boston's TD Garden moments following the event. read news >>

Dana White: Referee Mario Yamasaki 'Should Never Set Foot in the Octagon Again' | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White hopes referee Mario Yamasaki never sets foot in the octagon again after not stopping the UFC Fight Night 125 co-main event on Saturday. read news >>

UFC President Dana White Drops Almost $70,000 on Swords on 'Pawn Stars' (VIDEO) | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White is building a weapons room in his home and that's going to require some high end swords like the ones he bought on the latest episode of 'Pawn Stars'. The reality show featur read news >>

Dana White Rips Referee Mario Yamasaki, Promises 'You're Not Going to See Him Again' | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White has had enough of referee Mario Yamasaki. This past Saturday night in Brazil, Yamasaki came under fire after he allowed the women's flyweight fight between Valentina Shevchen read news >>

Tyron Woodley 'Pissed Off' That Dana White Berated Him Over Nate Diaz Fight | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White didn't hold back recently when he criticized UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley for talking about a potential fight with Nate Diaz that White says never came close to ha read news >>

Tyron Woodley Rebukes Dana White, Not Backing Down From 'Money Fights' | MMAWeekly.com

Tyron Woodley continues to rebuke UFC president Dana White's criticism of him talking about a potential fight with Nate Diaz. read news >>

Tyron Woodley Squashing His Beef with Dana White and RDA | MMAWeekly.com

Tyron Woodley is tired of arguing, so he's squashing his beef with UFC president Dana White and moving on. read news >>

Dana White on Ronda Rousey's Future: 'She Won't Fight Again' | MMAWeekly.com

Ronda Rousey still hasn't officially retired but UFC president Dana White all but put the final nail in the coffin of her fight career. This past weekend following UFC 220 in Boston, White addressed read news >>