#UFC 218 #Conor McGregor #Francis Ngannou #Alistair Overeem #UFC 217 #Lomachenko vs Rigondeaux #GSP #Stipe Miocic #Max Holloway

UFC president Dana White announced in February that former welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre would return to the Octagon. In March, a press conference was held to reveal that St-Pierre would face middleweight champion Michael Bisping in his first fight back since November 2013. The fight promotion was targeting a July date, but St-Pierre stated that he wouldn’t be fight ready until November.

It was unclear why St-Pierre needed so much time to prepare for his Octagon return until Friday. At the C2 Montréal conference, St-Pierre revealed that an eye injury kept him sidelined.Georges St-Pierre

“Trust me, I’m not the kind of guy who thinks, ‘Hey, I’m going to make everybody wait for me. I don’t want to fight during the summer, I want to take my time,” he said. “That’s not the reason. If it were up to me, I would come back. The reason is I had a problem with my eye. I had an injury.”

On the advice of doctors, St-Pierre can not spar until September. “My vision has not been back yet. It will be back. It’s something very minor. The doctor insisted for me that I don’t spar until September,” he said.

St-Pierre said that the UFC was aware of the injury prior to the March press conference, but remained hopeful that he’d be able to return earlier than this winter.

“The UFC was aware of it,” St-Pierre said. “They knew I couldn’t fight during the summer, but they still insisted on doing that press conference with Michael Bisping. And when it happened, we were not very excited about the idea, but we wanted that fight, so we decided to do it, but then it turned into a negative thing because it took so long.

“But UFC knew. Everyone knew. The people concerned knew that that was the case, but they still tried to put pressure on me to fight in July. That’s the reason why I’m coming out public today about the reason why I’m not fighting this summer.”

Bipsing is still recovering from a knee injury and an interim title fight between top middleweight contender Yoel Romero and Robert Whittaker has been booked for UFC 213 on July 8.  White scrapped the St-Pierre and Bisping pairing with plans of a title unification bout between the UFC 213 winner and Bisping to take place when “The Count” is fully recovered.

Galleries

Georges St Pierre GSP Fights

• 2 months ago

Michael Bisping Fights

• a year ago

Comments

What's Next for Georges St-Pierre? Dana White Weighs In | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White on Tuesday addressed what's next for new middleweight champion Georges St-Pierre. read news >>

Dana White Has No Regrets Allowing Michael Bisping a Quick Return After GSP Loss | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White explains how Michael Bisping could be allowed to fight just three weeks removed from a third-round loss to Georges St-Pierre. read news >>

Dana White: Demetrious Johnson vs. TJ Dillashaw Not Announced, but Will Happen | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White on Saturday night said the proposed superfight between Demetrious Johnson and TJ Dillashaw is going to happen. read news >>

Dana White Recaps the UFC 218: Holloway vs. Aldo 2 Event | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White recaps the UFC 218: Holloway vs. Aldo 2 night of fights from backstage at Little Caesars Arena in Detroit after the event. read news >>

Dana White, UFC Fighters Rush to Support Keaton Jones, Whose Bullying Video Went Viral | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White and several UFC fighters immediately lent their support to Keaton Jones, a young boy whose bullying video went viral. read news >>

Dana White: 'No Way' Brian Ortega Jumps Over Frankie Edgar as No. 1 Contender | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White was very impressed by Brian Ortega's performance on Saturday night where he tapped out top five-ranked contender Cub Swanson with a second round guillotine choke. The win kep read news >>

Dana White Addresses Rumor That Conor McGregor Hit a Mobster | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White held a media scrum on Tuesday, where he addressed rumors that Conor McGregor punched a mobster in a bar brawl. read news >>

Dana White Addresses Tae Hyun Bang Fight-Fixing Scandal | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White commented on the fight fixing scheme that landed Tae Hyun Bang a 10-month prison sentence. read news >>

Dana White Doesn't Believe Nick Diaz Will Ever Fight Again... but What About Nate? | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White doesn't believe that Nick Diaz will ever step foot in the Octagon again. read news >>

Dana White Explains Why Deal with Netflix Fell Through | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White had a hit on his hands last year with his new reality series "Lookin' For a Fight" where he traveled around the world searching for the next crop of fighters to compete insid read news >>