Vanessa Mariscal FacebookWhile she only has two professional MMA bouts, Vanessa Mariscal is not a newcomer to the world of martial arts.

Having studied striking and jiu-jitsu for over 10 years, Mariscal says to those who may underestimate her, “I don’t think my record reflects my capabilities at all. I’m beyond what my record shows.”

Last year Mariscal got some exposure as a trainer on an episode of MTV’s I Used to Be Fat. While the show didn’t make a big impact on her fight career, her lone bout against Colleen Schneider went a long way towards boosting her confidence in the fight game.

“It was a challenging fight and I learned a lot about myself,” said Mariscal. “I was able to put all my skills together and put all the right things together at the right time. My coach told me I did everything correct and I didn’t make one mistake, so that felt great.”

After struggling to secure a fight this year, Mariscal got the call to replace an injured Shana Nelson against Sara D’Alelio at the April 28 debut Invicta FC show in Kansas City, Kan.

When asked about the match-up, Mariscal replied, “I know everybody wants to hear, ‘I’m going to knock her out. I’m going to take her down. I’m going to do this; I’m going to do that.’ I’m going to fight a good fight; that’s what I plan on doing. I know she’s a tough girl and she doesn’t give up, so hopefully I can make her give up and do what I do best, which is fight.

“If you’re worried too much about what you’re opponent’s going to do, you’re not thinking about what you’re going to do.”

While press releases have touted Mariscal as a student of UFC legend Royce Gracie, it’s actually fighters from the more recent history of the promotion that have shaped the way she fights.

“I haven’t trained with Royce in years,” Mariscal told MMAWeekly.com “That was probably eight years ago. I’ve mostly trained with Vladimir Matyushenko, Jared Hamman and Anthony Hardonk (at the VMAT Gym) for the last five years. So that (assumption I’m just a submission fighter) is kind of incorrect.”

Because she is in such tremendous shape, the 38-year-old Mariscal feels that if Invicta can become a longstanding promotion, she has just as much opportunity to do something special as fighters 10 years younger.

“I told my coaches if things work out well in Invicta, I’m going to continue to do it,” she said. “I always try to take one day at a time, because if you look too far into the future, you can be disappointed, so I just try to make every day the best day.

“If they offer me something great and it looks like it will be positive for me and my career, I’ll take it. At the end of the day what do I want to do? I want that (135-pound) title belt.”

Invicta FC 1 streams live for free on Saturday, April 28
at InvictaFC.com

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Dan Hardy believes UFC return could be near: 'Confident I have paperwork' that clears me

LONDON — If Dan Hardy has his way, he’ll be fighting inside the octagon before the end of 2018, explaining to MMAjunkie that a team of the United Kingdom’s best cardiologists have now cleared him to read news >>

Georges St-Pierre's Boxing Coach Believes Conor McGregor vs. Floyd Mayweather is Possible | MMAWeekly.com

Georges St-Pierre's boxing coach, Freddie Roach, believes that everything is pointing to a boxing match between Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather. read news >>

Marcus Edwards Believes LFA 5 Victory Puts Him at the UFC's Door | MMAWeekly.com

Marcus Edwards has a tough fight ahead of him at Friday's LFA 5 in Colorado, but believes a win puts him at the UFC's doorstep. read news >>

Germaine de Randamie: 'I Dominated' Holly Holm | MMAWeekly.com

While there may be a lot of chatter after the fact, Germaine de Randamie believes she dominated Holly Holm to become the UFC featherweight champion. read news >>

Adam Townsend Believes Road to the UFC Runs Through LFA 5 | MMAWeekly.com

For his first fight of 2017, Adam Townsend makes his Legacy Fighting Alliance debut against Marcus Edwards in a 155-pound main event on Friday. read news >>

Bellator 174's Brandon Girtz looks to rebound from 2 torn ACLs, mental setbacks

Brandon Girtz believes the hard times are finally over heading into his Bellator 174 fight with Fernando Gonzalez.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Cris Cyborg: Holly Holm Doesn’t Deserve de Randamie Rematch | MMAWeekly.com

Invicta FC featherweight champion Cris "Cyborg" Justino doesn't believe Holly Holm deserves a rematch against UFC champion Germaine de Randamie. read news >>

LFA 5/AXS TV Fights video: Adam Townsend believes win over Edwards has him UFC-ready

LFA returns to action tonight in Colorado, but the last thing headliner Adam Townsend is worried about is fighting at elevation. Filed under: AXS TV Fights, Featured Videos, News, Videos read news >>

Ronda Rousey's Future with UFC Commented on by Dana White on 'UFC Unfiltered'

Following consecutive decisive losses, UFC President Dana White believes Ronda Rousey may never again step foot inside the Octagon. On the latest episode of UFC.com's UFC Unfiltered (h/t Dann Stupp o read news >>

Invicta FC bantamweight Aspen Ladd eyes UFC deal: 'If they call, I'm going'

After adding a fifth win to an undefeated pro run spent entirely in the Invicta FC cage, 21-year-old bantamweight Aspen Ladd says she is ready for the octagon.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, Radi read news >>