#Conor McGregor #UFC Fight Night 83 #Jon Jones #Nate Diaz #Luke Rockhold #David Branch #Michael Bisping #Round 4 #UFC 215 #Miesha Tate

Vanessa Mariscal FacebookWhile she only has two professional MMA bouts, Vanessa Mariscal is not a newcomer to the world of martial arts.

Having studied striking and jiu-jitsu for over 10 years, Mariscal says to those who may underestimate her, “I don’t think my record reflects my capabilities at all. I’m beyond what my record shows.”

Last year Mariscal got some exposure as a trainer on an episode of MTV’s I Used to Be Fat. While the show didn’t make a big impact on her fight career, her lone bout against Colleen Schneider went a long way towards boosting her confidence in the fight game.

“It was a challenging fight and I learned a lot about myself,” said Mariscal. “I was able to put all my skills together and put all the right things together at the right time. My coach told me I did everything correct and I didn’t make one mistake, so that felt great.”

After struggling to secure a fight this year, Mariscal got the call to replace an injured Shana Nelson against Sara D’Alelio at the April 28 debut Invicta FC show in Kansas City, Kan.

When asked about the match-up, Mariscal replied, “I know everybody wants to hear, ‘I’m going to knock her out. I’m going to take her down. I’m going to do this; I’m going to do that.’ I’m going to fight a good fight; that’s what I plan on doing. I know she’s a tough girl and she doesn’t give up, so hopefully I can make her give up and do what I do best, which is fight.

“If you’re worried too much about what you’re opponent’s going to do, you’re not thinking about what you’re going to do.”

While press releases have touted Mariscal as a student of UFC legend Royce Gracie, it’s actually fighters from the more recent history of the promotion that have shaped the way she fights.

“I haven’t trained with Royce in years,” Mariscal told MMAWeekly.com “That was probably eight years ago. I’ve mostly trained with Vladimir Matyushenko, Jared Hamman and Anthony Hardonk (at the VMAT Gym) for the last five years. So that (assumption I’m just a submission fighter) is kind of incorrect.”

Because she is in such tremendous shape, the 38-year-old Mariscal feels that if Invicta can become a longstanding promotion, she has just as much opportunity to do something special as fighters 10 years younger.

“I told my coaches if things work out well in Invicta, I’m going to continue to do it,” she said. “I always try to take one day at a time, because if you look too far into the future, you can be disappointed, so I just try to make every day the best day.

“If they offer me something great and it looks like it will be positive for me and my career, I’ll take it. At the end of the day what do I want to do? I want that (135-pound) title belt.”

Invicta FC 1 streams live for free on Saturday, April 28
at InvictaFC.com

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Comments

Ray Borg says he's going to end Demetrious Johnson's career in UFC 215 title fight

Ray Borg believes he’s not only going to upset UFC flyweight champ Demetrious Johnson, but also retire him at UFC 215.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Evander Holyfield Believes the Mayweather vs. McGregor Fight Was Stopped Early | MMAWeekly.com

Following Floyd "Money" Mayweather's 10th-round stoppage of UFC champion Conor McGregor on Saturday, a lot of people thought the fight was stopped prematurely. read news >>

Conor McGregor Believes One Uppercut Was a Split Second Away from Knocking Out Floyd Mayweather | MMAWeekly.com

On Saturday night, Conor McGregor managed to land more punches in less than 10 rounds than Manny Pacquiao did over 12 rounds in their respective fights with Floyd Mayweather. McGregor was a much heav read news >>

Top 25 finishes in Invicta FC history (Nos. 15-11): Body kicks galore

With Invicta FC’s 25th event around the corner, the all-female promotion has rolled out a countdown of the 25 best finishes in its history.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Kyle Noblitt Confident That He Can Win LFA 21 Main Event Anywhere The Fight Goes | MMAWeekly.com

Kyle Noblitt (8-0) will seek to pick up his fifth victory of 2017 when he takes on Antonio Paulo Branjao (4-0) in the 205-pound main event of LFA 21 on Friday. read news >>

Watch 'Invicta FC 25: Road to Pa'aluhi vs. Kunitskaya' ahead of Thursday title fight

Go behind the scenes of the vacant bantamweight title fight between Raquel Pa’aluhi and Yana Kunitskaya in “Road to Invicta FC 25.”Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, Videos read news >>

Invicta FC 25 Weigh-in Video Live, Wednesday at 8p ET | MMAWeekly.com

Watch the Invicta FC 25 weigh-in streaming live on Wednesday at 8 pm ET / 5 pm PT on MMAWeekly.com. read news >>

Invicta FC 25 weigh-in results

Invicta FC will crown a new champion tomorrow night.Filed under: News read news >>

Conor McGregor Says Floyd Mayweather Has 'Strong Tools' He Could Take into MMA

UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor believes Floyd Mayweather Jr. has some "strong tools" that'd enable him to be a success in MMA. McGregor had his first professional boxing fight on Saturday ag read news >>

Conor McGregor says with better prep for 12 rounds, he could have beat Floyd Mayweather

Conor McGregor believes cardio got the best of him against Floyd Mayweather, and with one change in prep, he could’ve come out on top.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>