#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #GSP #Tony Ferguson #Fight Night Rotterdam #Nate Diaz #Darren Till #Kevin Lee #Dominick Cruz #Cody Garbrandt #UFC Fight Night 118 #Donald Cerrone #Michael Bisping #UFC 207

Evan Cutts FacebookTexas welterweight prospect Evan Cutts is riding high.

Undefeated in five fights so far, Cutts feels his game truly took a step forward last November with a win over the sibling of one of MMA’s all-time greats.

“In my third fight, I beat BJ (Penn’s) little brother Reagan, and just took it to him, and that’s what boosted me,” said Cutts. “I feel like I’m putting all my tools together and am becoming a complete fighter.

“My jiu-jitsu has always been improving and it’s the best part of my game, but I really feel like my striking and my wrestling has not only improved, but I’m blending it a lot more effectively than I ever have.”

Cutts will have an opportunity to showcase his growth on a national stage on Friday night live on AXS TV in a co-main event bout against fellow area up-and-comer Sean Spencer at Legacy FC 13 in Dallas.

“I know he has pretty decent boxing and a mean right hand,” said Cutts of Spencer. “He hits a lot of people moving backwards because of that and I think he’s best moving forward. I’m going to look to change that.

“I see some holes, especially when he gets taken down, or even when he gets a takedown, I see some holes. I don’t want to expound on it too much now, but I will say this, look for the way I work in my scrambles. I love when I get into scrambles because I feel like I’m a bit quicker on the trigger than a lot of people are.”

Having trained at some of the same facilities and come up in the sport at the same time, Cutts was asked if he feels his familiarity with Spencer will play any part in the outcome of the fight.

“I probably have just as much of insight on him as he does on me,” Cutts told MMAWeekly.com. “We’ll see if that nullifies itself.

“You can plan really, really well for a fight, but then the fight can go totally different. Game planning does matter, but when fights are live, things move so fast sometimes that it’s hard to implement what you want to do; so you’ve got to be ready in all your areas.”

The brother-in-law of Ultimate Fighter: Team Bisping vs. Team Miller alum Johnny Bedford, Cutts knows how important television exposure can be for a fighter’s career. Though don’t expect him to take the same route his relative has to get his break.

“I don’t know if I could keep my sanity (in the TUF house) to be totally honest,” joked Cutts. “I love people, I love working with people, but I also enjoy my quiet time, my sleep time; so I don’t know if I could survive all that.

“Opportunities are always there, especially on national TV (like AXS), if you can finish somebody with a fantastic submission or a pretty big knockout. There are always people watching. I want to be known as one of the top, if not the top, (170-pound) fighters out of DFW (Dallas/Fort Worth), because that’s how you get to the bigger scene.”

(Photo courtesy of Evan Cutts)

Comments

Conor McGregor Could Address US Congress over MMA Fighters' Rights

After making his boxing debut, UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor may appear before the United States Congress in an effort to expand the protection of rights afforded to mixed martial arts figh read news >>

Rankings: Rockhold, Hall, Usman & Perry Rise

In this week's official UFC rankings release, Luke Rockhold and Uriah Hall are making moves in the middleweight division. Plus, Kamaru Usman and Mike Perry are on the rise at welterweight. read news >>

Frustrated Benson Henderson after Bellator 183 loss: 'I need to stop having close fights'

Benson Henderson is tired of leaving fights in the hands of the judges. He wants to change that after losing in Bellator 183 main event.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Joanna Jedrzejczyk planning to break Ronda Rousey’s record...

The strawweight queen is one win away from tying the record for successful defences from a female champion and plans to break that next year. read news >>

Michael Bisping to GSP: 'I'm Gonna Really Enjoy Making You Quit' | MMAWeekly.com

Michael Bisping has talked often about making the biggest payday of his career when he faces Georges St-Pierre at UFC 217 but the money he makes won't count for much if he doesn't walk out with the m read news >>

UFC Plans to Donation to Aid Victims of Las Vegas Shooting | MMAWeekly.com

The Ultimate Fighting Championship is planning to make a sizable donation to aid the victims of Sunday's tragic shooting in Las Vegas. read news >>

Demtrious Johnson Roasts Kevin Lee on Making Weight: 'I Had Oreos!' | MMAWeekly.com

(Courtesy of Karyn Bryant) UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson and interim lightweight title contender Kevin Lee were in Los Angeles on Monday for a media luncheon to promote their respective f read news >>

Everyone is making fun of Daniel Cormier's struggle with an audio cord

As if Daniel Cormier doesn’t have a hard enough job as the UFC light heavyweight champion. The broadcast booth also presented some challenges. Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Kurt Holobaugh Will Appeal Nine Month Suspension, Manager Explains What Unfolded | MMAWeekly.com

Kurt Holobaugh and his management team are planning an appeal to the nine month suspension he was handed after willfully admitting to using an IV after the weigh-ins for his bout on the Dana White Tu read news >>

Cub Swanson: Brian Ortega 'ain't making a name off of me' at UFC Fight Night 123

Cub Swanson, on the last fight of his UFC contract, vows not to be a stepping stone for red-hot Brian Ortega at UFC Fight Night 123.Filed under: Featured, News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>