#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Tony Ferguson #Nick Diaz #GSP #Quinton Jackson #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Michael Bisping #Pancrase #Rizin Fighting World Grand Prix 2017 #Demetrious Johnson

The woman responsible for the only blemish on the record of Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos is setting her sights on a Strikeforce title -- but not the one previously held by her old opponent.

Erica Paes hasn’t fought since 2005 -- the same year she submitted Santos in what was both women’s pro debuts -- instead taking time off from combat sports to focus on her career as a singer. Last year, however, the Rio de Janeiro resident and sister of late Brazilian Top Team coach Eraldo Paes returned to training with designs on joining the stateside promotion’s burgeoning 135-pound division. Paes is currently training at Rio’s X-Gym alongside some of the sport’s biggest names, like Anderson Silva and Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza.

Sherdog.com recently caught up with Paes to find out more about her planned comeback.

Sherdog.com: When did you return to training MMA?
Paes: It’s been a year that I’ve been back in Rio de Janeiro, training at X-Gym. I was coming off an injury, but I’ve been cleared to train by my doctor and physiotherapist. Now, I’m counting the days until my next fight, and I think I’ll come back to climb into the Octagon next month.

Sherdog.com: How is it training with Anderson Silva, who’s generally considered the best fighter in the world?
Paes: Anderson is a darling, a guy who we all try to emulate, and he always gives me the greatest attention. Not just him, but Rafael Feijao, Ronaldo Jacare, Erick Silva. The guys give me special attention here and I’m proud to be part of the X-Gym family, in which I’m the only woman.

Sherdog.com: Do you want to face anyone in particular? Perhaps a second fight against Cris Cyborg?
Paes: I don’t have any opponent in particular who I want to face. Everyone always talks about Cris; people think there’s a rivalry, but it doesn’t exist. It was a fight that happened and I won. After that, I only had one more fight, and then I stopped to dedicated myself to music.

Sherdog.com: What is your main goal in returning to MMA?
Paes: I’m returning to MMA seeking the belt of the world’s biggest event for women, which is Strikeforce. But my coaches -- Josuel Distak, Rogerio Camoes and Sylvio Behring -- first want me to get back into the rhythm of fighting. I need to have one or two fights here in Brazil to prepare myself and then go abroad.

Sherdog.com: So, ideally, you’ll be the champion at 135 pounds and Cyborg at 145, right?
Paes: In Strikeforce, there’s only Cris, an excellent athlete and an exemplary professional. I hope she overcomes this difficult stage. We are both Brazilian, but if we need to fight again, I’ll accept it. Whoever is there can come. I’m training to face anyone.

Leonardo Fabri contributed to this report.

Galleries

Anderson Silva Fights

• 8 months ago

Cris Cyborg Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Demetrious Johnson Glad Anderson Silva's Name is No Longer by His for UFC Record | MMAWeekly.com

(Subscribe to MMAWeekly.com on YouTube) UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson etched his name in the history books on Saturday night in Las Vegas. In the UFC 216 co-main event, he submitted Ray B read news >>

Dana White Confident Cris Cyborg vs. Holly Holm Will Happen | MMAWeekly.com

Cris "Cyborg" Justino didn't seem very happy with the latest offer for her to face Holly Holm later this year but UFC president Dana White is confident they'll get a deal done. The latest comes direc read news >>

UFC Fighter Demetrious Johnson Sets Record for Consecutive Title Defenses

Fact: Demetrious Johnson sets record for consecutive title defenses with 11. Bleacher Report will be bringing sports fans the most interesting and engaging Cold Hard Facts of the day, presented by Co read news >>

Bellator 184 post-event facts: Pat Curran flirts with Bellator's all-time wins record

Check out all the facts, figures and footnotes from Bellator 184, which took place this past Friday in Thackerville, Okla.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Tony Ferguson Tops UFC 216 Payroll Over Demetrious Johnson's Record-Setting Win | MMAWeekly.com

There was nothing ordinary about UFC 216: Ferguson vs. Lee, not even the fighter payroll. read news >>

UFC champ Cris Cyborg waiting for right deal to fight Holly Holm at UFC 219

Cris Cyborg could defend her title against Holly Holm at UFC 219. But her manager said a new deal needs to be struck before Cyborg can commit.Filed under: Featured, UFC read news >>

Georges St-Pierre was Offered Anderson Silva Before Michael Bisping | MMAWeekly.com

Though he is slated to challenge Michael Bisping at UFC 217, Georges St-Pierre had a possible bout with Anderson Silva in the offing. read news >>

After battling 'trickier' Anderson Silva, Derek Brunson unfazed by Lyoto Machida's striking

Derek Brunson is not expecting Lyoto Machida’s skill set to be diminished following an 18-month USADA suspension. But, unsure of what really caused him to be caught, Brunson believes Machida might be read news >>

After UFC champ Cris Cyborg points to drug testing, Holly Holm points to scoreboard

• 9 hours ago

When it comes to UFC women’s featherweight champion Cris Cyborg, potential next opponent Holly Holm just wants to get real for a moment.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Holly Holm Fires Back at Cris Cyborg Over Badgering about USADA Drug Testing | MMAWeekly.com

• 4 hours ago

The fight between UFC women's featherweight champion Cris "Cyborg" Justino and Holly Holm isn't official yet but they sure are behaving like two fighters preparing to do battle. This week, Cyborg has read news >>