#UFC Fight Night 124 #Jeremy Stephens #Doo Ho Choi #Paige VanZant #Kamaru Usman #Emil Meek #Michael Johnson #Darren Elkins #Khabib Nurmagomedov #UFC 219 #Conor McGregor #Francis Ngannou #Edson Barboza #Stipe Miocic #Jessica Eye

SYDNEY – It took him three tries, but Eric Shelton got his first UFC victory with a unanimous decision over Jenel Lausa at UFC Fight Night 121 in Sydney, Australia. And if you don’t think he went into that fight feeling like his roster spot was on the line, guess again.

“That was exactly what I was thinking,” Shelton told MMAjunkie. “I knew I had to get out there and be dominant, whether it was on the ground or on my feet. And I felt when I got it to the ground that I could finish it there, and if not, be dominant.”

After the year he had, Shelton (11-4 MMA, 1-2 UFC) had every reason to believe it would take a dominant effort to win over the judges. In both his UFC debut in January, as well as his second fight at UFC 214 in July, Shelton put forth a strong effort and came up short with two consecutive split-decision losses.

And since the UFC doesn’t typically retain fighters who lose three straight to start their octagon careers, the pressure was on in this fight. So when Shelton heard his name called after three hard rounds against Lausa (7-4 MMA, 1-2 UFC), the relief was overwhelming.

“You have no idea,” Shelton said. “It feels like Heaven has come down on me, like, ‘Here you go. Here’s your gift for working hard and staying the course.'”

But with one win in three tries throughout 2017, the flyweight isn’t looking for a long layoff before he attempts to capitalize on his newfound momentum.

“I’m back in there as soon as they got me,” Shelton said. “I know I’ve got to take two months rest or whatever, but I’ve got mouths to feed and I’ve got a family that supports me, so there’s no resting for me. I’m coming and I’m coming strong.”

For complete coverage of UFC Fight Night 121, check out the UFC Events section of the site.

Comments

Sage Northcutt Faces Thibault Gouti at UFC Fight Night 126 | MMAWeekly.com

21-year-old lightweight prospect Sage Northcutt and Thibault Gouti have signed bout agreements to meet at UFC Fight Night 126 on Feb. 18 in Austin, Texas. read news >>

Nasrat Haqparast meets Alex Reyes at UFC Fight Night 127 in London

The UFC’s March return to London continues to build with the addition of a lightweight fight.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Tonya Evinger Returns to Bantamweight at UFC Fight Night Austin | MMAWeekly.com

Former UFC featherweight title contender Tonya Evinger is one and done at 145 pounds, at least for now. read news >>

Tonya Evinger returns to bantamweight, meets Marion Reneau at UFC Fight Night 126

A bantamweight bout between Tonya Evinger and Marion Reneau is the latest addition to February’s UFC Fight Night 126 lineup.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

James Vick finally gets Austin booking, meets Francisco Trinaldo at UFC Fight Night 126

It won’t come against an opponent as highly ranked as he wanted, but James Vick will get his home-game opportunity.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Uriah Hall Respects Vitor Belfort's Accomplishments But Is 'Confidently Ready' | MMAWeekly.com

At UFC Fight Night 124 on Sunday, No. 11 ranked middleweight Uriah Hall will be the last opponent of "The Phenom" Vitor Belfort's legendary career. read news >>

10 reasons to watch UFC Fight Night 124, where 'Korean Superboy' gets fellow slugger Stephens

At UFC Fight Night 124, hard-hitting “Korean Superboy” Dooho Choi meets a fellow slugger in Jeremy Stephens; it’s one reason to watch. read news >>

Who ya got?! Fighters weigh in on Jeremy Stephens vs. Dooho Choi at UFC Fight Night 124

Who are fighters at UFC Fight Night 124 picking in the main event between Jeremy Stephens and Dooho Choi? read news >>

With move to flyweight, Paige VanZant confident she can avoid embarrassments in fights

Paige VanZant is looking at UFC Fight Night 124 as a fresh start, and it all begins with her change in weight class. read news >>

Jessica-Rose Clark down to take Paige VanZant's fame for herself at UFC Fight Night 124

Jessica-Rose Clark won’t deny that she’s the lesser-known commodity in her matchup with Paige VanZant at UFC Fight Night 124. read news >>