#UFC Fight Night 117 #Conor McGregor #Gokhan Saki #UFC Fight Night 83 #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Jon Jones #Nate Diaz #Luke Rockhold #Saint Preux

Emanuel Newton-BellatorWhile incremental increases in a fighter’s game is to be expected over time, for Bellator light-heavyweight tournament participant Emanuel Newton, his game has undergone a huge leap forward just in the past couple months.

“I think I really discovered who I am and what’s my style and what works for me and makes me hard to deal with when I’m inside the cage for sure over the past couple of years, but the past two months I really think my game has taken off, especially on the feet,” said Newton.

“Working at the Wild Card gym, my stand-up has completely changed, especially in the realm of my hands and my movement.”

Newton’s improved striking helped pay a part in his two recent tournament wins, and more so in his KO victory over Mo Lawal in February.

“Before the Mo fight I wasn’t with my trainers for very long, so that’s why you saw a night and day difference in my striking in my fight against Mo as opposed to my fight against Atanas (Djambazov),” said Newton. “Everything is coming together and I want to keep it going.”

After falling short in last year’s light-heavyweight tournament in a controversial split-decision loss to Attila Vegh in the semi-finals, Newton now has a chance to redeem himself this Thursday night in Tampa, Florida, against Mikhail Zayats for this season’s 205-pound tournament title.

“He’s a very tough fighter who is very awkward striking and has good on the ground, especially off his back, but I fill I’m better in all areas of the game,” said Newton of Zayats.

“Not to take anything away from him, he’s a very tough fighter and it’s going to be a very good fight, but with my wrestling and my newfound striking skills it’s going to be hard for him to deal with me.”

While Newton feels Bellator has always taken good care of him, he told MMAWeekly.com that he knows he wasn’t the tournament favorite, but because of the format, anyone can make their way to glory.

“I know that they were expecting Mo and Babalu (Sobral) to be the two top dogs, but the tournament gives everybody the opportunity to make their own destiny,” said Newton. “It’s not about who talks the most on Twitter or has the most Twitter followers, it’s about who truly deserves the opportunity to be in there.

“That’s one thing I really enjoy about Bellator, anybody can showcase their skills and earn their opportunity to get the belt.”

Comments

Bellator 182's Colleen Schneider will call out Ilima-Lei MacFarlane – with cameras rolling this time

After fighting her first Bellator bout without cameras, Colleen Schneider plans to make a splash at Bellator 182.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator 182's Bruna Ellen eyeing finish over Veta Arteaga now, flyweight belt later

Looking to add a second Bellator win to her 1-1 promotional record, Brazilian flyweight Bruna Ellen is not lacking in confidence.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

In his own lane, Chidi Njokuani doesn't care about anyone else ahead of Bellator 182

Chidi Njokuani has been cruising along, but in classic fighter style, he says it doesn’t matter who it’s been against, or where. Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

From mom's death to bad knee: Talita Nogueira's rough road to long-awaited Bellator debut

A lot went into finally making it here, but undefeated featherweight Talita Nogueira is happy and healthy ahead her Bellator debut.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Kate Jackson Going to Rely On Technique in Bellator MMA Debut | MMAWeekly.com

On August 25 in Verona, New York, Kate Jackson (8-2-1) makes her Bellator debut against veteran Colleen Schneider (11-7) in a main card 125-pound bout. read news >>

Bellator 182's Brennan Ward wants you excited more than he wants you to see his hand raised

Brennan Ward says it’s more important for you to not be bored by his performance than for him to win – especially right now in Bellator.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Bellator 182's Joey Davis' modest goals for MMA career? 'I want to be the next big thing'

Four-time NCAA Division II national champion and unbeaten wrestler Joey Davis already is daring to dream big ahead of Bellator 182.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Bellator 182 live video stream and official results (6:30 p.m. ET)

Bellator 182 takes place tonight, and you can join us for a live video stream and official results beginning at 6:30 pm ET.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News, Videos read news >>

Bellator 182: Koreshkov vs. Njokuani Live Results and Fight Stats | MMAWeekly.com

Follow along for Bellator 182: Koreshkov vs. Njokuani full live results and fight stats. read news >>

Boxer, Bellator MMA's Heather Hardy: Floyd Mayweather will be aggressive vs. Conor McGregor

Bellator’s Heather Hardy, who competed in both boxing and MMA, is taking Floyd Mayweather at his word about being aggressive.Filed under: Bellator, News, UFC, Videos read news >>