Elvis Mutapcic - MFCFor MFC middleweight contender Elvis Mutapcic, his promotional debut in August against Jacen Flynn couldn’t have gone much better.

“I went out there and fought at my pace and I thought I performed pretty well,” said Mutapcic of his 99-second TKO victory. “I thought the fight was going to go longer, but it ended pretty quick, so I’m happy about that.

“I was prepared for the best Jacen ever and assumed he was a well-rounded fighter, which he was, but landed a good knee on his chin and ended the fight.”

Getting a chance to gain exposure in the MFC was a big step forward, according to Mutapcic.

“It definitely felt good to fight in front of a larger crowd, more people, and get more exposure and show case my skills and showcase what I’ve got,” he said.

Mutapcic’s reward for his performance is an opportunity to win the promotion’s 185-pound championship at MFC 35 Friday night live on AXS TV. He faces former Ultimate Fighter participant Joseph Henle for the vacant title.

“Henle’s a tough guy. He’s well-rounded, but I think I’m better in every area,” said Mutapcic. “I think that the first mistake he makes, I’m going to capitalize on it and get the W.

“I think both of us are going to turn it up off the bat. I think both of us are seasoned enough and well-rounded enough that nobody’s going to make a mistake without putting pressure on the other guy. I think both of us are going to come forward and neither of us is going to back down. It should be a good show for the crowd.”

Mutapcic told MMAWeekly.com that he sees Friday night as a chance to take a big step forward in his career.

“This is exactly what I need. I want to fight the best in the world, and Henle’s one of those guys I’ve got to get over just to keep moving up,” he said.

Should Mutapcic make it past Henle, he sees no reason why it won’t set up for what could very well be a breakout year for him in 2013.

“I want to take it one fight at a time, but I think next year will be a bigger year than 2012,” he said. “I had to take some time off due to injury and then took some time off before this last fight, so I think next year will be a bigger year than this one.

“I’m currently a full-time fighter, but I also have a full-time job, and I just want to be able to support my family and do what I love instead of working a job. That’s the main goal right now.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all your MMA news and updates.

UFC on FOX 23's Aljamain Sterling: People will be very surprised by my process since first loss

DENVER – Aljamain Sterling believes fans are going to see a different fighter than the one that suffered his first career loss eight months ago when he returns to the octagon on Saturday at UFC on FO read news >>

UFC on FOX 23's Jason Knight plans Caceres KO, new contract and callout of 'The Korean Superboy'

LAKEWOOD, Colo. – Don’t accuse Jason Knight for being one of those UFC fighters who doesn’t think ahead each time he enters and exits the octagon.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC on FOX 23's Aljamain Sterling: People will be very surprised by my progress since first loss

LAKEWOOD, Colo. – Aljamain Sterling believes fans are going to see a different fighter than the one that suffered his first career loss eight months ago when he returns to the octagon on Saturday at read news >>

Jarod Trice Plans to Test Kevin Woltkamp's Chin at Bellator 171 | MMAWeekly.com

After fighting his debut at 205 pounds, Jarod Trice (1-0) steps up to heavyweight in a preliminary card bout at Bellator 171 against Kevin Woltkamp (1-2). read news >>

CM Punk Plans to Fight Again Whether It's in the UFC or Elsewhere | MMAWeekly.com

Despite losing in his UFC debut, CM Punk is determined to fight again whether it's in the UFC or not. read news >>

Ronda Rousey's Future with UFC Commented on by Dana White on 'UFC Unfiltered'

Following consecutive decisive losses, UFC President Dana White believes Ronda Rousey may never again step foot inside the Octagon. On the latest episode of UFC.com's UFC Unfiltered (h/t Dann Stupp o read news >>

UFC Fight Night 104's Jessica Andrade believes title shot looms with win over Angela Hill

Jessica Andrade believes she’s close to a strawweight title shot, and that a win on Saturday might put her over the top. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Yair Rodriguez believes Penn win has him creeping closer to UFC featherweight title shot

HOUSTON – After his brutal beatdown of UFC Hall of Famer B.J. Penn a few weeks ago, Yair Rodriguez can admit just taking the fight put him in a no-win situation. Filed under: Featured Videos, News, U read news >>

Demian Maia Issues Statement on Waiting for UFC Title Shot | MMAWeekly.com

Demian Maia believes he is next in line for a UFC welterweight title shot and is willing to wait for it. read news >>

Jacare Souza Believes Luke Rockhold is Avoiding Him, Remains Focused on the Belt (UFC 208 Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Jacare Souza believes Luke Rockhold is avoiding him and knows he has a tough fight with Tim Boetsch ahead, but he remains focused on a UFC title shot. read news >>