#UFC 218 #Conor McGregor #Francis Ngannou #UFC 217 #Alistair Overeem #Lomachenko vs Rigondeaux #GSP #Max Holloway #Eddie Alvarez

SYDNEY – Elias Theodorou was no stranger to Daniel Kelly before they threw down at UFC Fight Night 121 on Saturday.

But after his unanimous decision win, Theodorou (14-2 MMA, 6-2 UFC) went into some detail about an altercation he had with Kelly (13-3 MMA, 6-3 UFC) a couple days before their middleweight fight at Qudos Bank Arena in Sydney. Their fight aired on the main card on FS1 following early prelims on UFC Fight Pass.

“In some of the media, he was calling me two-faced,” Theodorou said after the fight. “After (media day), we said, ‘Is it OK if we take the elevator with you?’ After the door shut, he says, ‘You know what, mother(expletive)?’ and starts cussing at me.

“He goes, ‘You’re gonna act all two-faced and say you’re gonna be my friend? None of this stuff.’ And he goes, ‘It doesn’t matter. We’re gonna fight and I’m never gonna see you again.'”

Theodorou and Kelly were in the house together on the UFC’s “Nations” season of “The Ultimate Fighter,” which pitted fighters from Canada (Theororou) against fighters from Australia (Kelly).

But with his win in the books, it sounds like Theodorou isn’t harboring any hard feelings with the 40-year-old Kelly, who was a four-time Olympian in judo for Australia.

“Now I get to haunt him in his dreams,” Theodorou said. “But the important thing is, I have no animosity toward him. It’s a true honor stepping in the cage with him. … I didn’t shake his hand in the beginning (of the fight), but I did in the third round because it was a true honor.”

Theodorou won that aforementioned “TUF: Nations” season with a TKO of Sheldon Westcott in April 2014, then won two more fights for a perfect 11-0 start to his career and 3-0 in the UFC. After a loss to Thiago Santos, he got back on the right track with wins over Sam Alvey and Cezar Ferreira.

But in July, he dropped a decision to Brad Tavares. So the win over Kelly was huge to keep Theodorou from the first skid of his career, but also to get him back toward putting together another streak if he wants to be a middleweight contender.

“I’ve still got to go back to the drawing board,” he said. “For now, I’m happy I won against a really tough guy and I’m back on a win streak. Obviously, there’s things I could’ve done better.

“… He’s resilient. He’s a true warrior – especially someone in his fourth decade. He’s been doing judo longer than I’ve been on this earth. As someone that’s only been doing martial arts for eight years in any capacity – and six of those years I’ve been professional – I’m always growing and I’m learning. And I have to do that from this fight.”

For more from Theodoroou, check out the video above.

And for complete coverage of UFC Fight Night 121, check out the UFC Events section of the site.

Comments

UFC Fight Night 121 results: Elias Theodorou outworks Daniel Kelly for unanimous decision

No matter how much Elias Theodorou kicked Daniel Kelly, Kelly wouldn’t go away – and even put Theodorou in trouble a time or two. But ultimately, Theodorou (14-2 MMA, 6-2 UFC) just had too much outpu read news >>

Elias Theodorou Decisions Dan Kelly (UFC Syndey Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

(Video courtesy of UFC on FOX | Viewing may be limited by broadcast rights restrictions) Check out the highlights from the middleweight bout between Elias Theodorou and Dan Kelly from UFC Fight Night read news >>

Roxanne Modafferi after UFC title loss: 'I've got to keep smiling – it's my job'

Coming up short at The Ultimate Fighter 26 Finale was a tough blow for Roxanne Modafferi, but “The Happy Warrior” will keep smiling.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Alistair Overeem: 'No damage and all healthy' after UFC 218 knockout loss

Alistair Overeem posted a reassuring message on social media following a scary first-round knockout loss to Francis Ngannou at UFC 218.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Alex Garcia after UFC-Shanghai victory: Who's getting the attention now?

Alex Garcia was aware of the hype around UFC Fight Night 122 opponent Muslim Salikhov. He shut all that down with a win.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Zabit Magomedsharipov wants 'special striker' Yair Rodriguez after UFC Fight Night 122 win

Highly touted featherweight prospect Zabit Magomedsharipov knows exactly who he wants to fight next after UFC Fight Night 122.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Amanda Cooper after UFC 218 win: 'I don't think the sport needs' Angela Magana

Amanda Cooper bludgeoned Angela Magana inside the octagon at UFC 218, then picked up where she left off during her post-fight interview. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Conor McGregor, Max Holloway Talk Trash on Twitter After UFC 218

UFC champions Conor McGregor and Max Holloway have taken shots at each other on Twitter on Sunday after UFC 218. McGregor kicked the exchange off, and Holloway responded in kind: This article will be read news >>

After UFC 218 win, Tecia Torres wants rubber match with new champ Rose Namajunas

Tecia Torres earned her third straight UFC win on Saturday night in Detroit, and now she wants a third fight with new UFC women’s strawweight champion Rose Namajunas. As Torres pointed out, the two a read news >>

Stipe Miocic Sends a Not So Subtle Message to Francis Ngannou After UFC 218 | MMAWeekly.com

Francis Ngannou is a ferocious knockout puncher but he's still not the heavyweight champion of the world. That's the message Stipe Miocic had for the hard-hitting fighter who earned a title shot on S read news >>