As UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor continues to plot his next move – be it a return to MMA or a boxing match with Paulie Malignaggi – things at the top of the division continue to fall into place.
Tony Ferguson won the interim title earlier this month after submitting Kevin Lee at UFC 216. Eddie Alvarez and Justin Gaethje, ranked Nos. 4 and 5, respectively, in the official UFC rankings, are set to square off Dec. 2 at UFC 218.
And now it appears another booking of top contenders could be close.
On Tuesday, Edson Barboza said during an Instagram Live stream that he’s accepted an offer from the UFC to fight Khabib Nurmagomedov on Dec. 30 at UFC 219 in Las Vegas. The onus, Barboza says, is now on “The Eagle.”
“They offered me this fight, and I accepted it,” Barboza said, via MMAFighting.com. “I said I’ll be ready for December 30th, and it’s on him now. We’ll see what he does. I saw an interview with him yesterday, and he said he’ll fight me if Conor fights Ferguson, and (UFC President) Dana (White) already said that fight will happen, so I believe my next fight will be against Khabib.”
Barboza (19-4 MMA, 13-4 UFC), now recovered from shoulder surgery, told MMAjunkie earlier this month that a fight with Nurmagomedov (24-0 MMA, 8-0 UFC) makes sense, all things considered. Barboza has won three straight, most recently scoring a flying-knee knockout of Beneil Dariush in March at UFC Fight Night 106. He’s been adamant in his belief that McGregor (21-3 MMA, 9-1 UFC) isn’t a real champion. McGregor, who lost an August boxing match to Floyd Mayweather via TKO, hasn’t defended his title since winning it from Alvarez last November at UFC 205.
Nurmagomedov said in September he expected to fight the Ferguson-Lee winner. Ferguson, naturally, prefers a title-unification bout with McGregor.
While Barboza said he’d also be content with a shot at Ferguson’s interim title, it appears he’s got his sights set on the undefeated Nurmagomedov and will be satisfied if the fight is made official.
“He’s definitely one of the best in the division,” Barboza told MMAjunkie. “I think this fight really makes sense for me. I’m ready. If the UFC books this fight, I’m ready.”view original article >>
UFC 219 fighter Michal Oleksiejczuk failed a USADA drug test and has been notified of a potential UFC anti-doping policy violation. read news >>
Khabib Nurmagomedov says that he will be fighting for the undisputed title at UFC 223 but if Conor McGregor wants a shot, he's going to have to get in line. read news >>
UFC heavyweight James Mulheron will be sitting out most of 2018. read news >>
UFC welterweight Jim Wallhead will have to sit out the first half of 2018, but it could’ve been worse. read news >>
UFC athlete Jim Wallhead accepted a nine-month sanction after testing positive for a prohibited substance from a contaminated supplement. read news >>
Khabib Nurmagomedov believes there is no confusion about the UFC lightweight title that he is fighting for when he meets Tony Ferguson in the UFC 223 headliner on April 7 in Brooklyn, N.Y. When UFC p read news >>
Khabib Nurmagomedov is rubbing elbows with one of sports’ biggest stars ahead of UFC 223. read news >>
Former UFC bantamweight Carls John de Tomas has accepted a one-year suspension from USADA and the California State Athletic Commission. read news >>
Khabib Nurmagomedov is one of the top contenders for Conor McGregor's UFC lightweight championship, but the 29-year-old is unsure whether he'll ever have the opportunity to challenge McGregor. "I don read news >>
James Vick is keeping a close eye on the UFC lightweight title picture, so he’s got thoughts on Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Tony Ferguson. read news >>