#UFC Fight Night 83 #Saturday Night Fights #GGG #Luke Rockhold #David Branch #Phoenix Fight Night #Vengeance Fighting Alliance #Duelo De Giagantes

Prior to Frankie Edgar‘s last fight against Benson Henderson, he brought in some new training partners to help him prepare for the title rematch.

One of those fighters that came in specifically to help Edgar prepare was Brazilian knockout artist Edson Barboza, who worked with the former champion on his Muay Thai and kickboxing ahead of his bout with Henderson.

Unfortunately for Edgar, he wasn’t able to wrestle the championship away from Henderson after a close, split decision loss, but he did manage to gain a friend and teammate in Barboza along the way.

As a matter of fact, Barboza enjoyed his time so much working alongside Edgar and his team, that he picked up and moved to New Jersey as he prepared for his own fight coming up at UFC on FX 7 in his home country of Brazil.

Not only has Barboza found a new training camp, he’s also found a great friend in Edgar who has become a big brother of sorts to the UFC lightweight.

“For me, it’s Frankie Edgar,” Barboza told MMAWeekly.com what the biggest difference is working with his new team. “He’s the champ, he’s been the champ for a long time, that’s a big difference. Now I know I have good training partners and good coaches. Frankie he won the last fight with Ben Henderson, he’s the best.”

Edgar has taken Barboza under his wing as he’s been getting ready for another title fight, this time against Jose Aldo, as he makes his move down to the featherweight division. Both fighters have helped each other tremendously because Barboza is a world class Muay Thai fighter, and there may not be a person better suited to get Edgar ready for a bout against Aldo.

On the flip side, Edgar and his team of coaches that includes boxing guru Mark Henry, former UFC fighter Ricardo Almeida, and legendary teacher Renzo Gracie, have helped Barboza develop into what he believes is truly the most complete fighter he’s ever been.

“I need to prove everything. I’ve been working for this fight, I’m working with really professional guys. I’ve trained in Florida, I’ve trained in Brazil before, but here in Jersey the coaches are a big difference. I’m learning everything. I think the big difference from my last fight is I’m learning everything, every day. I’m training in everything – jiu-jitsu, wrestling, boxing – I think I’ve improved everything,” said Barboza.

And of course at every step along the way, Edgar has been there to show his support and help Barboza as he gets ready for his next test inside the Octagon.

“I train with him every day. Every day he picks me up at my house for training. Training in the morning, training in the afternoon, training at night, helping me with everything. He’s helped me; I’ve helped him. We’ve stuck together,” Barboza said about Edgar.

“That’s a big difference from my last camp. I’m very happy here because I train with the best guys, and I train with good friends. I think that makes a big difference training with good friends.”

The friends Barboza has made in America will continue to help him add more and more tools to his arsenal as he gets ready to head back into the cage, and back home to Brazil for UFC on FX 7 on Jan. 19.

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all the latest UFC news and updates.

Galleries

Frankie Edgar Fights

• a year ago

Edson Barboza Fights

• 6 months ago

Comments

Conor McGregor: 'Essentially, I Am Representing the UFC' | MMAWeekly.com

UFC lightweight champ Conor McGregor talks about his training at the UFC Performance Institute days before his boxing debut against Floyd Mayweather Jr. read news >>

UFC-Rotterdam results: Marion Reneau batters Talita Oliveira for late 3rd-round TKO

Marion Reneau found herself in some tough situations but eventually blasted away with punches from top position to earn a TKO win late.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC 215 Results: Amanda Nunes Beats Valentina Shevchenko in Main Event

It wasn't pretty, but Amanda Nunes found a way to retain her UFC women's bantamweight title over Valentina Shevchenko in the main event at UFC 215 on Saturday. The Lioness successfully defended the s read news >>

Demetrious Johnson: TJ Dillashaw Superfight Demands Superfight Money | MMAWeekly.com

Leading up UFC 215, Demetrious Johnson talks about his frosty relationship with Dana White over refusing to fight TJ Dillashaw. read news >>

Demetrious Johnson plans to keep adding to UFC title defense record – because why would he stop at 11?

Champ Demetrious Johnson believes he still has plenty of competition in the UFC flyweight position.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Twitter Mailbag: Demetrious Johnson chases UFC history, makes a questionable nickname change

Should we be concerned about Ray Borg missing weight? What about Demetrious Johnson’s new nickname? That and more in this Twitter Mailbag.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Watch UFC 215 Live on MMAWeekly.com | MMAWeekly.com

Watch UFC 215: Johnson vs. Borg live via FITE TV Pay-Per-View on Saturday, Sept. 9, at 10 p.m. ET / 7 p.m. PT on MMAWeekly.com. read news >>

Report: Fertitta Brothers No Longer Own Any Part of UFC after Selling Remaining Stake | MMAWeekly.com

Lorenzo and Frank Fertitta are officially out of the mixed martial arts business. The Fertitta brothers, who last year sold off a majority stake in the UFC for more than $4 billion to a conglomerate read news >>

What's with the Missing Mouse? (UFC 215 Embedded) | MMAWeekly.com

(Courtesy of UFC) On Episode 3 of UFC 215 Embedded, women's bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes and challenger Valentina Shevchenko continue to sharpen the techniques they've been working on throughou read news >>

Paige VanZant: 'I Was Killing Myself for This Sport' Making Weight | MMAWeekly.com

Paige VanZant returns to the Octagon on October 7 on the UFC 216 main card against Jessica Eye in a women's flyweight bout. read news >>