eddie-wineland-8.jpgAfter opponent and UFC interim bantamweight champion Renan Barao recently was forced off the card, Eddie Wineland also now is officially out of next month’s UFC 161 event, and he will be rebooked for a future show.

However, with Barao’s recovery timetable unknown, Wineland isn’t necessarily guaranteed a rebooking with the titleholder, UFC officials confirmed with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

UFC 161 takes place June 15 at MTS Centre in the Canadian city of Winnipeg. The main card airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and Facebook.

Barao (30-1 MMA, 5-0 UFC) and Wineland (20-8-1 MMA, 2-2 UFC) were slated to headline the event. But when Barao went down with an injury – torn ligaments in his foot – light heavyweights Rashad Evans (17-3-1 MMA, 12-3-1 UFC) and Dan Henderson (29-9 MMA, 6-3 UFC) were promoted to the headlining spot.

Wineland currently awaits word on his next opponent. Unfortunately for the former WEC champion, both reigning UFC champ Dominick Cruz and interim titleholder Barao are now on the sidelines with injuries. However, fellow contenders such as Urijah Faber, Michael McDonald, Brad Pickett and Scott Jorgensen currently aren’t booked for fights.

Wineland, who’s currently ranked No. 5 in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie.com MMA bantamweight rankings, earned his shot at the interim title following back-to-back wins over Jorgensen and Pickett in 2012. Prior to that, he had suffered losses to Faber and Benavidez as he made the transition from the WEC to the UFC.

The latest UFC 161 card now includes:

MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view, 10 p.m. ET)

PRELIMINARY CARD (FX, 8 p.m. ET)

PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook, 6:35 p.m. ET)

For the latest on UFC 161, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

UFC Performance Institute Hopes to Minimize Injuries, Advance Training Techniques | MMAWeekly.com

  • 25 days ago
  • 8 views

UFC recently unveiled irs newly constructed Performance Institute in Las Vegas. The enormous, 30,000 square foot facility was built to assist fighters. read news >>

UFC champ Max Holloway signs on for 'Den of Thieves' movie, hopes to be cleared next week

  • 17 days ago
  • 14 views

HOUSTON – UFC interim featherweight champion Max Holloway said he’s recovered after re-injuring his ankle at UFC 206, and he’s still gunning for undisputed champ Jose Aldo. Filed under: Featured Vide read news >>

Bellator in Talks with Former UFC Broadcaster Mike Goldberg | MMAWeekly.com

  • 10 days ago
  • 8 views

Longtime UFC broadcaster Mike Goldberg was recently released by the promotion, but could become the latest UFC free agent to come to terms with Bellator. read news >>

Nate Diaz Responds to Dana White's UFC Fight Offer | MMAWeekly.com

  • 12 days ago
  • 1742 views

UFC president Dana White recently said that Nate Diaz had been offered a fight, and he was awaiting a response. It appears that he now has one. read news >>

Nate Diaz Wants to Box Because UFC Put Him on the Shelf | MMAWeekly.com

  • 25 days ago
  • 432 views

Nate Diaz recently applied for a boxing license because he is "being put on the shelf" by the UFC. read news >>

After win over 'Zombie,' UFC Fight Night 104's Dennis Bermudez wants interim champ Holloway

  • 17 days ago
  • 7 views

HOUSTON – Dennis Bermudez has a plan in place after Saturday night, and it’s a good one. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Namajunas vs. Waterson, 3 Other Bouts, Revealed for UFC on FOX 24 | MMAWeekly.com

  • 8 days ago
  • 4 views

The Ultimate Fighting Championship officially announced UFC on FOX 24 on Saturday night, revealing four bouts for the card. read news >>

UFC 208 video highlights: Anderson Silva vs. Derek Brunson

  • 8 days ago
  • 15 views

For the first time since 2012 – officially, anyway – the legendary Anderson Silva won a fight. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Fight Night 105's Hector Lombard blames octagon losses on 'stupidity' of welterweight run

  • 3 days ago
  • 12 views

HALIFAX – Hector Lombard hasn’t officially won a fight in nearly three years – and he blames no one but himself for the skid.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Ex-heavyweight champ Brock Lesnar notifies UFC of MMA retirement

  • 5 days ago
  • 3 views

Former heavyweight champ informed UFC on Tuesday that he's officially retiring from competition. read news >>