#UFC Fight Night 118 #Darren Till #Donald Cerrone #Bellator 185 #Artem Lobov #Andre Fili #Gegard Mousasi #Alexander Shlemenko #Karolina Kowalkiewicz #Jan Blachowicz #Devin Clark #Kristina Williams #Bellator MMA #Sam Alvey #Ramazan Emeev

With his Bellator contract nearing an end, Eddie Alvarez could not afford to lose his April 20 rematch against Shinya Aoki.

Alvarez was already coming off a loss to Michael Chandler in November. A second consecutive defeat would have hurt his bargaining power when it comes time to strike a new deal with Bellator or move on to a different promotion, possibly the UFC. Plus, it would have marked his second loss to Aoki in as many meetings between the two.

Alvarez was determined to get back in the cage, though, and getting revenge against Aoki provided plenty of motivation.

“I’ve been sitting for so long,” Alvarez told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “They made me sit for six months. I get to fight twice a year. I’m not 45. I’m 28 and I just feel like if an opportunity presents itself for me to fight, I feel like I should take it. ... If I wasn’t into gambling, I wouldn’t have fought Shinya Aoki for a second time. If I would have lost, I feel like it would have been career suicide for me. I’m a gambling man.”

Aoki heel-hooked Alvarez just 92 seconds into their December 2008 encounter in Japan. In the rematch at Bellator 66, the submission specialist came out aggressively on the feet.

“I didn’t expect him to throw any punches,” Alvarez said. “He just never throws punches. It definitely threw me off guard. He got me with a hook. He caught me with a hook and I went, ‘Whoa, man. He’s throwing some punches here.’”

It didn’t take Alvarez long to adjust. He cracked Aoki with an uppercut and then pounded him out on the ground at the 2:14 mark of the first.

“In my head, I think I was the most calm, the most relaxed, and the most empty minded I’ve ever been,” Alvarez said. “Although I was very aware of what the fight meant and if I won or lost what it would mean, at the same time I found myself able to focus on only the things that I could control and I just sort of took everything else and threw it out. I was very different going into this fight, [more] than any other fight in that I was very calm, relaxed and I felt like all my preparation was done correctly.”

Alvarez actually left his home in Philadelphia to train for the bout in Florida with the Blackzilians camp at Imperial Athletics. His training went so well, he might move there. In fact, Alvarez plans to live with his family in Florida for part of the summer as he weighs his career options.

“We’re going to live down there for maybe half the summer and see how everything works out and possibly seriously consider relocating,” Alvarez said. “I also, in all fairness, love my home and what’s going on, but these next couple of years are going to be defining moments in my career. I’m going to do everything I can to take full advantage of the opportunities that are given to me. If that means having to relocate, my wife is completely a part of my team and is behind me and so are my kids. We’ll just do what I have to do.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:11:55).

Galleries

Eddie Alvarez Fights

• a year ago

Comments

What Is Benson Henderson's Legacy After Bellator 183?

The Bellator career of Benson Henderson has been turbulent. He's enjoyed two title fights in two separate weight classes since jumping ship from the UFC in early 2016, but he lost them both. After hi read news >>

Bellator 184 results: Emmanuel Sanchez taps former champ Daniel Straus in third

Emmanuel Sanchez picked up the biggest win of his Bellator career with a third-round submission of former champion Daniel Straus.Filed under: News read news >>

Bellator contract allows Heather Hardy crossover in boxing, MMA

Rather than be held to one promoter and one sport, Bellator 185’s Heather Hardy gets to choose between MMA and boxing. Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

Video: Nikita Krylov crushes former Bellator champ Emanuel Newton, stays perfect post-UFC

Nikita Krylov remained perfect in his post-UFC career when he defeated former Bellator champ Emmanuel Newton at Fight Nights Global 77.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News read news >>

Gegard Mousasi's Bellator plan: Shlemenko, title, MacDonald, light heavyweight – then retire?

Gegard Mousasi sees endless possibilities for his Bellator career. But it all starts with Bellator 185.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Here's that knee-KO that continued Tatsuya Kawajiri's career tailspin

Today at Rizin FF 7, MMA vet Tatsuya Kawajiri had a chance to build some momentum. Instead, it left him with a bruised noggin and another loss.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News read news >>

Eddie Alvarez talks 'TUF 26' gripe with Lauren Murphy – and lack of heat with Justin Gaethje

While “TUF 26” coach Eddie Alvarez didn’t exactly get along with team member Lauren Murphy, things went smoothly with rival coach Justin Gaethje: “He’s actually a hell of a human being.”Filed under: read news >>

Grant Dawson Took Out Adrian Diaz, Earned UFC Contract (Free Fight Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Not only did Grant Dawson take out Adrian Diaz in week 6 of Dana White's Tuesday Night Contender Series, he captured a UFC contract in the process. read news >>

Charles Byrd Forced the Tap, Earned a UFC Contract (Free Fight Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Witness Charles Byrd become the first fighter to go 2-0 on Dana White's Tuesday Night Contender Series and earn a UFC contract. read news >>

Friday's Bellator 185 lineup loses 2 main-card bouts

Friday’s Bellator 185 main card has undergone some major changes.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>