#UFC Fight Night 83 #Saturday Night Fights #GGG #Luke Rockhold #David Branch #Golovkin vs. Canelo #HBO Boxing PPV - Golovkin vs. Canelo #Golovkin vs Canelo

Anderson Silva’s manager, Ed Soares, doesn’t dislike Chael Sonnen. In fact, he thinks Sonnen is a good guy.

That doesn’t mean Soares approved of Sonnen’s comments leading up to UFC 148, however.

“I’ve always thought Chael was a good guy,” Soares told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “I just thought that he crossed the line. Chael is a good person. Chael, when the cameras are off, he’s a good guy. He’s a solid guy. I like Chael. I always have, but I’ll tell you, whether he was just hyping [the fight] or not, there were times when he would start pissing me off and I had nothing to do with it.”

Sonnen leveled remarks at Silva’s wife, his country and more. For sure he helped build a huge amount of anticipation for the bout, but Soares believes Sonnen took the personal attacks too far.

“To hear Chael talk about Anderson’s wife that way and talk about Brazil … to talk about any nation and any other culture that way, I don’t see the benefit for it,” Soares said. “I really don’t see the benefit for it. I do think he crossed the line. I don’t think Chael’s a bad person. I think Chael was just trying to do what he could to try to promote the fight and make this fight as big as possible, but I think that he did cross the line. I’ll say it now and I’ve said it before: No one ever paid attention to Chael Sonnen. No one ever paid attention to him. Unfortunately his style of fighting’s not exciting to watch. The only time people started paying attention to him was when he started talking about Anderson. Once he struck that nerve and saw that it worked, I think he just took it to another level.”

Sonnen’s comments seemed to strike a nerve with Silva. At the weigh-ins, the champ hit the challenger with his shoulder during their faceoff. Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director Keith Kizer spoke with Silva’s camp about the incident, but according to Soares, Silva will not be fined.

“Keith Kizer had a talk with us after the fight,” Soares said. “He pulled us to the side and kind of talked to Anderson about what happened. Everybody that knows Anderson knows that that was a little bit out of character. Sometimes emotions get to people. I’m not saying I 100-percent agree with what he did, but I mean, come on, man. People can’t forget that the guy was talking about his wife, talking about his country, talking about all that. At that point in time it’s like two wrongs don’t make a right, but it happens. It’s a fight.”

Of course Silva won the rematch, stopping Sonnen via strikes 1:55 into the second round. Afterward both fighters seemed more cordial with each other. Silva even invited Sonnen to his home for a barbecue, which didn’t surprise Soares as much as it reinforced his view that Silva had moved past Sonnen’s challenge with class.

“I think [Silva] just wears his heart on his sleeve,” Soares said. “It’s done with. He beat him up twice. He submitted him once. He TKO’d him the second time. Now what else does Chael have to say?”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 2:26:26).

Comments

Jon Jones' manager writes blistering Facebook post vowing to stand by him after failed drug test

“The amount of hate that everyone has towards Jon Jones without due process is beyond me.”Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Alexander Gustafsson 'sad,' but 'not surprised' by Jon Jones' latest positive test

Alexander Gustafsson called Jon Jones’ second failed drug test sad and thinks Jones should hang up his gloves if the findings are confirmed.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Jon Jones' Manager Confounded, Refuses to Believe Jones Cheated | MMAWeekly.com

UFC champion Jon Jones is in the midst facing what could be yet another setback in his life, but his manager refuses to believe he cheated. read news >>

Conor McGregor's manager explains biggest misconception of May-Mac showdown

Audie Attar reflects on everything leading up to “The Money Fight,” including his fight week altercation with Paulie Malignaggi.Filed under: News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>

Luck of the Irish: 7 things that broke Conor McGregor's way to land huge Floyd Mayweather payday

Conor McGregor doesn’t land this life-changing “Money Fight” against Floyd Mayweather without some breaks on his way to the top.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Don't mind Conor McGregor, who enjoyed sipping whiskey after losing to Floyd Mayweather

The fact that he was TKO’d by Floyd Mayweather did not seem to dampen Conor McGregor’s spirit.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Manager: Conor McGregor wants Nate Diaz trilogy, but Ferguson, Lee, Khabib and Holloway options

Conor McGregor’s manager explains his many next fight possibilities following his loss to Floyd Mayweather in “The Money Fight.”Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC champ Demetrious Johnson: Mayweather-McGregor hoopla can't take away from my history

Demetrious Johnson doesn’t care if his upcoming fight promotion has taken a backseat to Mayweather-McGregor.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Beating Johnson not an upset in Borg's mind

Ray Borg doesn’t need any reminders from the past to let him know what he’s going up against on Saturday, because, to him, beating Demetrious Johnson wouldn’t be an upset. read news >>

Canada cursed? A history of UFC main-event changes in 'The Great White North'

It still doesn’t seem like all that long ago when UFC business was booming in Canada. Now it can’t hold together a main event.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>