#Fabricio Werdum #UFC London #Conor McGregor #UFC 222 #Khabib Nurmagomedov #Alexander Volkov #UFC 217 #Michael Bisping #Tony Ferguson

Dustin Poirier trying to move past Alvarez debacle, believes win over Pettis has him in title mix

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. – On the heels of what at the time likely was the biggest opportunity of Dustin Poirier’s career, he has one Saturday that could top it.

And while Poirier (21-5 MMA, 13-4 UFC) is committed to focusing on former UFC and WEC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis (20-6 MMA, 7-5 UFC), whom he meets in the UFC Fight Night 120 main event, it’s hard to completely forget the debacle that was his UFC 211 fight against Eddie Alvarez in May.

In that fight in Dallas, in the second round, former champ Alvarez landed a pair of knees to the head while Poirier was grounded. The cageside doctor ultimately stopped the fight, and referee Herb Dean ruled the fight a no-contest rather than a disqualification win for Poirier.

Poirier believes a win over someone like Alvarez could have gotten him a title shot. But that didn’t come. Alvarez went on to get a coaching spot on the current season of “The Ultimate Fighter” opposite Justin Gaethje.

“I don’t like to stare in the rearview, but the losses, or what could have been from that fight, it’s uncountable,” Poirier on Wednesday told MMAjunkie in Virginia ahead of his Saturday return. “I mean, I could have gotten a title shot with that win. I lost my win bonus. I lost ‘Fight of the Night’ bonus, probably. So we’re talking a lot of money, and potentially a lot more money with the title shot. Another win on my record.

“It goes on and on and on, so I don’t even like to think about it. I haven’t watched the fight but once since it happened, and that was the day after. I’m on to the next thing.”

The next thing is Pettis at UFC Fight Night 120, which takes place Saturday at Ted Constant Convocation Center in Norfolk, Va. It airs on FS1 following early prelims on UFC Fight Pass.

When Poirier got the call with the Pettis offer on the table – a fight Pettis says he asked for – he knew he was the kind of opponent that could get him back into that title conversation. Poirier currently is ranked No. 13 in the latest USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA lightweight rankings. Pettis is No. 11.

“I was pumped about it, because here’s another former world champion, another opportunity for me to go out there and show the kind of fighter I am,” Poirier said. “I can’t be mad with them matching me up with two former world champions in a row. I beat the first one, and I’m about to beat the second one. That just shows you the caliber that I am. I’m world-champion class, I know that.”

And with the UFC’s lightweight title picture in a constant state of flux, who knows what could come with a win. Champion Conor McGregor likely gets interim champ Tony Ferguson next – if he can sort out his demands with the UFC. Alvarez and Gaethje are scheduled to fight at UFC 218 next month and no doubt are in the mix. Khabib Nurmagomedov and Edson Barboza fight at UFC 219.

But the Poirier-Pettis winner will no doubt be pleading his case to be in that mix.

“I feel like I’m one away with a win over Anthony Pettis, if not there,” Poirier said. “I mean, Kevin Lee just got (an interim) title shot ranked No. 7 (in the UFC rankings). I feel like I beat Eddie Alvarez, who was ranked No. 2 or 3 at the time, so I know I’m there.”

For more from Poirier, check out the video above.

And for more on UFC Fight Night 120, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Dustin Poirier Fights

• a year ago

Khabib Nurmagomedov Won't Give Conor McGregor Immediate Title Shot | MMAWeekly.com

Khabib Nurmagomedov believes there is no confusion about the UFC lightweight title that he is fighting for when he meets Tony Ferguson in the UFC 223 headliner on April 7 in Brooklyn, N.Y. When UFC p read news >>

Bellator 194 results: Vadim Nemkov destroys Liam McGeary's leg for TKO win over ex-champ

Ex-Bellator light heavyweight champ Liam McGeary’s slide continues. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 126 results: Lucie Pudilova knockdowns help her past gritty Sarah Moras

Lucie Pudilova was stellar on the feet in a unanimous decision win over Sarah Moras. read news >>

Twitter reacts to Donald Cerrone's TKO of Yancy Medeiros to tie UFC wins record

See the top Twitter reactions to Donald Cerrone’s win over Yancy Medeiros in the UFC Fight Night 126 main event. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 126 video highlights: Geoff Neal vs. Chris Camozzi

Check out the highlights of Geoff Neal’s submission win over Chris Camozzi at UFC-Austin. read news >>

Sage Northcutt believes UFC-Austin win was deserving, plans to shore up mistakes

Sage Northcutt squeaked by Thibault Gouti with a unanimous decision and believes the difference was in the details. read news >>

Torres believes a win Saturday over Andrade could earn her a title shot

“That’s what I suppose,” said Torres of a title shot being the result of a win in Orlando. “I haven’t heard anything from the UFC, but I can’t see there being anybody else deserving of it outside of read news >>

UFC on FOX 28's Max Griffin: Mike Perry is 'a clown to me,' has confidence issues

Max Griffin believes in scientific measures of his ability to hang with Mike Perry and some less scientific ones. read news >>

Dana White Believes Nick Diaz is Finally Ready to Fight Again | MMAWeekly.com

Nick Diaz might be ready to return to action. After a hiatus that stretches all the way back to 2015 when he faced former middleweight champion Anderson Silva, Nick Diaz may be looking to return to a read news >>

Twitter reacts to Jessica Andrade's impressive win over Tecia Torres at UFC on FOX 28

See the top Twitter reactions to Jessica Andrade’s big win at UFC on FOX 28 that likely sets up her second strawweight title shot. read news >>

Jessica Andrade Powers Past Tecia Torres (UFC on FOX 28 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

The co-main event of Saturday's UFC on FOX 28 fight card in Orlando, Fla. featured a women's strawweight bout with title shot implications. read news >>

Twitter reacts to Jeremy Stephens' brutal (and controversial) knockout win at UFC on FOX 28

See the top Twitter reactions to Jeremy Stephens’ controversial win over Josh Emmett in the UFC-Orlando headliner. read news >>

Urijah Faber: Dominick Cruz, Michael Bisping 'f*cking blind' to Jeremy Stephens' illegal knee

Urijah Faber believes Team Alpha Male pupil Josh Emmett got a raw deal at UFC-Orlando. read news >>

Max Griffin surprised almost everyone but himself with dominant win over Mike Perry

Max Griffin knows most people didn’t think so, but he knew early on he’d be around to talk to the media after his UFC on FOX 28 fight. read news >>

Jessica Andrade knew takedowns would be key to win over Torres, return to possible title shot

Jessica Andrade used a crucial takedown game and top control to potentially earn her way back to another title shot. read news >>

Marion Reneau has an idea for UFC matchmakers after beating Sara McMann at UFC on FOX 28

Marion Reneau believes beating Sara McMann at UFC on FOX 28 was essential in order to prove something to herself and everyone else. read news >>

Search for: