#UFC 218 #Conor McGregor #Francis Ngannou #UFC 217 #Alistair Overeem #Max Holloway #Mike Perry #Lomachenko vs Rigondeaux #GSP

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. – On the heels of what at the time likely was the biggest opportunity of Dustin Poirier’s career, he has one Saturday that could top it.

And while Poirier (21-5 MMA, 13-4 UFC) is committed to focusing on former UFC and WEC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis (20-6 MMA, 7-5 UFC), whom he meets in the UFC Fight Night 120 main event, it’s hard to completely forget the debacle that was his UFC 211 fight against Eddie Alvarez in May.

In that fight in Dallas, in the second round, former champ Alvarez landed a pair of knees to the head while Poirier was grounded. The cageside doctor ultimately stopped the fight, and referee Herb Dean ruled the fight a no-contest rather than a disqualification win for Poirier.

Poirier believes a win over someone like Alvarez could have gotten him a title shot. But that didn’t come. Alvarez went on to get a coaching spot on the current season of “The Ultimate Fighter” opposite Justin Gaethje.

“I don’t like to stare in the rearview, but the losses, or what could have been from that fight, it’s uncountable,” Poirier on Wednesday told MMAjunkie in Virginia ahead of his Saturday return. “I mean, I could have gotten a title shot with that win. I lost my win bonus. I lost ‘Fight of the Night’ bonus, probably. So we’re talking a lot of money, and potentially a lot more money with the title shot. Another win on my record.

“It goes on and on and on, so I don’t even like to think about it. I haven’t watched the fight but once since it happened, and that was the day after. I’m on to the next thing.”

The next thing is Pettis at UFC Fight Night 120, which takes place Saturday at Ted Constant Convocation Center in Norfolk, Va. It airs on FS1 following early prelims on UFC Fight Pass.

When Poirier got the call with the Pettis offer on the table – a fight Pettis says he asked for – he knew he was the kind of opponent that could get him back into that title conversation. Poirier currently is ranked No. 13 in the latest USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA lightweight rankings. Pettis is No. 11.

“I was pumped about it, because here’s another former world champion, another opportunity for me to go out there and show the kind of fighter I am,” Poirier said. “I can’t be mad with them matching me up with two former world champions in a row. I beat the first one, and I’m about to beat the second one. That just shows you the caliber that I am. I’m world-champion class, I know that.”

And with the UFC’s lightweight title picture in a constant state of flux, who knows what could come with a win. Champion Conor McGregor likely gets interim champ Tony Ferguson next – if he can sort out his demands with the UFC. Alvarez and Gaethje are scheduled to fight at UFC 218 next month and no doubt are in the mix. Khabib Nurmagomedov and Edson Barboza fight at UFC 219.

But the Poirier-Pettis winner will no doubt be pleading his case to be in that mix.

“I feel like I’m one away with a win over Anthony Pettis, if not there,” Poirier said. “I mean, Kevin Lee just got (an interim) title shot ranked No. 7 (in the UFC rankings). I feel like I beat Eddie Alvarez, who was ranked No. 2 or 3 at the time, so I know I’m there.”

For more from Poirier, check out the video above.

And for more on UFC Fight Night 120, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Galleries

Dustin Poirier Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Tecia Torres believes she can skip past Joanna Jedrzejczyk in title queue with UFC 218 win

Tecia Torres believes an impressive win over Michelle Waterson at UFC 218 could get her a strawweight title shot.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Jake Matthews Squeaks Out Win Over Bojan Velickovic (UFC Sydney Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

(Video courtesy of UFC on FOX | Viewing may be limited by broadcast rights restrictions) Check out the highlights from the welterweight bout between Jake Matthews and Bojan Velickovic at UFC Fight Ni read news >>

Jessica Rose-Clark Gets Past Bec Rawlings (UFC Sydney Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

(Video courtesy of UFC on FOX | Viewing may be limited by broadcast rights restrictions) Check out the highlights of the from the women's bout between Jessica Rose-Clark and Bec Rawlings at UFC Fight read news >>

Twitter reacts to Fabricio Werdum's dominant win over Marcin Tybura at UFC Fight Night 121

See the top Twitter reactions to Fabricio Werdum’s win over Marcin Tybura in the UFC Fight Night 121 main event.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Not to toot his own horn, but Fabricio Werdum knows his UFC title-shot credentials are best

Fabricio Werdum believes he deserves a UFC title shot after picking up his second victory in a 42-day stretch.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Jake Matthews not thrilled with win at UFC-Sydney, but believes welterweight is his home

It wasn’t very smooth sailing for Jake Matthews on Saturday night in front of his home fans. But a win is a win is a win. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Relive Michael Bisping's TKO Win Over Cung Le (UFC Shanghai Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Take a look back at Michael Bisping's TKO win over Cung Le. Bisping steps in on short notice to face Kelvin Gastelum in the main event of Fight Night Shanghai. read news >>

Jessica-Rose Clark already feels near title shot in 'wide open' flyweight division

UFC-Sydney winner Jessica-Rose Clark believes she’s near title contention just one fight into her UFC career.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Dustin Poirier's neck was a little sore, but without Mike Brown, it could've been worse

Dustin Poirier left a recent UFC headliner with a sore neck, but if it weren’t for Mike Brown, he could’ve left with a loss too.Filed under: News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>

MMAjunkie Radio on holiday break, but now's the time to catch up on past episodes

MMAjunkie Radio is off the remainder of the week to celebrate the Thanksgiving holiday, but now is the perfect time to download and catch up on past episodes.Filed under: News read news >>