#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Bellator 183 #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Paul Daley #Lorenz Larkin #Ovince St. Preux #Fight Night Pittsburgh #Roy Nelson #Javy Ayala #Benson Henderson

10-CamozziJacoby-UFConFox-132Although he won three of his last four MMA fights, former UFC and World Series of Fighting participant Dustin Jacoby was looking for something to inject new life into his career. He found it as part of the kickboxing promotion Glory.

Over the course of February and March, Jacoby won The Road to Glory USA tournament, defeating three fighters in one night, in addition to picking up his first MMA win of the year in the Capital City Cage Wars promotion.

“Kickboxing is a completely different sport and should not be taken lightly because I feel the striking is much better in kickboxing and the technique is much different, but my transition went smoothly,” Jacoby told MMAWeekly.com.

As for fighting in a single night tournament, Jacoby found it a difficult, yet rewarding experience.

“Things went pretty natural,” he said. “When I was in there, I was looking at it as I was getting paid to spar and if I sparred well, then I would go on to the next guy. I just went in there, did my thing, and ended up winning.

“It was a very unique experience. It’s different than fighting one time. You’re warming your body up and then cooling it down, warming your body up and cooling it down again (between fights). It’s different. I don’t think a lot of people can do it.”

Having switched exclusively to kickboxing over the last several months, Jacoby has racked up a 4-2 record and is looking to close out the year with a win over veteran Makoto Uehara at Glory 13 on Dec. 21 in Tokyo.

“Makoto has fought very legit competition, he’s fought at a high level, and he’s Japan’s champion, so I’m looking forward to a tough fight,” said Jacoby. “I’ve been working with Mark Montoya of Factory X Muay Thai in Englewood, Colo., and he’s been watching tape on Makoto and we’ve been working on the things he sees and that he feels will win us the fight.

“I’ve competed in Glory enough now to know the ins and outs. I’m not putting too much pressure on myself. I’m just going to go in there and have fun and come out with the victory.”

After having spent much of this year focusing on kickboxing, Jacoby is looking to return to MMA next year and hopefully strike a good balance between the two sports in 2014.

“When I came into 2013, I was looking to continue MMA and climb the ladder in the sport, and kickboxing came out of nowhere and has taken care of me and given me a lot of opportunism,” he said. “Hopefully I can continue to climb the ranks in Glory.

“I feel like I have unfinished business in MMA left to do. My contract with WSOF is up in April, so I anticipate some doors opening for me in MMA as well. I’m just taking it one day at a time, train hard and continue to master my craft and skills and hopefully 2014 will be better than 2013.”

Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Comments

UFC Veteran Mark Hunt Discusses Slurred Speech, Memory Loss

Mark Hunt is almost 20 years deep into his combat sports career and, unfortunately, it's starting to catch up with him. The Super Samoan discussed his physical and mental situation in a piece for Pla read news >>

Jesse Taylor Popped for Potential UFC Anti-Doping Violation | MMAWeekly.com

Jesse Taylor made a miraculous turnaround in his career only to have it shrouded in doubt after he was flagged for a potential UFC anti-doping violation. read news >>

UFC champ Cris Cyborg issued California boxing license, appears serious about in-ring career

UFC champion Cris Cyborg seems poised to find out if her MMA dominance can translate to the boxing ring.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC-Pittsburgh results: Gregor Gillespie taps out Jason Gonzalez in absolute barnburner

Gregor Gillespie kept his career record perfect, but Jason Gonzalez didn’t make it easy.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Luke Rockhold Wins but Stays in Middleweight Shadows

Last June, Luke Rockhold defended the UFC middleweight championship against Michael Bisping. Bisping, a seasoned veteran who had never even earned a title shot, took the fight against Rockhold on lat read news >>

Alex Nicholson picks up heavyweight win, aims for UFC return

Four-time UFC veteran Alex Nicholson is looking for a return to the sport’s top promotion, but he’s hoping to do so in a new division.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

UFC-Japan broadcast plans set for FXX, including Alan Jouban's analyst debut

UFC Fight Night 117 in Japan this weekend will feature the in-studio debut of a new fight analyst.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Claudia Gadelha has 'no excuses' for UFC-Japan loss, plans for time off

Claudia Gadelha plans to take a hiatus from competition following a “Fight of the Night” loss to Jessica Andrade at UFC Fight Night 117. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Luke Rockhold Plans Move to Light Heavyweight After Daniel Cormier Retires | MMAWeekly.com

Luke Rockhold has some unfinished business in the UFC middleweight division, but it doesn't sound like the former champion plans on staying at 185 pounds that much longer. On Saturday night, Rockhold read news >>

UFC vet John Howard headlines CES MMA 46 vs. Roger Carroll in Rhode Island

Former CES MMA middleweight champion John Howard, a 14-fight UFC veteran, is returning to the promotion to take on Roger Carroll in October.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, News read news >>