#UFC on Fox 29 #Dustin Poirier #Jon Jones #Conor McGregor #Justin Gaethje #Heroes of Honor #Kevin Lee #Alexander Gustafsson #Khabib Nurmagomedov #Daniel Cormier #Nate Diaz #Tony Ferguson #UFC 217

Dunham plans to be appreciated for working way through ranks

<a href='../fighter/Evan-Dunham'>Evan Dunham</a> squares off with UFC 216 opponent <a href='../fighter/Beneil-Dariush'>Beneil Dariush</a> at Media Day
Evan Dunham has returned. Not that he ever really left, but if anyone went to track him down through the usual social media outlets, they would have come up empty.

“I don’t have time for all that stuff,” he laughs. “With social media, I post to my gym’s Instagram account, and I’m on there a little bit here and there, but I value my time in a different way so I try not to be on it too much.”

At 35, maybe Dunham has reached the point in his life where family and training leave little time for a barrage of tweets or IG posts. Or more accurately, it was something that the Oregon native was never too interested in.

“I didn’t see a difference,” he said. “People just want to see a fight. You show up and you fight well, that’s what people want to see. They don’t care about your tweets.”

So while he’s not a tweeter, Dunham certainly shows up and fights, and after more than eight years on the UFC roster, he is showing prime form heading into his UFC 216 bout against Beneil Dariush, as he brings a four-fight winning streak to T-Mobile Arena. And if he makes it five on Saturday, don’t expect him to change his approach to the game in the slightest.

“Nowadays, you have to be that person who has a second persona and you talk your way into a title shot, but that’s just not me,” he said. “I can try to do that, but it would be fake and wouldn’t come across right. I think the best thing to do is put your real foot forward and let people appreciate you for who you really are. I think after I put Dariush away, I should be in a good position.”

The main card matchup pits two true pros against each other in a meeting that could very well steal Fight of the Night honors even if it hasn’t gotten the mainstream attention it deserves. That’s just fine with Dunham, who has already earned FOTN bonuses for his bouts against Sean Sherk, Nik Lentz, TJ Grant and Rick Glenn. All tough guys, and the type Dunham likes to test himself again. Dariush falls into that category as well.

RELATED: Demetrious Johnson reflects on favorite title defenses ahead of hsitoric bid | John Gooden & Dan Hardy breakdown Ferguson vs. Lee

“I asked for Dariush because I honestly believe he’s one of the toughest in the division,” he said. “I think he’s very underrated and very talented, and a win over him is going to confirm to myself that I need to push hard to try to get to where I know I can be.”

That place is at the top of the lightweight division, and Dunham knows that the time is now to make that run. A five-fight winning streak would give him a nice case for a shot at the belt, and if he gets it, it will have been well earned.

“I think our division makes no sense at all but still is tough,” he laughs. “I’m gonna be one of those guys that when I get my title shot, you’ll look back and say, ‘All right, this guy methodically worked his way through the rankings, like it should be.’”

That’s as old school as it gets, and Dunham wears that veteran badge proudly. It’s allowed him to weather the ups and downs of the sport, and he’s glad he fought through those doubts and bad times to get to where he’s at today.

“My biggest fear in life is looking back and saying, ‘What if?’” he said. “There was a time not too long ago where I was a little burnt from both ends. I wasn’t gonna retire, but I took some time to take some mental inventory. It didn’t take long before I got bored and needed to do something. And the only thing that’s fun for me is training. So I got back in training with the intent not to really jump so hard into anything. But I love training and I do all this work, and I would hate to leave something on the table. I’m not gonna be one of those guys who fights past when they should, but right now, I feel like I’m in a great spot.”

Watch Past Fights

Comments

UFC 223's Max Holloway wants to be 2-division champ – because he'll actually defend both

Max Holloway plans to defend the UFC lightweight and featherweight belts if he wins at UFC 223. Something the first “champ champ” didn’t do. read news >>

CES 49's Chris Curtis Plans: 'Everybody Thinks I Should Be in the UFC' | MMAWeekly.com

Chris Curtis (15-5) will defend his title in a 170-pound main event championship match against Jason Norwood (18-4) at CES 49 on Friday in Lincoln, R.I. read news >>

The Question: Does Max Holloway Stand a Chance Against Khabib at UFC 223

UFC 223 , in some ways, was supposed to be about moving on from Conor McGregor. The lightweight champion, last seen being battered by Floyd Mayweather in a boxing ring, had chosen to remove himself f read news >>

Michael Chiesa Taken to Hospital with Face Injury After Conor McGregor Attack

Michael Chiesa had to be taken to the hospital as the result of an injury suffered ahead of his UFC 223 fight against Anthony Pettis this weekend after Conor McGregor went wild at the Barclays Cente read news >>

UFC 223's Zabit Magomedsharipov: It's up to UFC to decide when I become champion

UFC 223’s Zabit Magomedsharipov wants to be UFC champion, but he said it’s at the promotion’s digression when he gets the belt. read news >>

UFC 223's Karolina Kowalkiewicz seeks bonus in beating Felice Herrig – to pay off shopping debt

Karolina Kowalkiewicz plans to dish out a beating at UFC 223 that makes up for the one her credit card has taken during fight week. read news >>

Paul Felder Ready for War But Plans on Throwing Shots to Finish Al Iaquinta in the First Minute | MMAWeekly.com

Paul Felder is ready for a three round war of attrition against Al Iaquinta, but as tough as the New York native might be, he's also going to be throwing bombs at him with the intention of finishing read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov Believes Conor McGregor is Inevitable, but Wants to Fight Georges St-Pierre | MMAWeekly.com

Khabib Nurmagomedov realizes Conor McGregor is more likely to be in his near future, but he would rather fight Georges St-Pierre. read news >>

Calvin Kattar Plans to 'Shut Down' Renato Carneiro at UFC 223 | MMAWeekly.com

Calvin Kattar (18-2) faces off against Renato Carneiro (11-1-1) in a 145-pound main card bout at UFC 223 on April 7 in Brooklyn, N.Y. read news >>

Dana White Believes Floyd Mayweather to the UFC is a Very Real Possibility | MMAWeekly.com

If all parties involved are to be believed, Floyd Mayweather's mixed martial arts debut may just be willed into reality. Mayweather has said that he is serious about taking a fight in the UFC. Most p read news >>

Victory FC's Mohammed Usman: I didn't come in this sport to be normal

Don’t look now, but there’s another Usman looking to make waves, this time at heavyweight. read news >>

UFC on FOX 29's Justin Gaethje will ask for Eddie Alvarez rematch or title shot

UFC lightweight brawler Justin Gaethje plans to ask for a rematch with Eddie Alvarez or a title shot if he beats Dustin Poirier at UFC on FOX 29. read news >>

'Wonderboy' Issues Fair Warning to Darren Till: 'There Are Levels to this Game' | MMAWeekly.com

Stephen "Wonderboy" Thompson plans on reminding Darren Till why he's the No. 1 ranked welterweight contender in the world when they meet in Liverpool in May read news >>

Ronda Rousey: 'I don't need anyone else's approval to be proud of myself'

Former UFC champ Ronda Rousey reveals the time where she was looking for an “honorable way out” of her UFC career, and why she’s still proud of her accomplishments. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 131's Jimmie Rivera plans to take out grudge against manager on Marlon Moraes

Jimmie Rivera hates Marlon Moraes’ manager, so he’s going to take it out on Moraes when they fight at UFC Fight Night 131. read news >>

Lyoto Machida Honored To Be Vitor Belfort's Last Opponent | MMAWeekly.com

Former light heavyweight champion Vitor Belfort was set to fight for the last time on January 18 against Uriah Hall at UFC Fight Night 124 but Hall was forced out of the bout they day before the even read news >>

Search for: