#Duane Ludwig #Ramsey Nijem #Julian Lane #Justin Buchholz #Conor McGregor #UFC 211 #Nate Diaz #Hayder Hassan #Dhiego Lima #Diaz vs. McGregor 2 #Bellator 179 #Rory MacDonald #TJ Dillashaw #Jon Jones #Lightweight Tournament

It’s a rare case much anymore for the majority of fighters to appear on the Ultimate Fighter to stay in the weight class they competed on during the show.

Due to possibility of weight cutting several times over what is usually a six week period for shooting, a great number of fighters that appear on the reality show compete at a higher weight and then once the competition is over, they move down to a more competitive weight class.

For this season of the Ultimate Fighter, the opposite was true for Team Carwin competitor Sam Alvey.

The biggest part of Alvey’s career has been spent between light heavyweight and middleweight, but when the call came in to be a part of the 16th season of the reality show, the Team Quest fighter had to jump at the opportunity.

“Most of my career I’ve been at 205 and then I made the cut to 185 and that was a pretty big cut. Then 29 days before the show aired I got asked to be on the show, so I cut 40lbs in that 29 days,” Alvey told MMAWeekly Radio on Monday.

The rough weight cut didn’t show during his first appearance on the show as Alvey won by first round knockout. His plan was to try and fight as soon as possible during the quarterfinal round so he wouldn’t have much of a chance to put too much weight back on.

Alvey got his wish because his coach Shane Carwin chose him to compete in the second fight of the season overall, but it all back fired in the fight after another tremendously tough weight cut.

“I was so drained after the cut and I just never regained, I mean in the fight I threw three punches, I had two takedowns or what could have been takedowns had I used it, it just wasn’t my day,” said Alvey.

He pays credit to opponent Joey Rivera, who was looked at as a big underdog heading into the fight against the No. 1 pick from Team Carwin.

“Even if I would have had an easy weight cut maybe I would have lost, he’s an incredible opponent,” Alvey stated.

While the Ultimate Fighter experience as a whole was a great time for Alvey to learn and grow as a competitor, and also giving him his first show in the UFC, he knows now that cutting to welterweight may not have been the best idea.

If the UFC decides he’s best built for the 170lb weight class, of course he’ll stay there, but otherwise Alvey is done with the draining effects of dropping down that low and he plans a return to the middleweight division.

“Ideally, I’m going to go back to middleweight as fast as I can,” Alvey commented.

“But Dana White is now my boss, and if Dana White calls me up and says he wants me at 55, I’ll find a way to make 55. Wherever I’m needed, whatever is offered is where I’ll fight, but 185 I would like to be my home.”

For more news and rumors make sure you’re following MMAWeekly.com on Twitter –> Here

UFC Announces TUF 26 Will Crown Women's Flyweight Champion | MMAWeekly.com

A new division will be created and a new champion will emerge from the next season of The Ultimate Fighter. read news >>

TUF 26: What You Need to Know About the Division, Fighters, and the Ideal Roster

On May 4, the UFC sent out a press release informing the world that a new season of The Ultimate Fighter would crown the inaugural women's flyweight champion. Hours later, UFC President Dana White to read news >>

Dana White Scrum: TUF 26 and Women's Flyweights, Cris Cyborg, and More (video) | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

Dana White talked about TUF, the women's flyweight division, and provided his company's first comment on the Cris Cyborg battery incident. read news >>

Lane brings new focus to the Octagon

Julian Lane, who faces Ramsey Nijem on Wednesday’s episode of TUF: Redemption, is at peace with a lot of things these days, and he’s certainly not the same person he was back in 2012, when he was a 4 read news >>

Assistant Coaches Nearly Come to Blows on TUF 25 | MMAWeekly.com

• 14 hours ago

The animosity between Team Alpha Male’s Cody Garbrandt and former teammate TJ Dillashaw has been on full display during this season of The Ultimate Fighter. read news >>

Ramsey Nijem Escapes Danger and Finishes Julian Lane (TUF 25 Fight Replay) | MMAWeekly.com

• 13 hours ago

Ramsey Nijem fights out of two submissions to earn a TKO victory over Julian Lane and puts Team Dillashaw up 6-0 in the competition on The Ultimate Fighter 25. read news >>

Tensions Between Teams Reach Boiling Point on TUF 25 | MMAWeekly.com

• 13 hours ago

Tensions between Team Garbrandt and Team Dillashaw reached a boiling point on the sixth episode of The Ultimate Fighter: Redemption. read news >>

This time it's true: UFC will crown inaugural women's flyweight champ with 'TUF 26'

The UFC means it this time: An inaugural women’s flyweight champion will be on “The Ultimate Fighter 26.”Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Georges St-Pierre vs. Michael Bisping Talks Off; Yoel Romero to Get Title Shot

UFC President Dana White told Fox Sports Australia's UFC Fight Week that a planned middleweight title fight between Georges St-Pierre and Michael Bisping has been called off. According to Fox Sports read news >>

James Krause Punches Ticket to TUF 25 Quarterfinals | MMAWeekly.com

The Ultimate Fighter 25 cast is made up of sixteen fighters that previously appeared on the show. Fifteen of them are not under UFC contract. James Krause is. read news >>