#UFC Fight Night 118 #Darren Till #Donald Cerrone #Bellator 185 #Artem Lobov #Andre Fili #Gegard Mousasi #Alexander Shlemenko #Karolina Kowalkiewicz #Jan Blachowicz #Devin Clark #Kristina Williams #Sam Alvey #Ramazan Emeev #Marcin Held

Dominick Cruz and Urijah Faber - WEC 26

Urijah Faber and Dominick Cruz at WEC 26 weigh-ins

Dominick Cruz has been dealing with a nagging hand injury that needs surgery to correct, but he’d put off the procedure to coach “The Ultimate Fighter.”

Prior to his WEC 53 title defense against Scott Jorgensen, Cruz told MMAWeekly.com, “I’ll probably be out for at least four to six months. The type of work they need to do to my hand, that’s what they told me, but I’m a quick recovery type of guy so I’m going to go ahead and say four months.”

“I work for the UFC basically now, the WEC before, and I pretty much do what I’m told. But at the same time, I’ve been going into these last two fights with a hand injury that needs to be addressed so that I can continue to fight at the level that I’m fighting because it’s just something that’s going to get worse if I don’t get it taken care of,” said the bantamweight titleholder during the WEC 53 post-fight press conference.

“I’ll know by Monday. I’m going to talk to my camp, talk to whoever I need to talk to at the UFC/WEC and get my hand checked out.”

With the WEC folding over into the UFC, opportunity comes with the transition for several WEC stars, and Cruz would be willing to put off surgery if the right situation presented itself, like coaching “The Ultimate Fighter.”

Speculation has swirled for weeks about who would be named the coaches of the next season of “The Ultimate Fighter.”

Urijah Faber handed Cruz his only loss to date and he and the former WEC featherweight titleholder aren’t exactly friends. Asked if he’d accept a coaching position on the Spike TV reality show opposite Faber, Cruz said he would.

“I would accept it very much, and I’d be stoked, and it would be awesome because I’d get my loss back. With an opportunity like that I might have to deal with the hand again,” stated Cruz. “I’ll get my hand checked out and I’ll take it stride by stride, talk to my camp, coaches. They want what’s best for me, and I want what’s best for the longevity of my career as well.”

Faber submitted Cruz back in 2007 in a featherweight match-up at WEC 26 by guillotine choke, and the newly crowned UFC bantamweight champion believes they’re different fighters now and wants nothing more than to avenge that loss.

“It’s a different fight, completely. He was a better fighter than me that day, but it’s been three years, and that was my very first training camp I had with my coach Eric Del Fierro,” said Cruz.

“Before that fight I was still working a full-time job. Now I can devote every ounce of energy into fighting to become the best fighter that I can. I have weapons everywhere, and I just know I’m on another level than him.”

Faber recently dropped weight classes from featherweight to the 135-pound division and has called for a rematch with the current titleholder.

“He looked good in his last fight. He finished the guy very quickly. But still, he didn’t fight somebody that was at the super, top level at 135 at this particular moment,” said Cruz of Faber’s lone bantamweight performance.

“Some of the things that he’s going to improve on is just basically just trying to adjust to my game, and that will be hard for him because it’s hard to find people that move as much as I do. But there’s certain things that he can do, game plans that he can come up with. Good luck. I don’t know what, but I’ll be ready.”

UFC president Dana White said he’ll make a decision on Friday about the next season’s coaches. We know it’s not going to be Chael Sonnen and Wanderlei Silva, so why not Cruz and Faber?

Galleries

Urijah Faber Fights

• a year ago

Dominick Cruz Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Knee injury, surgery forces Teemu Packalen from UFC Fight night 118 vs. Marcin Held

The UFC’s return to Poland later this month for UFC Fight Night 118 has taken a hit to one of its featured bouts. Filed under: News read news >>

Former UFC champion Mauricio 'Shogun' Rua undergoes (another) knee surgery

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Mauricio Rua has been forced to undergo yet another knee surgery.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

'Shogun' Rua Undergoes Knee Surgery After Falling Out of Fight Against Ovince Saint-Preux | MMAWeekly.com

Mauricio "Shogun" Rua underwent successful knee surgery this week following an injury that force him out of his previously scheduled fight against Ovince Saint-Preux in Japan. The former UFC light he read news >>

Recovered from shoulder surgery, Edson Barboza wants a fight – but not just any fight

For Edson Barboza, a title shot would be great, but a fight with Khabib Nurmagomedov would also suffice.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Watch MMAjunkie Radio here (1 p.m. ET) with Daniel Cormier (in studio) and Urijah Faber

MMAjunkie Radio kicks off today at 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m. PT) with guests Daniel Cormier, who’s in studio, and Urijah Faber.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Stream or download MMAjunkie Radio #2538 with guests Daniel Cormier, Urijah Faber

Stream or download Friday’s episode of MMAjunkie Radio with guests Daniel Cormier and Urijah Faber.Filed under: News, Radio, UFC read news >>

Twitter reacts to Derrick Lewis' late withdrawal from UFC 216 vs. Fabricio Werdum

Check out the top Twitter reactions to Derrick Lewis’ injury and withdrawal from UFC 216 vs. Fabricio Werdum.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Champ Demetrious Johnson breaks down 'Mighty Armbar,' reveals potential knee injury

UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson used his opponent’s fighting philosophy against him to break the all-time title defense record at UFC 216.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC 216 medical suspensions: Ray Borg potentially out six months with finger injury

After tapping to an armbar in the fifth round of UFC 216’s co-headliner, Ray Borg is facing a six-month medical suspension for a finger injury. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Hall of Famer Urijah Faber remains comfortably retired, 'no temptation' to fight just because

Urijah Faber admits there are a few scenarios that could lure him back to the cage, though he’s fine staying retired.Filed under: News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>