UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz

UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz is in jeopardy of being stripped of his title if he’s unable to return in early 2014.  Consecutive knee surgeries have sidelined the titleholder since for nearly two years.

While Cruz recovers, the UFC crowned an interim bantamweight champion, Renan Barao, that defended his title for the second time at UFC 165: Jones vs. Gustafsson on Saturday.

A unification bout is expected between Cruz and Barao early next year, but Cruz could have taken an easier route in his return.  He could have opted for a warm-up fight and given up the title.  After all, returning to fighting after more than two years on the shelf is already an uphill battle.

But Cruz has no intentions of giving up his belt and isn’t interested in a warm-up fight.  He questions whether or not there even is one in the stacked 135-pound division.

“Tell me who is a warm-up fight in the 135-pound division?” he asked during the UFC 165 Post Show on Fox Sports 2.

“I’ve always said I wanted to fight the best guy when I come back.  I’m not lying about that.  When I come back I wanted to fight the guy that’s number one, the best in the world in the division,” he added.

Cruz won the title in March 2010 by defeating Brian Bowles.  He’s on a ten-fight winning streak and doesn’t want to have to work his way back up to the top of the division that he’s already conquered.

“There is no warm-up fight.  Everybody in the division is tough.  Everybody in there has a threat,” he said.

“The difference is, I earned the title.  I earned that position in a line of great athletes, and I want that shot to fight the best guy in the world.  I don’t want to come back and go to the back of the line and have to work up,” Cruz explained.  “I want to fight the best to prove that I belong here and why I have the title.  Why I’m the best 135-pounder in the world.”

Sitting in a studio or cage-side watching the division where he holds the title move on without him hasn’t been easy for the 28-year-old athlete.

“There’s nothing I can do right now, and that’s frustrating for me.  It has nothing to do with being mad at anybody.  I’m not mad at Renan.  I’m not mad at anybody.  What I’m mad at is I can’t go in there and do what I want to do now, right now,” said Cruz.

UFC president Dana White recently stated that if Cruz was unable to return to action by the beginning of 2014 that the organization would likely strip him of the title.  Cruz understands why the UFC would take that action, but fully expects to be completely healthy by the early 2014 expiration date.

“The boss has spoken, has he not?  So the bottom line is he says I need to be ready by the first of the year.  That means I better be ready by the first of the year or they take the belt and Barao fights somebody else for the real title, not the interim title.  I get it,” said Cruz. “My thing is, I’m on track to be back by the beginning of the year.  That’s my goal.

“This doctor is going to clear me.  And when this doctor clears me, I’m going to be able to train full-time.  When I train full-time, I’m looking to be back at the beginning of this year.  I’m putting everything in my life on hold to come back and fight the best 135-pound interim champion in the world.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

UFC middleweight champ Michael Bisping expects spring return – and wants a money fight

We may not see UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping back in action until the spring, but when he returns, he wants one thing – and it’s something that has been a pretty common refrain in the spo read news >>

Video: Watch UFC Fight Night 104 headliner Dennis Bermudez take on Jimy Hettes in 2014

In next month’s UFC Fight Night 104 headliner, featherweight contender Dennis Bermudez returns to action. Check out one of his vintage performances from 2014.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC on FOX 23 early weigh-in results and live video stream (11 a.m. ET)

DENVER – MMAjunkie is on scene and reporting live from today’s early and official UFC 206 fighter weigh-ins, and you can join us for a live video stream and official results beginning at 11 a.m. (8 a read news >>

UFC on FOX 23: Shevchenko vs. Pena Main Card Weigh-in Videos | MMAWeekly.com

Check out the UFC on FOX 23 main card fighters at the early morning weigh-in as they step on the scale in Denver. read news >>

Dominick Cruz dismisses Raphael Assuncao's callout, says next fight will be for UFC belt

Dominick Cruz didn’t get an immediate rematch after he lost the UFC bantamweight title to Cody Garbrandt at UFC 207 in December. However, if the former champ is to be believed, his next fight will st read news >>

UFC Fight Night 104 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Since the early days when the sport was anything but a mainstream endeavor, the MMA industry has thrived and survived through various websites, forums and, perhaps most importantly, social-media plat read news >>

UFC 208 results: Ryan LaFlare dominates early, cruises to decision over Roan Carneiro

BROOKLYN, N.Y. – Ryan LaFlare used constant pressure and a stiff left hand to outwork and outpoint Roan Carneiro in a fight that got suddenly competitive in the final minute.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 105 early weigh-in results and live video stream (8 a.m. ET)

HALIFAX – MMAjunkie is on scene and reporting live from Saturday’s early and official UFC Fight Night 105 fighter weigh-ins, which kick off at 8 a.m. ET (5 a.m. PT, 9 a.m. AST local time).Filed under read news >>

UFC 208 early weigh-in results: Inaugural title fight set with Holm, de Randamie under championship weight

BROOKLYN, N.Y. – MMAjunkie was on scene and reporting live from today’s early and official UFC 208 fighter weigh-ins, where the promotion’s inaugural women’s featherweight title fight was made offici read news >>

UFC 208 early weigh-in results and live video stream (9 a.m. ET)

BROOKLYN, N.Y. – MMAjunkie is on scene and reporting live from today’s early and official UFC 208 fighter weigh-ins, which kick off at 9 a.m. ET (6 a.m. PT).Filed under: News, UFC read news >>