#Bellator 185 #Gegard Mousasi #Alexander Shlemenko #Kristina Williams #Bellator MMA #Heather Hardy #Conor McGregor #Neiman Gracie #Zak Bucia #UFC 216 #Fight Night Rotterdam #Tony Ferguson #Darren Till #GSP

With the 15th season of “The Ultimate Fighter” set to debut Friday on FX, there’s no love lost between coaches Dominick Cruz and Urijah Faber.

Faber dropped a unanimous decision to Cruz last July, but during a recent appearance on HDNet’s “Inside MMA,” Faber was quick to remind the UFC bantamweight champion that he submitted him with a guillotine choke back in 2007.

“He’s alive right now because there’s rules in MMA, and I had to release his neck and let him breathe,” Faber said. “So you're welcome, Dominick Cruz, for giving you life and letting you live. Next time I'm going to do the same thing. I'm going to let you live, but it's going to be painful.”

Naturally, Cruz didn’t appreciate Faber’s comments.

“He can say whatever he wants, but he’s just saying ignorant things because I get under his skin,” Cruz told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “He starts trying to go for the jugular, but that was one of the dumbest things he could have said because he’s been allowed to live several times. Tyson Griffin let him live. Mike Brown let him live. Jose Aldo chopped his leg off, so I’d be fighting him with no leg right now. He’s just saying stupid things to try to hype things up. It just makes no sense.”

The Griffin loss was Faber’s first in MMA. It took place about a year and a half before he beat Cruz.

“If there weren’t rules in MMA, back in 2005, Tyson Griffin put him to sleep with a knockout and he would have finished him right then and there, and I would have never fought Urijah Faber,” Cruz said. “There would have never been a rivalry. There would have never been nothing. This is a sport. This isn’t a death match. If it’s a death match, I’ll grab a pitchfork and stab him through his chest. It’s not a death match, man. … It’s a sport. It’s a sporting event.”

Faber has said Cruz is a good fighter. However, he believes the champion focuses on scoring points and doesn’t pose any real danger in the Octagon.

“He caught me in a submission in 2007. He beat me. I never made one excuse for it,” Cruz said. “I go and I beat him, and he has nothing but excuses. It’s a sport. You can win by points or you can win by finish. I did not finish him. I beat him by keeping him going backwards the entire fight, landing more punches than him and getting more takedowns than him. Yes, it’s hard to finish him. He’s one of the best fighters on the planet and so am I. He didn’t finish me either.”

Cruz expects a decisive finale, though, when they meet a third time on July 7 at UFC 148.

“I’m going to put a whooping on him, and this time I’m going to finish him,” he said. “I’m tired of hearing him run his mouth with that big chin of his.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 47:00).

Galleries

Urijah Faber Fights

• a year ago

Dominick Cruz Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Frustrated Benson Henderson after Bellator 183 loss: 'I need to stop having close fights'

Benson Henderson is tired of leaving fights in the hands of the judges. He wants to change that after losing in Bellator 183 main event.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Dominick Cruz: Alpha Male is Taking Up TJ Dillashaw's Head Space | MMAWeekly.com

The continuing devolution of TJ Dillashaw's relationship with Team Alpha Male is likely to cause problems when he challenges Cody Garbrandt. read news >>

Dominick Cruz: Cody Garbrandt Won't Pull Out of UFC 217 No Matter What | MMAWeekly.com

Former bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz explains why current titleholder Cody Garbrandt won't pull out his UFC 217 title defense no matter what. read news >>

Dominick Cruz Returns; Cynthia Calvillo Booked Against Former Champ at UFC 219 | MMAWeekly.com

Former bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz has finally booked his next fight as he will face off with Jimmie Rivera at UFC 219 in Las Vegas on Dec. 30. Cruz has been out of action since losing the ba read news >>

Dominick Cruz-Jimmie Rivera, Cynthia Calvillo-Carla Esparza on tap for UFC 219 in Las Vegas

UFC 219 has its first batch of fights, highlighted by the return of Dominick Cruz one year after losing the bantamweight title.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC 219 Fight Card | MMAWeekly.com

UFC 219 Date: December 30, 2017 Venue: T-Mobile Arena Location: Las Vegas, NV UFC 219 Fight Card Dominick Cruz (22-2) vs. Jimmie Rivera (21-1) Cynthia Calvillo (6-0) vs. Carla Esparza (12-4) Louis Sm read news >>

Watch MMAjunkie Radio here (1 p.m. ET) with Daniel Cormier (in studio) and Urijah Faber

MMAjunkie Radio kicks off today at 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m. PT) with guests Daniel Cormier, who’s in studio, and Urijah Faber.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Stream or download MMAjunkie Radio #2538 with guests Daniel Cormier, Urijah Faber

Stream or download Friday’s episode of MMAjunkie Radio with guests Daniel Cormier and Urijah Faber.Filed under: News, Radio, UFC read news >>

UFC Hall of Famer Urijah Faber remains comfortably retired, 'no temptation' to fight just because

Urijah Faber admits there are a few scenarios that could lure him back to the cage, though he’s fine staying retired.Filed under: News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>