#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Gokhan Saki #Ovince St. Preux #Yushin Okami #Conor McGregor #UFC Fight Night 83

UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz is not enjoying his time on the sidelines after undergoing a second surgery on his ACL in late November.

“This is one of the toughest things I’ve had to do because I am a big competitor,” Cruz told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show on Feb. 18. “I miss competing. I haven’t been able to do it in a while and it hurts. But there’s nothing I can really do except sit on my hands and wait for this knee. I know it’s going to be fine. I know I’m going to heal OK. I know I’m going to be in there. I just have to do my time and wait, and that’s the hardest part. I don’t have a whole lot of patience.”

Cruz has not fought since he defended his title against Demetrious Johnson in October 2011. He tore his ACL while training for a third bout against Urijah Faber that was scheduled for UFC 148 on July 2, 2012. However, Cruz actually traces his knee issues all the way back to the WEC, when he fought Charlie Valencia on a torn MCL.

“I think that first injury gave my knee a little leeway, and over time … [it caused] my ACL to take more weight than it needed to because my MCL was a little loose,” Cruz said. “Over years and years of just training and doing what I do, it finally just had enough in a tough training accident.”

Cruz had his ACL replaced last June, but his body rejected it, making the second surgery necessary. With his return to the Octagon pushed back even further, the champion has been forced to adapt accordingly.

“It’s absolutely matured me a lot,” Cruz said. “In essence, I’ve had to find a whole different way of living. I lived a lifestyle where I just trained twice a day every day, and that’s all I wanted to do and that’s all I was ever going to do because I had to win and stay champion forever. That was my mindset. When you get an injury like this, you literally have to rewrite your whole plan from scratch. You’ve got to start over. I’ve had to start over and honestly live life a whole lot different this past year and a half and deal with things differently. A lot of how I’d deal with things in the past has been exercise. Any problem I’d have, I’d just go exercise and I’m fine. I haven’t had that option.”

At this point, Cruz isn’t even allowed to train.

“I’m so far from being cleared,” he said. “I go see the doctor again and they just cleared me to start running. I’m just running -- that’s it. I can’t grapple, I can’t kickbox, I can’t box or anything like that yet. I’ve just got to build my body up slowly.”

That doesn’t mean Cruz is just sitting around, though. He’s doing whatever he can in anticipation of a return.

“The way people are picturing it, I have a feeling, is I’m going to be completely out of the gym, not doing anything and then all of a sudden I’m hopping into a camp,” Cruz said. “I don’t operate that way. I’ve never operated that way. I would almost put money on it that I’m in better shape than a lot of people that are active fighters right now. I’m very active. I’m still doing tons of bike work. I’m still doing tons of upper body strength work. I’m working on everything I can around this knee, including working that knee and the muscles around that leg in order to come back as strong as ever.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:50:35).

Galleries

Dominick Cruz Fights

• a year ago

Comments

'Smiling Tony' is enjoying training for Lee

“The theme for this camp is ‘Smile Tony,’” laughs the man challenging for the interim UFC lightweight title at T-Mobile Arena on Oct. 7. “Because when I smile in my fights, you have the fights like E read news >>

If Garbrandt or Dillashaw Pulls Out of UFC 217, Dominick Cruz is Ready and Willing | MMAWeekly.com

Former bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz is willing to step in if champion Cody Garbrandt of TJ Dillashaw have to pull out of UFC 217. read news >>

Despite another long layoff, Siyar Bahadurzada staying positive at UFC Fight Night 115

Despite another long layoff, this time for a year and a half, Siyar Bahadurzada is ready to crush his goals at UFC Fight Night 115.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Unbeaten Rob Wilkinson not stressing out about losing one day ahead of UFC Rotterdam

Coming to the UFC at 11-0, and with nine first-round finishes, Australia’s Rob Wilkinson is ready to show his skills at the next level.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Fight Night 115's Stefan Struve out to prove once more 'rankings are bull(expletive)'

Stefan Struve believes a win over Alexander Volkov puts him right where he wants to be when it comes to challenging for Stipe Miocic’s belt.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Rotterdam: Volkov vs. Struve Media Day Face-Offs (video) | MMAWeekly.com

(Courtesy of UFC) Watch the face-offs from Thursday's official Media Day at UFC Fight Night Rotterdam. The main event features heavyweights Alexander Volkov and Stefan Struve. Former UFC women's feat read news >>

Bryan Barberena, 'The Prospect Killer'? UFC Fight Night 115 opponent Leon Edwards disagrees

Looking to add a fourth win to his streak, Leon Edwards wants to expand his name to the States and take on top-ranked foes in the process.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Live audio: UFC 215 media call with Johnson-Borg, Nunes-Shevchenko at 5 p.m. ET

You can listen to a live stream of today’s UFC 215 media call with the headliners and co-headliners here on MMAjunkie beginning at 5 p.m. ET (2 p.m. PT).Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Unfiltered Episode: Michael Che, Justin Gaethje, and Nicco Montano

Comic and Saturday Night Live Weekend Update co-anchor Michael Che joins Matt and guest co-host Jamie Crowder in-studio to talk Mayweather vs. McGregor, getting on SNL, and the art of stand up comedy read news >>

UFC Rotterdam: Fight by Fight Preview

Preview Fight Night Rotterdam with the ultimate fight-by-fight breakdown read news >>