#UFC 218 #Conor McGregor #Francis Ngannou #Alistair Overeem #UFC 217 #Lomachenko vs Rigondeaux #Max Holloway #Stipe Miocic #Mike Perry #GSP #Jose Aldo

NORFOLK, Va. – It’s been an up-and-down run for Diego Sanchez for years now.

After the Season 1 “Ultimate Fighter” middleweight winner dropped back to lightweight from a four-fight run at welterweight, he’s gone 4-4 in the division. (He also had a one-fight stint at featherweight, which was a loss to Ricardo Lamas.)

But on Saturday, Sanchez (27-10 MMA, 16-10 UFC) returns to the welterweight division to take on Matt Brown (20-16 MMA, 13-10 UFC) in the UFC Fight Night 120 co-main event, and the extra 15-pound savings has him rejuvenated and feeling like he can make a run at a title again.

UFC Fight Night 120 takes place Saturday at Ted Constant Convocation Center in Norfolk, Va. It airs on FS1, including Sanchez-Brown in the welterweight co-feature, following early prelims on UFC Fight Pass.

“After my loss at UFC 200 … I had to lose to realize that I wasn’t fighting at my best,” Sanchez today told MMAjunkie after a workout in Norfolk, Va. “I wasn’t fighting at my healthiest. It was a hard thing to do. I took that first knockout loss by Al Iaquinta and it made me realize, ‘Ya know what, Diego? You’re 35 years old. You can’t recover from these weight cuts the way you used to when you were 25 years old.’

“I soul searched for months and I said, ‘Ya know what? For the remainder of my career, I’m going to enjoy it.’ Everybody knows I can’t fight forever. Everybody knows that from 35, you’re looking at the window closing on your career. And I know that.”

Sanchez looked around and saw the sport starting to change once USADA started more stringent drug testing. He saw fighters moving up a weight class and finding success, conceivably because they were getting the training benefit of not cutting the weight they once did.

And honestly, Sanchez said needing to make the cut to 155 just had him outright unhappy.

“I went down to 155 for the challenge,” Sanchez said. “I went down to 155 back in the day when (testosterone-replacement therapy) was allowed to be done. These guys didn’t even have a test for Human Growth Hormone. On top of that, they were using IVs to rehydrate.

“So once USADA came in the game, the sport started to adapt and evolve … things are changing. The game is changing. And you’re seeing that the real truth of it is, when fighters are natural, it’s not the size of the dog, it’s the fight in the dog.”

On Saturday, he believes he’ll have plenty of fight and is hoping for a return to the “Nightmare” of old, even though Brown is a 3-1 favorite against him.

For more from Sanchez, check out the video above.

And for more on UFC Fight Night 120, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Galleries

Diego Sanchez Fights

• 7 months ago

Comments

Marcin Tybura Wants Title Shot With a Win Over Fabricio Werdum | MMAWeekly.com

Marcin Tybura wants a title shot if he gets past Fabricio Werdum at UFC Fight Night 121 in Australia. read news >>

Finally ready for promotional debut, Tai Tuivasa ready to take spotlight at UFC-Sydney

The time finally has come for Tai Tuivasa in the UFC. Like play-by-play voice Jon Anik might say, “It shall be done.” Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Cris Cyborg, Holly Holm Will Fight at UFC 219, Likely to Be Main Event

Holly Holm will take on Cris "Cyborg" Justino at UFC 219, according to Lance Pugmire of the Los Angeles Times. Cyborg will defend her recently acquired women's featherweight title in what will likely read news >>

Alex Volkanovski wants $50,000 KO at UFC-Sydney, then fight with 'bully' Jeremy Stephens in Perth

With his third UFC fight in less than a year right around the corner, Alex Volkanovski has a pretty clear plan for his future.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Conor McGregor's Coach Says Notorious Won't Return to UFC Until at Least April

Conor McGregor's coach, John Kavanagh, said on Wednesday that the UFC lightweight champion probably won't return until "April or mid-next year," according to Farah Hannoun of Sports Journal. Kavanagh read news >>

UFC-Sydney staff picks: Who got unanimous nods in Australia?

Check out our staff’s picks for the main-card bouts at UFC Fight Night 121 in Sydney. Who did we like unanimously?Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Opening odds: Champ Cris Cyborg is a hefty favorite over Holly Holm at UFC 219

Can Holly Holm pull off another major upset? If so, some bettors could enjoy a small windfall.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Irene Aldana says she's fighting Talita Oliveira at UFC-St. Louis in January

It appears as if a women’s bantamweight bout is ticketed for the UFC’s January debut in St. Louis. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>