#UFC Fight Night 55 #Fabricio Werdum #Marcin Tybura #UFC 217 #GSP #Michael Bisping

Diego Sanchez has lost his last two fights via decision to Josh Koscheck and Jon Fitch and is currently looking to take on David Bielkheden at UFC 82. Perhaps looking ahead of himself, Sanchez seems to be quite focussed on UFC interim champion, Georges St-Pierre.

In a great interview with MMAmania, Sanchez talks about feeling cast aside when St-Pierre joined the Greg Jackson camp, which at the time was the same camp as Diego.

Jesse Holland (MMAmania.com): Can losing a high profile match or back-to-back matches make a fighter question whether or not he belongs in a certain weight class?

Diego Sanchez: I don’t know, I think it depends on the way that you lose. Look at some of these other guys getting their jaw knocked into the fifth row. You have this guy who is supposed to be unbeatable, an MMA God and Matt Serra went in there and knocked him around.

Jesse Holland (MMAmania.com): That tone leaves me with the impression that you’re not entirely sold on GSP’s immortality.

Diego Sanchez: Oh no. You know what? I respect him, he’s a great warrior who is very strong, but I don’t fear him like some of the other guys at 170. He’s just a man. I could have went down to 155 to avoid him but my dream started at 170 and I’m gonna see it through. He’s out at my old camp now.

Jesse Holland (MMAmania.com): He’s now with Greg Jackson and you’re not. Based on what you’ve said thus far I’ll assume that’s more than just a coincidence?

Diego Sanchez: I have so much respect for the Jackson camp. Keith Jardine, Nate Marquardt, all those guys, they’re still my boys. My loyalty was very strong. But GSP could have gone to any camp he wanted. He knew that place was my home, my dream. That took a little something out of my heart. He’s training in the cage that I bled in, that I sweat in and cried in.

Jesse Holland (MMAmania.com): Did you feel pushed aside when he arrived?

Diego Sanchez: Put yourself there for a minute. You’re an undefeated fighter coming off two of the biggest wins of your career (Parisyan/Riggs). Now they’re bringing in the champion of your weight class to train with your guys? For three months I was telling Greg that my heart wasn’t feeling it. Greg kept telling me “Trust me, trust me, you guys are going to make each other the best” but I kept feeling like their true intentions were to make me go down to 155. I mean most of the Jackson fighters cut a lot of weight and that’s not me. I wasn’t going to do it. I wasn’t bowing down to Georges St. Pierre. I ain’t riding nobody’s coattails. I’m Diego Sanchez and just because I had two decision losses – one while I was sick and one controversial to a top five welterweight – does not mean that I’m gonna give up on my dream, my dream to be welterweight champion. Maybe me and GSP will throw down in Albuquerque somewhere in the future. Dana told me there is going to be a show in Albuquerque. I don’t want to fight him unless it’s for the title. I want him for five rounds.

Jesse Holland (MMAmania.com): What would you do to prepare for that fight?

Diego Sanchez: The way GSP destroyed Matt Hughes I said to myself the only way I’m gonna beat this guy is to outwork him. I have something in my heart that he doesn’t have. Maybe he has something that I don’t, but you know what? That’s what we’re gonna put against each other in the ring. I just pray that it’s a five round fight. I don’t want it to be about points. I want him to be the champion at the time and have to fight me for five rounds. Believe me if Koscheck and Fitch had to go five rounds things would have been different. I’ll never get tired. It’s genetic with me, all in my DNA. I’m here to fight.

Sanchez needs to be focussed on his next fight and nothing else. After two consecutive losses, he still has something to prove before he gets in the cage for a shot at the title.

Galleries

Georges St Pierre GSP Fights

• a month ago

Diego Sanchez Fights

• 7 months ago

Comments

Legendary Boxing Trainer Roach Talks GSP vs Bisping

Freddie Roach watched former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre go through his paces in an open workout for fans and media Wednesday at The Theater at Madison Square Garden. Roach is enjoyin read news >>

Robert Whittaker Doesn't Sound All That Impressed by Georges St-Pierre's Performance | MMAWeekly.com

Robert Whittaker talks about GSP's win over Michael Bisping read news >>

USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie rankings, Nov. 7: GSP back on the pound-for-pound list

After four years away from the competition, Georges St-Pierre is once again a UFC champion.Filed under: Bellator, MMA Rankings, News, PFL, UFC read news >>

UFC 217 Talking Points: GSP the GOAT, Dillashaw & Namajunas become champs

Georges St-Pierre cemented his legacy as the GOAT, TJ Dillashaw's composure earned him his title back and Rose Namajunas learned how to be a champ. All this and more in UFC 217's Talking Points. read news >>

Robert Follis, Head Coach at Xtreme Couture, Parts Ways with Gym

Fighters and their fights rightfully dominate the MMA news cycle. It's not often their coaches make headlines unless they're being interviewed during fight week about the game plan for one of their f read news >>

Trio of fights added to UFC Fight Night 124 in St. Louis

The fight card for the UFC’s debut event in St. Louis has three new additions.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 120 Preview: 3 Can't-Miss Fights from Norfolk Fight Card

Hungover from UFC 217? Eat a greasy hamburger, drink a sports beverage, hit the sauna and get your head back in the game. UFC Fight Night 120 happens Saturday, and the company's first event to Norfol read news >>

Diego Sanchez rejuvenated at welterweight, ready for resurgence at UFC-Norfolk

After years of unhappiness with a tough weight cut to get to lightweight, Diego Sanchez is ready to revive his career at welterweight.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Original Ultimate Fighter Diego Sanchez on Bulimia, Con Men, Brain Injuries

Albuquerque, New Mexico — At the top of the Hill of Tears, the first Ultimate Fighter raised his hands in victory. A group of the top mixed martial artists in the world, athletes with nicknames like read news >>

Commission Rep Says Conor McGregor Assaulted Referee, is in Talks With UFC Officials

The commission representative overseeing Bellator 187 on Friday classified Conor McGregor's actions as "assault," and is in talks with the UFC. read news >>