#UFC Fight Night 83 #Saturday Night Fights #Luke Rockhold #David Branch #DWTNCS #GGG #Conor McGregor #UFC 215 #Nate Diaz #Michael Bisping

Even when Andrei Arlovski was the UFC heavyweight champion and ranked as one of the top heavyweights in the world, Devin Cole believed he could defeat him.

“I always thought that my style would be great with his style,” Cole told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show on Monday. “He likes to stay on the outside, where I go forward and smother people. I thought my style would have competed with him when he was UFC champ. I always thought that I could beat him and now I get this chance.”

The chance comes Saturday when Cole and Arlovski meet in the main event of the inaugural World Series of Fighting. The bout will be Cole’s first this year, though briefly he thought he’d be replacing Ben Rothwell in an August matchup against Travis Browne at UFC on Fox 4. UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta nixed that possibility, according to Cole.

“I was literally signing the bout agreement when I got the call,” Cole said. “For some reason Lorenzo didn’t want me. Joe Silva approved it. Dana White approved it. Fox approved it. I was going to fight Travis Browne. I think it was like eight days’ notice or something like that. I was literally signing the bout agreement when I got the phone call that Lorenzo for some reason didn’t want me, but everything happens for a reason. If I would have signed that contract, who knows. Now I’m here with the World Series of Fighting and I’m really happy about that.”

Cole has said previously that a 2008 arrest was what kept him out of the Octagon. Fair or not, he considered a career change this summer after his shot in the UFC fell through.

“I was definitely bummed,” he said. “That was the pinnacle -- what I thought was the pinnacle of my career and everything I’d worked for up to that point. Everybody wants to be in the UFC. That’s the goal everybody works for, and I thought I’d finally made it. I was pretty bummed.”

Cole was in the process of exploring his options outside of MMA when he got the call to fight Arlovski. For a fighter who was considering an exit from the sport, a headlining spot against a former UFC champ is a huge opportunity. Cole plans to make the most of it.

“Really, it was like, ‘Wow. Here it comes,’” Cole said. “He’s obviously the biggest name I’ve fought. I fought [Daniel] Cormier, but Cormier wasn’t the name that he is now. Definitely, fighting an ex-UFC champ, I think it’s going to be great for my career.

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 59:18).

Galleries

Andrei Arlovski Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Alistair Overeem Would Say Yes If Asked to Fight Francis Ngannou | MMAWeekly.com

No. 1 ranked UFC heavyweight Alistair Overeem is willing to risk his spot to fight lower-ranked Francis Ngannou. read news >>

Alexander Volkov Stops Stefan Struve (UFC Rotterdam Results) | MMAWeekly.com

A pair of top ten ranked heavyweights headlined UFC Fight Night 115 in Rotterdam, Netherlands on Saturday. Alexander Volkov extended his winning streak to five consecutive fights by finishing Stefan read news >>

Jeremy Stephens Dominates Gilbert Melendez (UFC 215 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

No. 8 ranked featherweight Jeremy Stephens kicked off the UFC 215 main card with a dominating performance against former lightweight title challenger Gilbert Melendez. Stephens' leg kicks were the st read news >>

Sergio Pettis Wants Henry Cejudo at UFC 218 in Detroit | MMAWeekly.com

Sergio Pettis has some unfinished business with Henry Cejudo. The two top ranked flyweight contenders were originally scheduled to meet at UFC 211 in May but Cejudo suffered a hand injury during figh read news >>

UFC Pittsburgh: Luke Rockhold vs. David Branch Main Event Preview | MMAWeekly.com

Preview the main event matchup between No. 3 ranked middleweight Luke Rockhold and No. 9 ranked David Branch this Saturday at UFC Pittsburgh. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 116 Results: Matches to Make for the Winners and Losers

UFC returned to Pittsburgh for another Fight Night event Saturday. In the main event, Luke Rockhold defeated David Branch to cement his status as one of the best middleweights in the world. However, read news >>

Anthony Pettis vs. Dustin Poirier Headlines UFC Fight Night 120 | MMAWeekly.com

Former lightweight champion Anthony "Showtime" Pettis faces No. 8 ranked Dustin Poirier in the UFC Fight Night 120 main event on November 11. UFC officials announced the headlining bout for the Norfo read news >>

John Dodson Faces Marlon Moraes at UFC Fight Night 120 | MMAWeekly.com

A pair of top 10 ranked bantamweights will meet at UFC Fight Night 120 on November 11. No. 8 ranked John Dodson and No. 10 ranked Marlon Moraes will square off inside the octagon. UFC officials annou read news >>

Dustin Poirier vs. Anthony Pettis Announced as UFC Virginia Headliner | MMAWeekly.com

Though it has been expected for quite some time, Dustin Poirier vs. Anthony Pettis on Wednesday was officially named the UFC Fight Night 120 main event. read news >>

Warlley Alves vs. Jim Wallhead added to UFC Fight Night 118 in Poland

The lineup for the UFC’s return to Poland continues to fill out, and a welterweight matchup with two fighters in dire need of a win is the latest addition.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>