miguel-torres-15.jpgBantamweight Miguel Torres‘ recent bust for marijuana possession hasn’t deterred his promoter’s plans for his career.

World Series of Fighting President Ray Sefo told MMAjunkie.com that Torres (40-6) will still fight Tyson Nam (12-5) “if they both want it to happen.”

Sefo discussed the plans today’s media call in advance of Friday’s WSOF 5 event in Atlantic City, N.J.

“As far as I know, Tyson definitely wants that fight,” Sefo ssaid. “So that’s a good fight. We all make mistakes, and Miguel has obviously run into a situation, and we’ll support him. He’s still fighting for World Series of Fighting.”

Torres is due in court in October to answer for a misdemeanor charge of marijuana possession, according to a rep with his management company, Authentic Sports Management. The Marshall County (Ind.) Sheriff’s Department arrest him this past month, and on the same day, Torres posted a $1,500 bond.

If convicted, the former WEC champ faces one year in prison and a maximum fine of $5,000.

Torres and Nam were on course to fight earlier this year after both were upset by hot up-and-comer Marlon Moraes. But the arrest shelved the match for WSOF 4, which took place this past month.

Nam’s trainer expressed frustration at the delay, which mirrored the fighter’s limbo following a contractual dispute with Bellator that led him to the upstart WSOF.

“We just want to fight,” said Phil Claud at Portland, Ore.’s Sports Lab. “One of the reasons we went with WSOF over Bellator was they promised to keep us active, and here we are back with long periods of inactivity. Whether it’s Tyson or any other Sports lab fighter, we just want to stay active.”

Nam most recently fought in March at WSOF 2, where he lost a decision to Moraes. The setback snapped a five-fight winning streak that culminated with a knockout of Bellator bantamweight champion Eduardo Dantas.

Torres made his WSOF debut this past November at the promotion’s first event and lost a split decision to Moraes, which brought him back-to-back losses for the first time since he lost his WEC title in 2009.

For more on WSOF’s upcoming schedule, check out the MMA Rumors section of the site.

(Pictured: Miguel Torres)

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Shannon Knapp Recaps Invicta FC 21, Reveals New Invicta Ventures for 2017 | MMAWeekly.com

  • 28 days ago
  • 19 views

Invicta FC president Shannon Knapp recaps the promotion's recent event, and reveals new ventures for Invicta in boxing and grappling. read news >>

'Big' John McCarthy Weighs In On Medical Marijuana | MMAWeekly.com

  • 27 days ago
  • 161 views

Legendary referee "Big" John McCarthy talks about medical marijuana, it benefits, and potential impact on the sport of mixed martial arts. read news >>

UFC on FOX 23's Jason Knight plans Caceres KO, new contract and callout of 'The Korean Superboy'

  • 26 days ago
  • 6 views

LAKEWOOD, Colo. – Don’t accuse Jason Knight for being one of those UFC fighters who doesn’t think ahead each time he enters and exits the octagon.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Jarod Trice Plans to Test Kevin Woltkamp's Chin at Bellator 171 | MMAWeekly.com

  • 24 days ago
  • 5 views

After fighting his debut at 205 pounds, Jarod Trice (1-0) steps up to heavyweight in a preliminary card bout at Bellator 171 against Kevin Woltkamp (1-2). read news >>

CM Punk Plans to Fight Again Whether It's in the UFC or Elsewhere | MMAWeekly.com

  • 21 days ago
  • 10 views

Despite losing in his UFC debut, CM Punk is determined to fight again whether it's in the UFC or not. read news >>

Citing brain scan abnormality, UFC women's strawweight Aisling Daly announces retirement

  • 21 days ago
  • 15 views

Citing an abnormality that showed up on a recent brain scan, UFC women’s strawweight Aisling Daly today announced her retirement from MMA. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Issues Statement Addressing Controversial Travel Ban Executive Order | MMAWeekly.com

  • 20 days ago
  • 204 views

The UFC issued a statement addressing U.S. President Trump's recent executive order instituting a travel ban. read news >>

Demian Maia addresses Jorge Masvidal situation, explains why it's still UFC title shot or bust

  • 17 days ago
  • 24 views

On a lengthy Facebook post, contender Demian Maia addressed Jorge Masvidal’s comments and again made his case as to why he deserves to be the next title challenger for the UFC welterweight belt.Filed read news >>

Why WSOF fighter Jake Shields stepped between a mob and a Trump supporter

  • 17 days ago
  • 1241 views

WSOF welterweight Jake Shields said he couldn’t stand by as masked men beat a Donald Trump supporter during Wednesday’s protests at the University of California, Berkeley.Filed under: Featured, News, read news >>

WSOF 35 set for New York, adds two more championship matchups with Palmer vs. Harrison, Magomedov vs. Valiev

  • 17 days ago
  • 2 views

WSOF 35, previously announced for March 18, now hosts three championship fights and finally boasts an official location.Filed under: News, WSOF read news >>