#UFC 216 #Conor McGregor #Nick Diaz #Rizin 7 #Tony Ferguson #Nate Diaz #GSP #Quinton Jackson #Kevin Lee #Michael Bisping

Last week, Ronda Rousey was introduced by Dana White as the first female UFC champion.

The opponent for Rousey’s debut at UFC 157 is Liz Carmouche, but the fight fans really want to see pits the bantamweight champion against Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos. In an interview with Sherdog.com, Santos confirmed that negotiations stalled due to issues with a demanding weight cut for the former Strikeforce champion.

"It was too little time to cut that much weight. I'm heavy, I always was. When I started fighting I weighed 154 pounds, and now I'm about 160 pounds without fighting. Dana already said he will just have the bantamweight division for now. I understand, there are not that many fighters in my division (145 pounds). So I'll make the effort to cut down. Who does not want to fight in the UFC?" she said.

Rousey was aware of the problems facing the Brazilian, but “Rowdy” did not spare her at last Thursday’s UFC on Fox 5 press conference, hinting again that “Cyborg” was afraid to fight her. Santos says the highly-anticipated duel is only postponed.

"She keeps saying that I'm running, but (anyone) who knows me knows that I never run from anyone. If it was up to 145 pounds, I would fight tomorrow. But it's not that way, and to cut down to 135 pounds I have to follow a plan just right. It's better for me to fight at bantamweight because the division has more fighters,” she said. “I'm looking for the right diet, the best way to lose that weight. I'll make that fight with Ronda happen. I'll give my best."

Like many of her female counterparts, Santos is thrilled that women will finally be allowed to compete in the UFC.

"It shows the state of female MMA today. It's time to take off. More fighters will now appear, even in my division," she said.

*Alan Oliveira contributed to this report

Galleries

Ronda Rousey Fights

• a year ago

Cris Cyborg Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk hopes to break Ronda Rousey's record – 125 then possible

Although her focus is on UFC 217 opponent Rose Namajunas, champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk is still considering a move up to flyweight.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Dana White Responds to Reports of Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz 3 at UFC 219 | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor may very well be plotting his return to the Octagon but reports that he's agreed to meet Nate Diaz at UFC 219 on Dec. 30 are premature. Several outlets began reporting over the weekend read news >>

Ronda Rousey's Trainer Says There's a '50-50' Chance She Fights in UFC Again

Ronda Rousey's trainer, Edmond Tarverdyan, told the MMA Hour on Monday that he believes the UFC superstar may fight again, giving her a 50-50 chance to return to the Octagon. "It's going to be her de read news >>

UFC Issues Statement on Fabricio Werdum Regarding His Use of Homophobic Slurs | MMAWeekly.com

The UFC has reacted following Werdum's outburst earlier this week read news >>

Tony Ferguson Surprises Kevin Lee and Dana White During UFC 216 Face-Offs (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out the UFC 216 Ultimate Media Day face-offs where UFC president Dana White was on guard, even though Tony Ferguson snuck it a little surprise. read news >>

Dana White clowns anyone who thinks Gokhan Saki's UFC debut win was stopped early

Some folks complained about the stoppage in Gokhan Saki’s first-round KO at UFC Fight Night 117. UFC President Dana White was not one of them.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Ronda Rousey Produced Documentary Series 'Why We Fight' Picked Up by Verizon Go90 | MMAWeekly.com

Former UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey continued to push into new avenues outside the cage with her latest project getting picked up by Verizon's Go90 free video service. The documenta read news >>

Dana White Says UFC 216 Tickets Will Be Free for 1st Responders

The UFC is offering free tickets to Saturday's UFC 216 event in Las Vegas to first responders from last week's mass shooting in the city. UFC President Dana White told ESPN's Brett Okamoto about the read news >>

Dana White on Not Cancelling UFC 216: 'You Don't Back Down From Cowards!' (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

For UFC Dana White, not canceling UFC 216 was a very important move, not for his company, but for his city. read news >>

Dana White Comments on Las Vegas Shooting Ahead of UFC 216

Prior to the start of Saturday's UFC 216 event at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, UFC President Dana White shared a video message about the mass shooting in the city on Oct. 1. Sports Illustrated's read news >>