#UFC 217 #UFC Fight Night 55 #GSP #Michael Bisping #Conor McGregor

Tito Ortiz

Tito Ortiz

UFC president Dana White said before the fight even happened that Saturday night’s bout against Rashad Evans at UFC 133 in Philadelphia would not be a win-or-go-home fight for Tito Ortiz.

The former UFC light heavyweight champion agreed to the fight on just three weeks notice, facing the current number one contender to the 205-pound throne. He didn’t win, but the fight garnered Evans and Ortiz $70,000 each for Fight of the Night honors.

White’s not bestowing such honors on a fighter he’s ready to give the boot.

“I can’t say enough good things about how good Rashad looked tonight and Tito fought an awesome fight, worthy of Fight of the Night,” commented the brash promoter.

So when questions started flying about whether or not Ortiz would call it a day, The fighter was emphatic in his response, making no excuses for the loss to Evans.

“I came here and gave it my all. I got nothing to hold back. Rashad beat me at my best. Rashad is the better man,” Ortiz said in the Octagon, adding, “100 percent, I’ll be back.”

He won’t be back quite as quickly as his last turn, however. Ortiz defeated Ryan Bader at UFC 132 on July 2, just before accepting Saturday night’s fight.

“I want to fight before the year is over, for sure,” he said at the UFC 133 post-fight press conference. “I’m gonna take about a month off, go on vacation, enjoy my family, enjoy my businesses, get right back in the gym, and hop on that horse again.”

Many had thought that because of his age, Ortiz was in a fight-by-fight situation when deciding whether or not to continue his career. He doesn’t appear to be looking at it that way.

Injury free for the first time in a long, even though he lost to Evans, Ortiz has relished fighting without the nagging issues that had plagued him for years. He’s not ready to let his age, 36 years old, dictate his career now that he feels like a much younger man that he did just two short years ago.

“I been here since ’97. I’m still fighting. I’m still hungry. I still want to fight. I fought a number one contender tonight. I fought my ass off. Rashad was the better man tonight,” Ortiz stated.

“I’m young still. I just turned 36. I still got a lot of fight left in me.”

Got something to say? Weigh in with a thought of your own in the comments section below.

Ken Pishna is the managing editor of MMAWeekly.com.
@KenPishna on Twitter or e-mail Ken a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Comments

New York Commission Adopts Instant Replay Ahead of UFC 217 | MMAWeekly.com

The referees calling fights at UFC 217 in New York next month will have the added advantage of instant replay. The New York State Athletic Commission adopted new rules just recently to allow the in-r read news >>

Michael Bisping Replaces Anderson Silva at UFC Shanghai After Failed Drug Test

Michael Bisping suffered one of the toughest losses of his UFC career at UFC 217, dropping the middleweight championship to Georges St-Pierre after getting choked out cold. So how is the Brit recover read news >>

Matt Brown Reflects on Career Heading Into Final UFC Fight | MMAWeekly.com

Matt "The Immortal" Brown reflects on an unforgettable UFC career before making his final walk to the Octagon to take on veteran Diego Sanchez this Saturday. read news >>

How will Paul Felder stay unbiased calling teammate Anthony Pettis at UFC-Norfolk? Let him explain

Paul Felder discusses the challenge of doing commentary for teammate Anthony Pettis, who meets Dustin Poirier in UFC Fight Night 120’s main event.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 120 results: Karl Roberson stays perfect, taps out Darren Stewart

Undefeated middleweight prospect Karl Roberson kept his perfect career record intact, debuting in the UFC with a first-round win over Darren Stewart.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Michael Bisping Replaces Anderson Silva at UFC Shanghai After Failed Drug Test

Francis Ngannou's motivation goes deeper than MMA ahead of UFC 218 fight vs. Alistair Overeem

• a day ago

The biggest fight of Francis Ngannou’s young career is right around the corner against Alistair Overeem at UFC 218.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Sage Northcutt focused solely on UFC career with college no longer holding him back

21-year-old Sage Northcutt is ready to get serious about MMA with a little help from Team Alpha Male as he moves past UFC-Norfolk.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Raphael Assuncao not one for 'fancy stuff,' but thinks consistency warrants UFC title shot

Raphael Assuncao turned his UFC Fight Night 120 win into a statement, knocking Matthew Lopez out cold in the third round of their 135-pound encounter. In what’s becoming a bit of a tradition, he then read news >>

Marlon Moraes calls illegal blows at UFC-Norfolk 'friggin' accident,' wants Jimmie Rivera at UFC 219

Marlon Moraes wants a date with Jimmie Rivera at UFC 219 on Dec. 30 after beating John Dodson at UFC Fight Night 120.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>