#UFC Fight Night 83 #Saturday Night Fights #Luke Rockhold #GGG #David Branch #Phoenix Fight Night #Vengeance Fighting Alliance #Duelo De Giagantes

Quinton “Rampage” Jackson has often said that he planned on being finished fighting by the time he is 35 years old. Many fans and pundits thought he might be done as soon as his UFC 144 bout with Ryan Bader was over.

The latter surely isn’t happening, and the former is in doubt now as well.

Despite a serious knee injury that hampered his training for and his performance against Bader, following the fight, Rampage sounded as if he had found the fountain of youth to his career.

“I know I’m getting to the end of my career cause I said I don’t want to fight past 35, but honestly, before I hurt my knee, you guys should have seen how I was training. I was looking like a superstar, then I hurt my knee,” he commented at the UFC 144 post-fight press conference.

“Now I know what I can do if I come in at 100 percent. I think I got a lot of years and I’m ready to put on more shows,” he continued.

“I heal up fast; I’m like a werewolf. I wasn’t even supposed to fight here. I heal up really fast. I’ll be back soon.”

With that, Rampage declared that not only is he not done fighting, it sounds like he might be willing to grant himself an extension beyond the 35-years-old deadline he set.

Rampage has a long history fighting in Japan, being one of the mainstays of the Pride organization for a number of years. He has another, more personal, connection as well.

“My kids are from Japan; my kids’ grandparents are from there,” he said in the lead-up to the fight. So a knee injury wasn’t going to stop him. It hindered him, but it didn’t stop him.

“I’m not surprised that I lost the fight,” Rampage revealed. “I tried to keep it secret. I injured my knee pretty bad and my doctor told me not to fight. I didn’t need surgery or nothing, but he just told me it wasn’t a good idea to fight.”

He never offered the injury up as an excuse. Rampage is a fighter, that’s what he does, and he’s always seen fighting through the injuries as part of the job.

This time, it may or may not have cost him the fight. It surely didn’t help matters against a former Ultimate Fighter winner that has been making waves in the UFC light heavyweight division.

But Rampage the fighter is born of the Japanese fight culture. And in the Japanese fight culture, a fighter is often revered as much for his heart in trying to overcome the odds, or perhaps even more so, than for actually winning the fight.

“I just wanted to put on an exciting fight. I’m just happy to make it here and try to put on a show for the Japanese fans.”

Follow @KenPishna on Twitter or e-mail Ken Pishna.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Comments

Nick Hein out at UFC-Rotterdam, promotion seeks featherweight foe for Zabit Magomedsharipov

Injury has forced German fighter Nick Hein out of next week’s UFC Fight Night 115 event in Rotterdam, and company officials are currently seeking a replacement opponent for Zabit Magomedsharipov.File read news >>

McGregor vs. Mayweather: Fight Date, Odds and Undercard Info

After months of hype, the date that fight fans have been waiting for is nearly upon us. Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather Jr. will finally turn barroom debates and Twitter arguments into an actual read news >>

Conor McGregor and His Nutritionist Dispel Floyd Mayweather's Concerns Over Missing Weight | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor and his nutritionist promise that Floyd Mayweather's concerns about the UFC lightweight champion missing weight are not only unfounded but down right silly. Over the past few days, May read news >>

Faced with thorny ethics of buying a Floyd Mayweather fight, some fans try to 'balance the scales'

Paying nearly $100 for “The Money Fight” means giving money to a serial domestic abuser, which has some fans fighting back with charity.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Mayweather vs. McGregor Fight Time: PPV Coverage Guide to Anticipated Bout

The moment fight fans around the world have been waiting for is just one day away. Conor McGregor will make his professional boxing debut against Floyd Mayweather Jr., one of the greatest boxers in t read news >>

Conor McGregor fans take over 'Money Fight' weigh-ins before, during and after

The scene following the weigh-ins on Friday night at T-Mobile Arena turned into bedlam.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Who do fans pick between Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor?

Tired of the so-called experts weighing-in on Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor? Here are some fan predictions.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, UFC, Videos read news >>

Mayweather vs. McGregor: How a Ringside Doctor Might Save Conor from Injury

Combat athletes are not like the average person. They're millionaires—sometimes billionaires—who spend their prizefighting days in racing clock and calendar to make as much money as they can before b read news >>

Fans outraged as Mayweather-McGregor demand causes PPV providers, UFC Fight Pass to crash

Things got off to a rocky start for many people wanting to watch “The Money Fight.”Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Conor McGregor Says He Will Return to UFC After TKO Loss to Floyd Mayweather

UFC fans rejoice: Conor McGregor is apparently coming back to your sport. Floyd Mayweather Jr. handed McGregor a defeat via technical knockout Saturday in Las Vegas in the latter's first professional read news >>