brock-lesnar-alistair-overeem-ufc-141It appears former heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar‘s potential return to the UFC has gone from a “you never know” to a simple “no.”

Just a few weeks ago, UFC President Dana White said the WWE star’s return to the UFC was “definitely a possibility.” These days, though? Not so much.

The topic that never dies got a new life at Saturday’s UFC 169 event, where main-card winner Alistair Overeem called out Lesnar. After a three-round beatdown of Frank Mir (16-9 MMA, 14-9 UFC) in a featured bout (watch the Overeem vs. Mir highlights), Overeem (37-13 MMA, 2-2 UFC) directed his post-fight interview at Lesnar, whom he beat via TKO in late 2011 at UFC 141.

Overeem apparently had heard White’s recent comments about Lesnar’s potential return, and he campaigned for the rematch.

“I heard word that Brock Lesnar is coming back to the UFC,” Overeem said after Saturday’s victory, which aired on pay-per-view from Newark, N.J.’s Prudential Center. “Well, I’ll be here waiting for him.”

However, in the post-fight news conference, White dismissed the possibility of both the fight and a potential Lesnar return.

“Brock Lesnar is not coming back,” he said. “Brock Lesnar is not fighting. I mean, does he want to come back? We’ve talked about him wanting to come back, and he feels like he wasn’t 100 percent while he was here. He feels like he sold himself a little short and all the stuff I’ve told you before.

“But no, he’s not. We have not deal with Brock Lesnar. He’s not coming back anytime soon.”

After battling a life-threatening bout of diverticulitis, Lesnar, who held the UFC title from 2008 to 2010, returned from a lengthy layoff to fight Overeem in late 2011. But after the defeat, which followed a title loss to Cain Velasquez 14 months prior, Lesnar announced his retirement and ultimately returned to the pro-wrestling circuit with the WWE.

Although the 36-year-old’s best days may be behind him, Lesnar was one of the UFC’s biggest PPV draws during his impressive run and reportedly helped the organization crack the million-buyrate threshold on four occasions in just seven UFC fights.

However, with Lesnar apparently out of the mix and Overeem halting a two-fight skid, what’s next for the hard-hitting Dutchman?

“Every fight in the UFC is interesting to me,” he said. “On that note, for now, it’s holiday time. Then we’re going to sit together with the team, and then we’re going to figure out the next steps.”

For complete coverage of UFC 169, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Brock Lesnar Informs UFC of Retirement from MMA, Removed from Drug Testing Pool

  • 5 days ago
  • 4 views

Brock Lesnar's mixed martial arts career appears to be over. A UFC spokesperson on Tuesday told MMA Fighting's Marc Raimondi the former UFC heavyweight champion informed the company of his retirement read news >>

Conor McGregor Talks Potential WWE WrestleMania 33 Appearance

  • 22 days ago
  • 4 views

UFC superstar Conor McGregor confirmed Saturday he was in talks with the WWE about appearing at WrestleMania 33 on April 2 in Orlando, Florida. "Never say never. I know there's been conversations," M read news >>

Already removed from UFC Fight Night 104, Justin Ledet notified of potential USADA anti-doping violation

  • 18 days ago
  • 7 views

Justin Ledet already had been removed from the promotion’s official lineup for this week’s UFC Fight Night 104 card. Now we may know the reason why. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC on FOX 23's Francis Ngannou adds Cain Velasquez to hit list with Alistair Overeem, Junior Dos Santos

  • 22 days ago
  • 15 views

DENVER – After knocking out former UFC heavyweight champ Andrei Arlovski, Francis Ngannou listed Alistair Overeem and ex-champ Junior Dos Santos as two fighters he’d like to face next. Filed under: F read news >>

Georges St-Pierre Should Be Returning to the UFC Soon | FIGHTLAND

  • 5 days ago
  • 0 views

Photos by Jason Silva-USA TODAY Sports? / Laitr Keiows?-Wikimedia Commons You have to feel for WME|IMG. Back in July the mega talent agency purchased the UFC for a whopping $4 billion, confident of t read news >>

UFC Statement on Ricardo Abreu

  • 19 days ago
  • 0 views

The UFC organization was formally notified today that the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency has informed Ricardo Abreu of a potential Anti-Doping Policy violation stemming from an out-of-competition sample col read news >>

You can guess why UFC 209's Alistair Overeem is rooting for Junior Dos Santos at UFC 211

  • 11 days ago
  • 10 views

UFC heavyweight Alistair Overeem got within striking distance of the title before champ Stipe Miocic knocked him out at UFC 203. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

George Sullivan notified of potential USADA anti-doping violation, out of UFC 208 fight with Randy Brown

  • 25 days ago
  • 8 views

George Sullivan already is under suspension from the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA). Now he may be facing further sanctions. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Is the UFC's women's bantamweight division set for a return to nicer, bleaker days?

  • 22 days ago
  • 7 views

The next UFC women’s bantamweight title fight appears to be set, but as champion Amanda Nunes faced off with Valentina Shevchenko after UFC on FOX 23, one didn’t get the sense that we were looking at read news >>

Valentina Shevchenko or 145 next? UFC champ Amanda Nunes lays out her game plan

  • 16 days ago
  • 24 views

HOUSTON – UFC women’s bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes appears to have backed away from a plan to immediately challenge for the soon-to-be-realized featherweight belt. Filed under: Featured, Featur read news >>