Legacy FC 13 PosterConsidering how far he’s come in just a couple years, you’d never have guessed that top Texas heavyweight prospect Derrick Lewis had virtually no background in combat sports prior to getting involved in MMA.

“I don’t even know that guy,” says Lewis, looking back on his early fights. “It was so embarrassing to watch. Even the fights that I won, I could have lost those fights because I didn’t know as much technique as I know right now.

“(Without) some submissions or a couple combos I know right now, I could have lost at least half of those fights that I won.”

Lewis, in particular, feels his ground game has improved since he started fighting two years ago.

“If I get taken down, I get right back up,” he said. “I’m not letting my opponent lay and pray on me.”

Lewis’ developing ground game could be a big determining factor in his upcoming fight, as he headlines Legacy FC 13 in Dallas on Friday night, live on AXS TV, against Jared Rosholt.

“Since my loss to Tony Johnson this is a pretty good (opportunity) to see if I’ve improved or not on my takedown defense and how I can handle a wrestler with the background (Rosholt) has,” said Lewis.

“I feel like he’d be a fool to try to stand up with me. If he tries to stand up with me, he’s crazy; so I’m prepared for him to try to take me down.”

While a win on a nationally televised live event would be huge for Lewis’ career, there’s more on the line than just money or glory; he’s fighting for something far more important to his personal life.

“This will be the last chance for my grandpa to be in attendance (at one of my fights),” said Lewis.

“I was going to (Kilgore) College before I got locked up in prison and all of that, and he was coming to all my (football) games and I feel like I let him down by getting into trouble. And now he has cancer, and the doctors say he probably won’t make it this year, so I feel I owe this to him right here and let him know he can still be proud of me.”

Lewis continued, “That’s why I feel like with this fight being on TV and all of that, I’m not even worried about it.”

With a chance to take a big step forward in his career, and with so much riding on the line to him personally, Lewis feels Friday night’s fight is going to be explosive and fans shouldn’t miss his bout with Rosholt at Legacy FC 13.

“It’s going to be exciting; win, lose or draw,” he said. “I’m going to give it my all, like it’s my last fight ever, like my life is on the line. I’m going to give it my all.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for more on Legacy FC 13 and other MMA News.

Video: Before UFC Fight Night 105 main event, watch Derrick Lewis' KO win over Gabriel Gonzaga

Back in April at UFC Fight Night 86, Derrick Lewis was coming off back-to-back wins when he knocked out Gabriel Gonzaga in the first round.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Watch Derrick Lewis Knock Gabriel Gonzaga Out (UFC Halifax Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Derrick Lewis stepped in on short notice and scored an impressive victory over former UFC heavyweight title challenger Gabriel Gonzaga. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 105 pre-event facts: It's Derrick Lewis, the UFC's most active heavyweight

The UFC makes its 23rd trip to Canada with a special Sunday night showcase when UFC Fight Night 105 takes place at Scotiabank Centre in Halifax. Check out 45 pre-event facts.Filed under: Featured, Ne read news >>

Derrick Lewis not backing down from comments on UFC Fight Night 105 opponent Travis Browne

HALIFAX — Derrick Lewis has made it clear he’s not a fan of what Travis Browne represents outside of the octagon. However, Lewis said Sunday’s UFC Fight Night 105 showdown with “Hapa” is far from per read news >>

Finish or not, Lewis just wants a victory

Derrick Lewis has been known for electric finishes and wanting to put on a show for the fans. On Sunday in the main event at Fight Night Halifax, Lewis knows what he really needs is a victory over Tr read news >>

Reasons to Watch Fight Night Halifax on Sunday

Derrick Lewis and Travis Browne each vying to insert their names into title conversation, Hendricks makes middleweight debut, Esparza returns and more Reasons to Watch Fight Night Halifax. read news >>

Travis Browne: 'Ignorant' Derrick Lewis will be 'held accountable' at UFC Fight Night 105

HALIFAX – Travis Browne plans to put a halt to Derrick Lewis’ growing momentum as a future UFC heavyweight contender at UFC Fight Night 105.Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Who ya got?!? Fellow fighters like Travis Browne's chances against Derrick Lewis in Halifax

HALIFAX – At the sports books, it’s a toss-up. Among fans, Derrick Lewis is the popular choice. But with fellow fighters? Among his peers, Travis Browne is getting plenty of support ahead of Sunday’s read news >>

10 reasons to watch UFC Fight Night 105, with Derrick Lewis and Johny Hendricks in key bouts

The UFC is in one of those funky periods when the majority of its fight cards lack the type of name fighters that bring the casual fans out of the woodwork, but Sunday’s UFC Fight Night 105 event is read news >>

Derrick Lewis: 'It Only Takes One Punch' (UFC Halifax Video) | MMAWeekly.com

All it takes is one punch from Derrick Lewis or Travis Browne to end your night. They meet in the main event at UFC Fight Night Halifax on Saturday. read news >>