#UFC on Fox 29 #Dustin Poirier #Justin Gaethje #Conor McGregor #Khabib Nurmagomedov #Jon Jones #Alexander Gustafsson #Daniel Cormier #Nate Diaz #Israel Adesanya #UFC New York #Stipe Miocic #Marvin Vettori #Edson Barboza #UFC 217

Derek Brunson addresses 'dumbest statement' made in MMA, says he's done talking about Anderson Silva

After his UFC 208 co-headliner against former middleweight champion Anderson Silva, Derek Brunson didn’t waste any time voicing his disappointment with the 29-28, 29-28 and 30-27 scorecards in his opponent’s favor.

Now, according to a new statement, he’s done talking about the subject. But first, Brunson (16-5 MMA, 7-3 UFC) had a message to those who think he should just “move on” from the controversial call that added a second loss to his skid and got Silva (34-8 MMA, 17-4 UFC) back in the winner’s column for the first time since 2012.

“Leave your house unlocked and let someone come in and take whatever they want,” Brunson wrote. “Don’t file a police report, move on cause it happened. Don’t be a poor sport, people get robbed all the time. One more let your wife or gf have an affair, suck it up the same day cry baby it happens, stop bringing it up move it. I think you got my point by now.”

The heavily debated middleweight bout co-headlined Saturday’s UFC 208 event at Barclays Center in Brooklyn N.Y., and it aired on pay-per-view following prelims on FS1 and UFC Fight Pass.

Brunson, whose title hopes could have taken a major step forward with a win over Silva, then penned a round-by-round breakdown of the scrap he’s now watched twice. He said he only saw how the second one could possibly be given to the ex-champ. He also explained the reasons behind his cautious approach toward the former longtime champion.

“He’s a high level striker, I did not fight scared or showed him too much respect,” Brunson wrote. “I’ve sparred and trained with top kick boxers and Jon Jones (former UFC light heavyweight champ) for years who’s the best fighter currently. But Anderson’s counter striking is better than all. So I had to be patient otherwise he finishes you like others in the past.”

Before putting the subject to rest, Brunson, who’s currently No. 9 in the latest USA Today Sports/MMAjunkie MMA middleweight rankings, responded with a “lol” to the popular “Never leave it to the judges” line that tends to follow unsatisfactory decisions in MMA.

“That’s what judges are for,” Brunson said. “Otherwise make it a fight to finish or someone quits. Dumbest statement ever. 19 of 23 media outlets had me winning. Including Dana (White, UFC president) who said it on an interview Fox Sports after the fight Ariel Helwani, Damon and (Daniel) Cormier along with 85% of others. I clearly won 29-28, some may say 30-27 but for sure 29-28.

“I lost a win, money and a career defining win over a legend who I would’ve been honored to have. Don’t ask me anymore about the fight I’m done talking about it. On to the next!”

Check out Brunson’s full post (via Facebook):

“UFC 208 in summary (probably a good read):

To those who say move on. Leave your house unlocked and let someone come in and take whatever they want. Don’t file a police report, move on cause it happened. Don’t be a poor sport, people get robbed all the time. One more let your wife or gf have an affair, suck it up the same day cry baby it happens, stop bringing it up move it. I think you got my point by now. Fighting Anderson Silva was a signature and career defining moment that was stolen from me. I watched the fight twice today with a group of people. We scored the fight giving myself only the solid strikes I landed. We gave Anderson the strikes landed and the punches it look like he landed.

Round 1: I landed 39 kicks and punches to Anderson 8. We measured each other for 2 minute in the middle of the octagon, the next 2 minutes I threw fakes backing him up and had him against the cage where I dirty boxed. He then came forward the last 45 secs trying a flying knee in which I blocked and he landed on his back and I was on top of him getting off 2 punches. Clear round for me.

Round 2: I landed 16 he landed 16 but I had a takedown. Only round I could see going to Anderson

Round 3: I was the early aggressor landing jab leg kick and straight left uppercut hook when the round started cause I could’ve seen it being 1-1. I landed 31 kicks and punches and got a takedown with 1:30 left. Anderson landed 18 strikes (7 was from his back where they don’t usually count).

In conclusion several say he defended takedowns, you do not get points for defending takedowns or punches. You only get credit for landing. He’s a high level striker, I did not fight scared or showed him too much respect. I’ve sparred and trained with top kick boxers and Jon Jones for years who’s the best fighter currently. But Anderson’s counter striking is better than all. So I had to be patient otherwise he finishes you like others in the past.Never leave to judges lol. That’s what judges are for. Otherwise make it a fight to finish or someone quits. Dumbest statement ever. 19 of 23 media outlets had me winning. Including Dana who said it on an interview Fox Sports after the fight Ariel Helwani, Damon and Cormier along with 85% of others. I clearly won 29-28, some may say 30-27 but for sure 29-28. I lost a win , money and a career defining win over a legend who I would’ve been honored to have. Don’t ask me anymore about the fight I’m done talking about it. On to the next!”
For complete coverage UFC 208, check out the UFC Events section of the site.

(MMAjunkie’s John Morgan contributed to this report on site in Brooklyn.)

Galleries

Anderson Silva Fights

• a year ago
  • 11933 views

Derek Brunson Fights

• 5 months ago

Comments

The 15 worst fouls in MMA history, including Alistair Overeem, Jose Aldo and Anderson Silva

From shots to the cup to knees and kicks to the heads of grounded opponents, fouls are part of MMA. Take a look at the 15 worst in history. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 …15 read news >>

UFC issues statement in wake of Conor McGregor bus attack, says consequences will follow

The UFC has issued a formal statement on the events that took place at a media day today in support of UFC 223. read news >>

New York Commission Issues Statement Admonishing Conor McGregor Melee | MMAWeekly.com

Following Conor McGregor and his team going berserk after the UFC 223 Media Day on Thursday, the New York State Athletic Commission issued a statement admonishing the incident. read news >>

UFC 223 prelims pre-event facts: Karolina Kowalkiewicz in need of statement vs. Felice Herrig

The best facts, figures and footnotes about the UFC 223 prelims, where Karolina Kowalkiewicz meets Felice Herrig in the featured bout. read news >>

Brian Ortega says he accepted Khabib Nurmagomedov fight before Max Holloway did

So here’s an interesting plot twist in the last-minute effort to salvage the UFC 223 main event. read news >>

Dana White Says He Will 'Never' Book Tony Ferguson vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov Again | MMAWeekly.com

Four times scheduled and four times cancelled is enough for Dana White to say he's never going to book Tony Ferguson vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov again read news >>

Who are the 15 most influential women in MMA history?

Women's MMA has come a long way from the days when UFC President Dana White was saying there never would be a female fighter in his promotion. And it's come a long way in a big, big hurry. Now the wo read news >>

8 of the Dirtiest Moments in MMA History

There is a lot to love about mixed martial arts and its history. It's the ultimate battle of wills. Two fighters entering a cage or ring to see who will come out on top. But along with the good com read news >>

Daily Debate (redux): Luke Rockhold overtakes Nick Diaz for whom you want Michael Bisping to fight

We’re still talking about former UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping and his presumed final fight. read news >>

'Biggest name in MMA' Floyd Mayweather says 50-50 chance of cage fight by end of 2018

Are you starting to believe Floyd Mayweather or still think he’s bluffing? read news >>

Ricky Simon says he signed UFC deal after LFA 36 main-event title defense

The UFC’s bantamweight roster appears to have a new addition: LFA champion Ricky Simon. read news >>

Josh Barnett Issues Statement After Arbitrator Rules He is 'Not a Drug Cheat' | MMAWeekly.com

Josh Barnett issued a statement after an independent arbitrator ruled a failed drug test from a year and a half ago was from a contaminated substance, saying that Barnett is not a drug cheat. read news >>

Joe Rogan Rips the Win Bonus System in MMA That is 'Stealing' Money from Fighters | MMAWeekly.com

UFC color commentator Joe Rogan is fed up with fighters losing half their money based on a potentially disastrous decision from a judge. In the UFC and virtually every other mixed martial arts promot read news >>

Daily Debate: Is now the right time for a fighters union in MMA?

The talk about a potential fighters union continues to grow in MMA. Is now the right time? read news >>

UFC's Joe Rogan wants to see 'win money' phased out of MMA payment structure

Joe Rogan believes dividing fighter payment in MMA into “show” money and “win” money is a dated idea which should be removed from the sport. read news >>

How UFC 223's Khabib Nurmagomedov can join Royce Gracie and Anderson Silva in UFC lore

UFC lightweight Khabib Nurmagomedov can join a rare group if he emerges as the winner of April’s UFC 223 main event against Tony Ferguson. read news >>

Search for: