#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Bellator 183 #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Ovince St. Preux #Gokhan Saki #Paul Daley #Lorenz Larkin #Fight Night Pittsburgh #Roy Nelson #Yushin Okami

It wasn’t just quickness that helped Demetrious Johnson dodge Joseph Benavidez’s overhand rights Saturday at UFC 152. He also knew when they were coming before Benavidez actually threw them.

“You could see them coming because Joseph likes to bury his feet and duck his head when he throws,” Johnson told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “When Joseph starts to duck his head a little bit at me, I can tell that he’s about to throw that overhand right. There were a couple of times where I actually stayed in the pocket, and I blocked it just by raising my hand up because it’s such a wild punch. It’s not coming straight down the pike, so you can get away with having your arms wide out. It worked out to my advantage.”

Johnson won the bout via split decision to claim the UFC’s first flyweight championship. Over the course of 25 minutes, he displayed an array of skills, from footwork to striking to wrestling. He was happy with his performance, but believes it could have been better.

“Joseph Benavidez is a tough competitor, and it was exactly what I thought it was going to be,” Johnson said of the fight. “He likes to throw those big haymakers, and when I watched the fight, I thought I did a great job making him miss a whole lot. I wish I could have stayed in the pocket a little more to make him pay for missing. He missed a lot of shots and he got away with just missing.”

Johnson also wished that he’d mixed up his techniques earlier in the fight. He did that well in the third, fourth and fifth rounds, during which he was able to take down Benavidez and keep him guessing on the feet. Benavidez also had his moments, however. In the fourth he caught Johnson with a right hand and grabbed onto a mounted guillotine choke.

“The choke was a good application around my neck, but other than that, I was nowhere near close to going out,” Johnson said. “We trained that a lot at AMC. I mean, for 10 weeks straight. There’s been a couple of times during training camp where I almost bit through my lip because guys were trying to crank on it. ... It was nowhere near close.”

It likely helped Benavidez earn a 48-47 scorecard from judge Richard Bertrand, though. Meanwhile Jeff Blatnick (48-47) and Doug Crosby (49-46) favored Johnson, who said he could understand Benavidez winning two of the five rounds but was surprised that the decision was split.

“You can never be 110-percent confident when it goes to the judges just because you don’t know what they’re looking for,” Johnson said. “When you look at mixed martial arts, you look at every aspect of the game. I felt that I won every aspect. The standup, I felt that I had the cleaner strikes, the better counterattacks. Takedown defense, I think I defended the majority of his takedowns. He dropped me once, but I recovered. I defended all of his submission attempts. I took him down multiple times, had a couple of good slams in there. When you look on paper, I felt that I won that fight. It looks like the judges got it right.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 35:11).

Galleries

Demetrious Johnson Fights

• a year ago

Comments

UFC 215: Demetrious Johnson vs Ray Borg Media Call (FULL Audio) | MMAWeekly.com

Listen in on the UFC 215: Johnson vs. Borg media conference call featuring Demetrious Johnson, Ray Borg, Amanda Nunes, and Valentina Shevchenko. read news >>

UFC 215 lineup set with 2 title fights in Edmonton, including Demetrious Johnson's quest for record

The lineup is set for the UFC’s return trip to Canada next month, including a pair of title fights at the top of the bill. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC contract winner Lauren Mueller on how failed 'TUF 26' bid helped her be ready for DWCS 8

Lauren Mueller had only three pro bouts when she got the call for Dana White’s Contender Series. But that doesn’t takes from her confidence.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 215: Demetrious Johnson vs. Ray Borg Extended Preview | MMAWeekly.com

Take an extended preview into UFC 215, which features the flyweight title fight between Demetrious Johnson and Ray Borg and women's bantamweight title bout. read news >>

UFC 215 Countdown: Demetrious Johnson vs. Ray Borg | MMAWeekly.com

On the verge of breaking Anderson Silva's record for title defenses, Demetrious Johnson and his longtime coach brace for a career-making moment. read news >>

Ray Borg says he'll easily make weight for UFC 215 title fight; Demetrious Johnson believes him

“I’ve corrected my mistakes,” Ray Borg says of his past weight-cut struggles.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Demetrious Johnson is fine being a target for others, but he has UFC history to make first

UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson reflects on being called out by Cody Garbrandt and T.J. Dillashaw and the potential for future fights with them.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC champ Demetrious Johnson: Mayweather-McGregor hoopla can't take away from my history

Demetrious Johnson doesn’t care if his upcoming fight promotion has taken a backseat to Mayweather-McGregor.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Reebok didn't flub Demetrious Johnson's T-shirt; UFC champ plans on changing his nickname

It looked like the UFC’s official apparel partner flubbed again with Demetrious Johnson’s nickname. Not so, says “Mighty Mouse” (for now).Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News, UF read news >>

A look at UFC champ Demetrious Johnson's career stats and records, including the big one

UFC flyweight champion and pound-for-pound great Demetrious Johnson returns to the octagon on Saturday in search of history in UFC 215’s headlining act. Check out his amazing career stats.Filed under read news >>