#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Gokhan Saki #Ovince St. Preux #Yushin Okami #Conor McGregor #UFC Fight Night 83

Cain Velasquez UFC 155UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez looks to defend his title for the first time against Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva in the main event of UFC 160 on May 25. He heads into the rematch with exactly the same mentality he did when the two first met at UFC 146.

Velasquez (11-1) defeated Silva in one-sided fashion a year ago on May 26, 2012, finishing “Bigfoot” inside the first round.  But that was a different fight on a different night.

“This is a whole new fight.  Obviously we saw what Bigfoot can do in his last two fights.  You can’t take him lightly.  He is a tough competitor,” said Velasquez on a recent media conference call.  “I don’t see this as anything less than a hard, grueling fight and that’s what I’m expecting.”

Having defeated Silva before doesn’t detract from Velasquez’s motivation in this fight.

“As far as motivation, I’m motivated to do good.  And it being a rematch, I mean, it is what it is.  We have fought before, but you kind of learn from that fight, but not really thinking too much of it.  You’ve got to kind of think of it as a whole new fight, a whole new strategy is involved and just take it from there,” he said.

“I’m the same.  I’m hungry.  I just want to win, definitely the same.  Just obviously, maybe a different game plan from Bigfoot maybe, but that’s the only thing that’s different in this fight.  But I’ve been hungry and wanting this win. I’m 100 percent there,” added the 30-year-old fighter.

While Silva’s game plan will likely be different than the first time they fought, Velasquez’s remains the same.

“For me, the game plan is staying the same, but I just have to be ready for everything, whatever his game plan is. If he comes out more aggressive, he does different stuff. I’m looking for stuff out there, but I’m looking for my game plan to be the same.”

This is Velasquez’s second title reign.  He defeated Brock Lesnar at UFC 121 to capture the belt, but failed to successfully defend it.  He was knocked out by Junior dos Santos in his first title defense, but recaptured the belt at UFC 155 by avenging the previous loss to the Brazilian heavyweight.

This time around, Velasquez plans to hold onto that title.

“To me right now, it’s the most important thing to defend it, just to hold on to it.  This is the position that I want to be in, so I have to go out and perform,” said the champion.

Galleries

Cain Velasquez Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Cain Velasquez praises Stipe Miocic's run as UFC heavyweight champ, expects 2018 return

Cain Velasquez, who is expecting his second child with his wife, has enjoyed extensive time with his family but is itching to fight again.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Valentina Shevchenko feels great ahead of UFC 215 title match – and has dance moves to show it

Valentina Schevchenko is over Amanda Nunes’ withdrawal from their UFC 213 title encounter: “What happened two months ago was so far away.”Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

'UFC 215 Embedded,' No. 3: How's this Amanda Nunes weight-cut going?

Go behind the scenes of fight week with all four title fight competitors of UFC 215.Filed under: Featured, UFC, Videos read news >>

Donald Cerrone: Unbeaten Darren Till 'might be more dangerous' than Robbie Lawler

Donald Cerrone knows nothing about UFC Fight Night 118 opponent Darren Till, which is one reason the matchup is so dangerous.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Frank and Lorenzo Fertitta Reportedly Sell Remaining UFC Stock

Having already sold the company, Frank and Lorenzo Fertitta have reportedly cashed in on their remaining investment in UFC. Forbes' Noah Kirsch reported the pair sold their rest of their shares in UF read news >>

Report: Fertitta brothers sell remaining UFC stake, signaling end of an era

Lorenzo and Frank Fertitta, who bought the UFC for $2 million in 2001 before selling it for $4 billion in 2016, have “fully divested” in the MMA promotion. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Coach: Demetrious Johnson's 11th UFC title defense will be 'biggest thing in combat sports'

Demetrious Johnson’s head coach Matt Hume says it’s always been the plan to set the UFC record for most consecutive title defensesFiled under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Amanda Nunes keeps focus on UFC 215 title fight as Hurricane Irma threatens South Florida home

Amanda Nunes isn’t sure she’ll be able to return to her South Florida home after UFC 215 in Canada.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Demetrious Johnson: 'I Have a Target On My Back' (UFC 215 Main Event Preview) | MMAWeekly.com

One of the most dominant champions in UFC history returns to the Octagon this Saturday to defend his title against No. 3 ranked flyweight Ray Borg at UFC 215. read news >>

UFC 215 - Fight by Fight Preview

Preview the entire UFC 215 card with this fight-by-fight preview, featuring the main event title fight between Demetrious Johnson and Ray Borg. read news >>