David CastilloAfter suffering two straight losses to begin last year, Utah lightweight prospect David Castillo has rebounded, winning four of five fights (with one no contest).

The two losses forced Castillo to address what he felt was his biggest weakness and, “focus on my guard and fighting off my back. That’s where I needed to improve the most.”

Training at Jeremy Horn’s Elite Performance in Salt Lake City, Castillo feels he’s getting the proper training to overcome his increasingly difficult opposition.

“In my camp we’re still pushing forward for me to perform to my best potential as a fighter,” he said. “I feel like I’m being pushed constantly, and being trained under Jeremy Horn is a great confidence booster for me.

“In my opinion, there’s not a better coach out there that can apply the ground game and jiu-jitsu and gear it towards fighting.”

Even though he feels he’s getting the highest level of training possible, Castillo told MMAWeekly.com that it doesn’t make him overconfident.

“I don’t go into fights thinking guys aren’t receiving the level of training I am,” he said. “I never underestimate anybody. I always assume they have the best training possible and that’s what makes me fight-ready every time I step in there.”

At 14-4, Castillo’s at the point where he’s going to have to beat top-level competition to make his step to the next level, which is exactly the kind of opposition he’ll be facing in UFC veteran John Gunderson at Saturday’s UCS Caged Combat 6 for the promotion’s lightweight title.

“John Gunderson is a lot like me,” said Castillo. “He’s a well-rounded guy who is good on the ground, standing and has decent wrestling. I know he’s got great conditioning, so I’ve made sure that I’m ready to go five rounds and be ready to push the pace and see if I can hurt him and put him away.

“I know he’s said that he’s going to put me away early, but I think he’s sadly mistaken. I think he’s underestimating me, and it’s definitely going to work to my advantage in the fight.”

Currently scheduled to return to Showdown Fights in August, Castillo has the possibility of raising his winning streak to six fights, title in tow, which could produce the kind of buzz to get him noticed by a national promotion.

“Hopefully a win over Gunderson will get the UFC or one of the other high-level organizations looking at me,” he said.

“I see myself ready for the highest level of this sport. I’m confident in my skillset and I’ve got to go prove that. Once that happens, I think everything’s going to take its course.”

(Photo courtesy of DavidCastilloMMA.com)

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

The UFC Performance Institute Is a Break From MMA's Caveman Past | FIGHTLAND

In the midst of sharing practice room war stories from his days at Miletich Fighting Systems, author Sam Sheridan got to the heart of why so many of the gym's UFC champions—Jens Pulver, Matt Hughes, read news >>

Punching Nazis: An Introduction | FIGHTLAND

As neo-Nazism, in its euphemistically rebranded “alt-right” form, has risen across the globe in the past few years, so too has the question of how best to combat this dangerous threat to freedom and read news >>

Chael Sonnen Gets Fired From "Celebrity Apprentice" for Acting Like Donald Trump | FIGHTLAND

Screenshot via YouTube/The Apprentice This past Monday on Celebrity Apprentice, former UFC star Chael Sonnen bought his struggling team some extra time to complete a challenge by “creating” a “techni read news >>

Bellator 170 medical suspensions: Christian Gonzalez gets indefinite term – for stab wound

Several fighters were given lengthy medical suspensions following this past Saturday’s Bellator 170 event in California – including what may be a fighting first.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Relive Jorge Masvidal's Backyard Fights vs. Kimbo Slice's Protege

This past Saturday at UFC on Fox 23, Jorge Masvidal put on the most impressive performance of his 14-year professional MMA career. His opponent, Donald Cerrone, had been knocked out only twice in his read news >>

Dana White promises extra cash for UFC on FOX 23's unofficial 'Fight of the Night'

At this past Saturday’s UFC on FOX 23 event, the night’s four main-card winners were all deservedly presented with $50,000 “Performance of the Night” bonuses. But a pair of welterweights will also be read news >>

USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie Rankings, Jan. 31: Shevchenko-Pena flip-flop, Masvidal makes big leap

This past Saturday’s UFC on FOX 23 event in Denver saw some shifts in the balance of a couple divisions. Filed under: Bellator, MMA Rankings, News, UFC, WSOF read news >>

Felice Herrig full media scrum ahead of UFC Fight Night 104

HOUSTON – After an impressive “Performance of the Night” win this past summer, veteran strawweight Felice Herrig is getting back to business.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Decade-Long UFC Veteran Thiago Tavares Exits Promotion | MMAWeekly.com

After spending the past decade under the UFC banner, Thiago Tavares has inked a multi-fight deal with a Brazilian promotion. read news >>