#Conor McGregor #UFC 211 #Cris Cyborg #Bellator 179 #Rory MacDonald #Nate Diaz #Angela Magana #Paul Daley #Diaz vs. McGregor 2 #Hayder Hassan #Dhiego Lima #Joanna Jedrzejczyk

David CastilloAfter suffering two straight losses to begin last year, Utah lightweight prospect David Castillo has rebounded, winning four of five fights (with one no contest).

The two losses forced Castillo to address what he felt was his biggest weakness and, “focus on my guard and fighting off my back. That’s where I needed to improve the most.”

Training at Jeremy Horn’s Elite Performance in Salt Lake City, Castillo feels he’s getting the proper training to overcome his increasingly difficult opposition.

“In my camp we’re still pushing forward for me to perform to my best potential as a fighter,” he said. “I feel like I’m being pushed constantly, and being trained under Jeremy Horn is a great confidence booster for me.

“In my opinion, there’s not a better coach out there that can apply the ground game and jiu-jitsu and gear it towards fighting.”

Even though he feels he’s getting the highest level of training possible, Castillo told MMAWeekly.com that it doesn’t make him overconfident.

“I don’t go into fights thinking guys aren’t receiving the level of training I am,” he said. “I never underestimate anybody. I always assume they have the best training possible and that’s what makes me fight-ready every time I step in there.”

At 14-4, Castillo’s at the point where he’s going to have to beat top-level competition to make his step to the next level, which is exactly the kind of opposition he’ll be facing in UFC veteran John Gunderson at Saturday’s UCS Caged Combat 6 for the promotion’s lightweight title.

“John Gunderson is a lot like me,” said Castillo. “He’s a well-rounded guy who is good on the ground, standing and has decent wrestling. I know he’s got great conditioning, so I’ve made sure that I’m ready to go five rounds and be ready to push the pace and see if I can hurt him and put him away.

“I know he’s said that he’s going to put me away early, but I think he’s sadly mistaken. I think he’s underestimating me, and it’s definitely going to work to my advantage in the fight.”

Currently scheduled to return to Showdown Fights in August, Castillo has the possibility of raising his winning streak to six fights, title in tow, which could produce the kind of buzz to get him noticed by a national promotion.

“Hopefully a win over Gunderson will get the UFC or one of the other high-level organizations looking at me,” he said.

“I see myself ready for the highest level of this sport. I’m confident in my skillset and I’ve got to go prove that. Once that happens, I think everything’s going to take its course.”

(Photo courtesy of DavidCastilloMMA.com)

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Former UFC owners turned down $5 billion buyout offer, per Dana White

The UFC sold this past July for about $4 billion, or $3.775 billion and a quarter-billion in earn-outs, if you want to get technical. But when the promotion's former owners were considering which buy read news >>

Learning to Walk and Learning to Fight: The Muay Thai Fights of Songkran | FIGHTLAND

Photos courtesy of Wor. Watthana Muay Thai Gym In the days leading up to Thai New Year, traffic moves at a snail's pace. Highway police close one lane of inbound traffic enroute to Bangkok to ease co read news >>

Fight Nights Global officials 'very disappointed' in Falcao stoppage, want better safety standards

Following an incredibly late stoppage at this past weekend’s Fight Nights Global 63 event in Russia, promotion officials have declared there was an “obvious” referee error and pledged to press for be read news >>

Bas Rutten: Maurice Smith's UFC Hall of Fame inclusion is 'freaking awesome'

This past weekend, UFC officials announced that Maurice Smith will be inducted into the promotion’s hall of fame this summer, and there were some mixed reactions among fans. Not so much with fellow U read news >>

Episode No. 2 recap: 'The Ultimate Fighter 25: Redemption'

“The Ultimate Fighter 25: Redemption” brings together past cast members looking for another chance at greatness. Check out a recap of the action from Episode No. 2.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Fertitta brothers use UFC sale money to form investment firm

Buoyed by the $4 billion sale of the UFC this past July, the Fertitta brothers are getting into the investment game. The Wall Street Journal today reported Lorenzo and Frank Fertitta have formed Fert read news >>

With initial challenge scratched, Bryan Barberena aiming for ranked opponent next time out

At 3-1 in his past four fights, including a first-round stoppage of Joe Proctor at this past month’s UFC Fight Night 108, Bryan Barberena is looking for a ranked opponent his next time out.Filed unde read news >>

UFC 211's Jessica Andrade talks past ties with champ Jedrzejczyk, recalls shared training session

RIO DE JANEIRO – Having once shared a manager with Joanna Jedrzejczyk, Jessica Andrade said she used gloves given to her by the champ to train for their UFC 211 title appointment on Saturday.Filed un read news >>

UFC 211's Henry Cejudo aims to move past 'miserable' experience of consecutive losses

DALLAS – The fight game can change in an instant, and for Henry Cejudo, it’s taken just two fights to go from the man some pegged to dethrone flyweight king Demetrious Johnson to a fighter in despera read news >>

Joanna Jedrzejczyk Wants To Be First Female To Hold Two UFC Belts | MMAWeekly.com

Strawweight champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk wants to be the first female fighter to hold two UFC belts. First, she'll have to get past Jessica Andrade at UFC 211. read news >>