#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #GSP #Fight Night Rotterdam #Tony Ferguson #Darren Till #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Michael Bisping #Nick Diaz #Donald Cerrone #Dominick Cruz #Robbie Lawler

Dave Branch-UFCv3-5451To say that World Series of Fighting middleweight David Branch had a tumultuous 2012 is not an understatement. Difficulties in his career mirrored difficulties in his private life.

“I had some passport issues, wasn’t able to make it to Poland (for a bout), had a couple of fights I had to pull out of due to injurym and when I fought Anthony Johnson (in May) there was a lot of controversy with weight,” said Branch.

“I’m not one of those fighters who doesn’t have to worry about bills and everyday things. I have to put food on the table and I have two children, so sometimes the stress gets to you and you lose focus on what you’ve got to do in a fight. All my losses were because I wasn’t mentally prepared; I was physically prepared, but mentally not there.”

Thankfully coming into 2013, Branch was able to get things sorted out.

“Now I’m in a place mentally and people around me that are driving me and have re-sparked what first inspired me to fight,” he said. “I’m in a really good place right now and am staying away from negativity and am just being positive.”

Branch told MMAWeekly.com that he’s looking to build off lessons learned in his last win against Dustin Jacoby at WSOF 1 in November to make for a more consistent year.

“The fight with Dustin I was still recovering from some injuries, so I couldn’t do what I really wanted to do and what I’m capable of doing in the fight, but it was good because that was the first time I stood up against a stand-up guy and showed a different element of my game,” said Branch.

“I out-struck a striker who had won most of his fights by knockout, and me being a grappler doing that against a striker made me feel good. It was like the first time I had a striker try to take me down, so I knew I was doing something right.”

A more fully developed game could help Branch gain the advantage on Saturday in Atlantic City, N.J., when he takes on Paulo Filho in a feature bout at WSOF 2 to be broadcast on NBC Sports Network.

“I would like to show a full range of MMA against Paulo and my future opponents,” said Branch. “I’d like to make it exciting, but also fight a smart fight and fight to win.

“I’ve been doing jiu-jitsu for a long time, working with some of the best in the world with the Gracie family my whole career, so I’m not going to be surprised by anything he’s going to do on the ground. I respect his ground game, but I’m not worried about it.”

After not receiving much of a push in his time with Bellator and the UFC, Branch feels now with the WSOF, he can take his career to heights he’s wanted to achieve for a long time.

“I think this is the perfect opportunity and perfect promotion for me to be at this time in my career and where I’m at,” he said. “I’m actually coming into my own. I’ve been fighting for about five years now and I definitely feel like this is going to open really big doors for me.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Comments

Champion Andrea Lee Thinks He's A Better Fighter Than Her LFA 23 Opponent | MMAWeekly.com

Andrea Lee will finally get the opportunity to defend her 125-pound title when she takes on Jamie Thorton in the LFA 23 co-main event on Friday. read news >>

Paige VanZant Reveals Title and Cover for Her New Book Due Out in 2018 | MMAWeekly.com

Paige VanZant will release her first book in 2018 and she's finally revealed the title and the cover for her upcoming autobiography. The book will be titled "Rise: Surviving the Fight of My Life", wh read news >>

Why Sabina Mazo has so much buzz heading into Friday's LFA 23 return

Colombian flyweight Sabina Mazo returns to the LFA cage this Friday, after a head kick that took the internet by storm in April.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News read news >>

After postponement for UFC 215 fight, Jeremy Stephens finally got married over the weekend

After pushing back his wedding to fight at UFC 215, Jeremy Stephens had his wedding over the weekend.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Aspen Ladd Finally Books Long Awaited UFC Debut Fight in Poland | MMAWeekly.com

Highly touted bantamweight prospect Aspen Ladd has finally booked her Octagon debut against Lina Lansberg at UFC Fight Night in Poland on Oct. 21. UFC officials announced the new matchup on Tuesday. read news >>

Dominick Cruz Returns; Cynthia Calvillo Booked Against Former Champ at UFC 219 | MMAWeekly.com

Former bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz has finally booked his next fight as he will face off with Jimmie Rivera at UFC 219 in Las Vegas on Dec. 30. Cruz has been out of action since losing the ba read news >>

UFC 216: Ferguson vs. Lee Odds, Tickets, Predictions and Pre-Weigh-in Hype

At UFC 216, the lightweight division will finally have an active title picture for the first time in the Conor McGregor era. Either Tony Ferguson or Kevin Lee will become the interim title holder in read news >>

Derrick Lewis Says He Is 'Not Focused' Heading into UFC 216 Fight Against Werdum

Derrick Lewis is jovial and entertaining on social media, but when Hurricane Harvey hit Houston, Texas, Lewis showed off his heart. And the effects of that storm are still weighing on the UFC heavywe read news >>

Demetrious Johnson's Armbar Was Crazy, but to Be GOAT He Needs New Challenges

Demetrious Johnson's quest for history was finally realized Saturday at UFC 216. As usual, he made it look easy. Johnson systematically demolished the overmatched Ray Borg in their co-main event figh read news >>

Demetrious Johnson was Injured Going into UFC 216 | MMAWeekly.com

You'd never have known it, but Demetrious Johnson was injured heading into his UFC 216 flyweight title defense against Ray Borg. read news >>