#Bellator 185 #Gegard Mousasi #Alexander Shlemenko #Bellator MMA #Conor McGregor #Kristina Williams #Heather Hardy #UFC 216 #Tony Ferguson #UFC Fight Night 118 #Fight Night Rotterdam #GSP #Darren Till

UFC welterweight Darren Till has a lot of people to prove wrong.

Till (15-0-1 MMA, 3-0-1 UFC) is on the verge of the biggest fight of his UFC career and already he’s on the defensive. Although he professes not to care what social media says about his UFC Fight Night 118 headliner against Donald Cerrone (32-9 MMA, 19-6 UFC), Till is awfully fired up at those who question it.

“You’ve got people like Brendan Schaub … saying he doesn’t know me, he’s disrespecting me and whatever, saying ‘Cowboy’ shouldn’t be taking this fight, but why shouldn’t I be taking the fight? Let’s get it straight, I’m unbeaten here,” Till said on the “Obviously Fight Talk” podcast. “I’m unbeaten. Nobody’s been able to beat me.

“So what do I do? Do I just stay on the prelims, do I? Fighting no one. Can’t I move up? Is this what the world’s come to? I can’t move up? I can’t fight these big guys? Is this what it is? A big gap? I’ll (expletive) show them what’s going to be a big gap on fight night when I crack him on the chin.”

Schaub, a former UFC heavyweight and co-host of “The Fighter and the Kid” podcast, indicated Cerrone should be a bit more selective about matchups, taking on marquee fighters to rebuild toward a title shot. Cerrone, one of the most active combatants the UFC has ever seen, has lost two straight fights at welterweight, where he hoped to win a title after falling short on multiple occasions at lightweight.

Schaub might not have meant to disrespect Till, who’s 3-0-1 in the octagon and recently outpointed Bojan Velickovic in an impressive performance. Till took it that way nonetheless.

“They can say what they want,” Till said. “At the end of the day, if ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone came into Muay Thai we’d consider him an amateur. So what does that say? He wouldn’t be considered no top-level striker in Muay Thai, let me tell you that right now. So what’s the difference? He’s a lightweight.

“I just don’t see how he’s going to take me down. He is a black belt, a respected black belt, but I don’t see him tapping me. And, you know, on the feet I just don’t see what he’s going to do to me. I don’t see where he can bother me. I just don’t see it.”

Before he entered the UFC, Cerrone was, in fact, a professional kickboxer. Although accurate records are almost impossible to come by, his advertised kickboxing record was 28-0-1. He also won titles as an amateur and professional.

When he transitioned to MMA, Cerrone showed he was not just a striker. His first seven wins were either the result of armbars or triangle chokes. But Till wouldn’t be the first to underestimate his opponent, no matter how many times Cerrone has snuck in a fight-ending punch, kick, or submission.

“There’s no disrespect between me and Donald,” he said. “I just want to beat him up. I just want to batter him. That’s what I want to do, and he wants to do the same to me. But just because he doesn’t know me I’m going to get all disrespectful?

“Listen, I don’t care what people say, I don’t care about social media. None of that gets to me. I do look at it, and I do laugh. I just don’t give a (expletive) what anyone says. I really don’t.”

It certainly sounds like the opposite. But leave Till to prove none of that matters when they step into the cage.

“I’ll be going in to take his chin clean off. So, you know, let these people talk, let Brendan Schaub go on his podcast and talk,” Till said. “Hasn’t he got better things to talk about? He should be worrying about the (expletive) 10 knockouts he’s had in his career.”

For more on UFC Fight Night 118, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Galleries

Donald Cerrone Fights

• a year ago

Darren Till Fights

Comments

Donald Cerrone welcomes gatekeeper label, but can Darren Till 'get past the gate?'

Donald Cerrone relishes the narrative his UFC Fight Night 118 headliner with Darren Till could be a changing of the guard.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night Cerrone vs. Till Face-Offs and a Few Words of Advice | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

Donald Cerrone had a few words of advice for Darren Till when they stepped on the stage to face off in Gdansk, Poland. read news >>

Twitter Mailbag: On Cerrone-Till, Cyborg's USADA concerns, UFC's PPV status, and more

• a day ago

Is Donald Cerrone taking Darren Till too lightly? Does Cris Cyborg believe there’s a USADA conspiracy? That and more from Ben Fowlkes.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

What Happens When Donald Cerrone Meets Undefeated Darren Till? (UFC Gdansk Preview) | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

So what happens when undefeated British youngster Darren Till stands toe to toe with grizzled veteran Donald Cerrone in Poland? read news >>

Watch Donald Cerrone Blast Rick Story (UFC Poland Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Before he face Darren Till, check out Donald Cerrone's impressive knockout finish of Rick Story. read news >>

Before UFC-Gdansk headliner, watch Donald Cerrone's slick combo on Rick Story

A few seconds of Donald Cerrone’s UFC 202 bout with Rick Story have become one of MMA’s more popular recent GIFs – and for good reason.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

'UFC on the Fly': Behind the scenes with UFC-Gdansk headliner Darren Till

England’s Darren Till has been considered one of the UFC’s best prospects since he came to the promotion in 2015. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Donald Cerrone vs. Darren Till Set for UFC Gdansk, but One Fighter Misses Weight | MMAWeekly.com

• 17 hours ago

The UFC Fight Night 118 headlining bout between Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone and Darren Till is set, although one fighter on the card missed weight. read news >>

Matthew Frincu, Curtis Millender talk kitchen sinks and potential UFC deals ahead of LFA 24 headliner

A pair of high-level strikers meet in tonight’s LFA 24 main event, but their philosophies about how the matchup will go down are divergent.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, News, UFC read news >>

Michael Bisping, GSP Get in Expletive Filled War of Words Backstage Following UFC 217 Presser | MMAWeekly.com

The heat is real between Michael Bisping and Georges St-Pierre read news >>