Darren Elkins is a regular underdog in the UFC, yet he has managed to win four straight fights.

Most recently, he outworked Steven Siler for 15 minutes at UFC 154 to earn a decisive unanimous decision (30-27 on all three cards).

“I was a little bit of an underdog it seemed,” Elkins told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “He had a couple of good wins. I was coming off a three-fight win streak. He was too. Overall I liked the matchup. I thought I was going to be the better wrestler and I thought I was going to be the stronger fighter. It happened to be that I felt stronger than him and I wore him down.”

Elkins delivered another workmanlike performance, using his takedowns to nullify Siler’s striking and an active game on the ground to prevent Siler’s submissions.

“My first takedown I got on him was against the cage,” Elkins said. “I was just kind of working off the cage, throwing some knees, and when I went for that trip, I just felt like I overpowered him. From there, when he came in charging forward, I landed a few good double legs and just felt like I had my timing down that night.”

Siler was no slouch. He entered the fight on a three-bout win streak that included a win over Cole Miller. By outpointing him, Elkins scored his fifth victory in six UFC fights.

“I think I’m getting up there,” Elkins answered when asked where he stands in the featherweight division. “I think my next fight I need a bigger name, maybe a top-five, top-10 guy in the division and I hope they’ll give it to me. I think I’ve got to get a couple of those before I get really in the mix.”

It’s no mistake that Elkins has found success at 145 pounds. To make the weight, he has to stay focused, and the drop from 155 has worked well so far.

“I am a different fighter,” he said. “I have to focus a little bit more on my strength and conditioning and my diet. Since I’ve dropped down to 145, my diet’s changed a lot. The strength factor -- I am a lot stronger than almost everybody I’ve fought so far at featherweight, so that’s a huge advantage for me, and size-wise, at 155, I’m fighting taller guys and I’m usually the taller guy at 145.”

Elkins likes how he matches up with opponents in the division, but he’s still the underdog come fight time and that’s fine with him.

“Every fight I’ve had pretty much in the UFC, I’m the underdog,” he said. “The betting odds, I’m always at least a little slight underdog or a huge underdog. I love the role. It motivates me. I just keep training harder, and that gives me the motivation because everybody doubts me. It pushes me every day.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 35:35).

UFC on FOX 23's Nate Marquardt talks staving off retirement, fighting former training partner in Alvey

DENVER – It wasn’t that long ago that Nate Marquardt was ready to hang up his gloves and move on to something else. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Nate Diaz Wants to Box Because UFC Put Him on the Shelf | MMAWeekly.com

Nate Diaz recently applied for a boxing license because he is "being put on the shelf" by the UFC. read news >>

Joanna Jedrzejczyk Hints at Upcoming UFC Title Defense | MMAWeekly.com

The UFC has some upcoming fight cards to fill, and it appears one of them is going to feature strawweight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk's return to the Octagon. read news >>

UFC on FOX 23's Jason Knight plans Caceres KO, new contract and callout of 'The Korean Superboy'

LAKEWOOD, Colo. – Don’t accuse Jason Knight for being one of those UFC fighters who doesn’t think ahead each time he enters and exits the octagon.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Champ Daniel Cormier vs. Anthony Johnson rematch headlines UFC 210 in Buffalo

A light heavyweight title fight will headline UFC 210.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Daniel Cormier Returns in UFC 210 Headliner | MMAWeekly.com

This is one time where waiting pays off, as light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier returns at UFC 210 to put his belt on the line. read news >>

Daniel Cormier vs. Anthony Johnson 2 Announced for UFC 210: Details, Reaction

The UFC announced Wednesday that Daniel Cormier and Anthony Johnson will meet in a rematch of their May 2015 clash at UFC 210 in Buffalo, New York, on April 8. Cormier (18-1) secured a victory via su read news >>

UFC on FOX 23's Alex Caceres won't trash talk fighter he doesn't know – or Jason Knight

LAKEWOOD, Colo. – UFC featherweight Alex Caceres’ manager texted him recently to ask whether he’d fight his next opponent. Caceres, though, just wanted the details of when. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC on FOX 23: Shevchenko vs. Pena Live Results and Fight Stats | MMAWeekly.com

Follow along for UFC on FOX 23: Shevchenko vs. Pena full live results and fight stats. First fight is scheduled for 4 p.m. ET on Saturday, Jan. 28. read news >>

New division unleashed: Check out the 'UFC 208: Holm vs. De Randamie' extended preview

The UFC returns to New York for the third time in 14 weeks when it brings UFC 208 to Brooklyn next month. Check out the extended video preview for the event inside.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>