#UFC Fight Night 83 #Saturday Night Fights #GGG #Luke Rockhold #David Branch #DWTNCS #HBO Boxing PPV - Golovkin vs. Canelo #Golovkin vs Canelo #Golovkin vs. Canelo #UFC 215 #Conor McGregor

Darren Elkins is a regular underdog in the UFC, yet he has managed to win four straight fights.

Most recently, he outworked Steven Siler for 15 minutes at UFC 154 to earn a decisive unanimous decision (30-27 on all three cards).

“I was a little bit of an underdog it seemed,” Elkins told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “He had a couple of good wins. I was coming off a three-fight win streak. He was too. Overall I liked the matchup. I thought I was going to be the better wrestler and I thought I was going to be the stronger fighter. It happened to be that I felt stronger than him and I wore him down.”

Elkins delivered another workmanlike performance, using his takedowns to nullify Siler’s striking and an active game on the ground to prevent Siler’s submissions.

“My first takedown I got on him was against the cage,” Elkins said. “I was just kind of working off the cage, throwing some knees, and when I went for that trip, I just felt like I overpowered him. From there, when he came in charging forward, I landed a few good double legs and just felt like I had my timing down that night.”

Siler was no slouch. He entered the fight on a three-bout win streak that included a win over Cole Miller. By outpointing him, Elkins scored his fifth victory in six UFC fights.

“I think I’m getting up there,” Elkins answered when asked where he stands in the featherweight division. “I think my next fight I need a bigger name, maybe a top-five, top-10 guy in the division and I hope they’ll give it to me. I think I’ve got to get a couple of those before I get really in the mix.”

It’s no mistake that Elkins has found success at 145 pounds. To make the weight, he has to stay focused, and the drop from 155 has worked well so far.

“I am a different fighter,” he said. “I have to focus a little bit more on my strength and conditioning and my diet. Since I’ve dropped down to 145, my diet’s changed a lot. The strength factor -- I am a lot stronger than almost everybody I’ve fought so far at featherweight, so that’s a huge advantage for me, and size-wise, at 155, I’m fighting taller guys and I’m usually the taller guy at 145.”

Elkins likes how he matches up with opponents in the division, but he’s still the underdog come fight time and that’s fine with him.

“Every fight I’ve had pretty much in the UFC, I’m the underdog,” he said. “The betting odds, I’m always at least a little slight underdog or a huge underdog. I love the role. It motivates me. I just keep training harder, and that gives me the motivation because everybody doubts me. It pushes me every day.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 35:35).

Comments

Nick Hein out at UFC-Rotterdam, promotion seeks featherweight foe for Zabit Magomedsharipov

Injury has forced German fighter Nick Hein out of next week’s UFC Fight Night 115 event in Rotterdam, and company officials are currently seeking a replacement opponent for Zabit Magomedsharipov.File read news >>

Francis Ngannou 'lost' after UFC 215 fight scratch, knows suitable replacement unlikely

Francis Ngannou is disappointed with the current state of his career after losing out on a big-fight opportunity at UFC 215.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Stream or download MMAjunkie Radio #2516 with Ricardo Lamas and Frank Trigg

Stream or download Friday’s episode of MMAjunkie Radio with Ricardo Lamas and Frank Trigg.Filed under: News, Radio, UFC read news >>

Matt Hughes Already Back on the Mats Just Two Months After Serious Car Accident | MMAWeekly.com

Former UFC welterweight champion Matt Hughes has been steadily improving since being involved in a serious accident just two months ago after his truck collided with an oncoming train in Illinois. Th read news >>

Conor McGregor Gets His Final Rounds of Sparring On (Mayweather vs. McGregor Vlog) | MMAWeekly.com

On Episode 2 of Mayweather vs. McGregor Embedded, UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor enjoyis another hard sparring session in the boxing ring. read news >>

Welterweight bout between Court McGee and Sean Strickland set for UFC Fight Night 120

Nov. 11’s UFC Fight Night 120, which takes place in Norfolk, Va., continues to take shape with a bout between two welterweights looking for octagon recovery.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Felice Herrig faces Cortney Casey at UFC 218 in Detroit | MMAWeekly.com

Top 10 ranked strawweight contender Felice Herrig will make her return to action when she faces Cortney Case at UFC 218 scheduled on Dec. 2 in Detroit. Herrig made the announcement via her Instagram read news >>

What has Conor McGregor accomplished in UFC prior to Floyd Mayweather? These are the facts

As Conor McGregor prepares to enter the ring vs. Floyd Mayweather with a clean slate, look back at everything he’s accomplished in the UFC.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

From scary accident to coma to rolling, UFC Hall of Famer Matt Hughes is back on the mat

Amazing video of Matt Hughes rolling on the mats with his friend is a testament to the UFC Hall of Famer’s resiliency.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Jon Jones notified of potential doping violation in wake of UFC 214 title win

Jon Jones was notified by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency of a potential failed test, his third overall.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>