#UFC Fight Night 117 #Conor McGregor #Gokhan Saki #UFC Fight Night 83 #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Saint Preux #Jon Jones #Luke Rockhold #Nate Diaz

When Danny Castillo heard that he’d been offered a fight against Michael Johnson at UFC 151, he didn’t hesitate to take it.

“The fight’s great,” Castillo told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “As soon as I heard of the fight, I was like, ‘Yeah, let’s sign the contract.’ I think Michael Johnson’s really talented. I think he’s fast and athletic. It’s going to be a good test for me.”

Of course the fight won’t be happening at UFC 151 due to the event’s cancellation. Instead, it has been rescheduled for Oct. 5 at UFC on FX 5.

“I just carried on, man,” Castillo said when asked how he reacted to the news that UFC 151 had been nixed. “I just kept working. I went and trained. It helped me get my mind off the situation instead of being all sad and bitter about it. … I’m glad I didn’t waste a bunch of negative energy flipping out about it.”

In Johnson, Castillo will face an opponent who has won two straight. After outpointing Shane Roller in January, he impressively outstruck “The Ultimate Fighter” Season 13 winner Tony Ferguson in May for a unanimous decision.

“I know he has a wrestling background, but he doesn’t really wrestle too much in any of his fights from what I’ve seen,” Castillo said. “He’s had 12, 14 weeks to prepare, so maybe he’s just been doing a ton of wrestling to tighten it up? The thing about this fight is, I feel comfortable wherever I’m going to be at.”

Castillo is also on a winning streak, having earned three straight victories. He stopped Shamar Bailey last November, edged Anthony Njokuani via split decision in December and outpointed John Cholish in May. From Johnson, he’s expecting an opponent who will likely look to strike. Castillo’s background is wrestling, but he said he’s not worried about Johnson’s standup.

“If it’s on our feet, yeah, he’s fast and his standup’s what he’s been working on, [but] I just hope he didn’t forget to work on his ground game as well,” Castillo said. “I’m not the best boxer, but my wrestling makes my boxing pretty dangerous. As a straight boxer, I get beat up all the time. But if some takedowns are involved, my boxing gets that much better.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:56:53).

Galleries

Michael Johnson Fights

• 2 months ago

Comments

UFC Rotterdam Fighter Q&A Replay with Alistair Overeem, Michael Johnson and Volkan Oezdemir | MMAWeekly.com

Ahead of Saturday's UFC Fight Night 115, Alistair Overeem, Michael Johnson, and Volkan Oezdemir fielded questions from fans. read news >>

Unbeaten Rob Wilkinson not stressing out about losing one day ahead of UFC Rotterdam

Coming to the UFC at 11-0, and with nine first-round finishes, Australia’s Rob Wilkinson is ready to show his skills at the next level.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC's Michael Johnson explains move to featherweight, wanting to fight Jose Aldo first

Michael Johnson already has named his first featherweight target in ex-champ Jose Aldo, but he’ll take others as long as they’re big enough to justify the 10-pound drop.Filed under: Featured, News, U read news >>

Valentina Shevchenko feels great ahead of UFC 215 title match – and has dance moves to show it

Valentina Schevchenko is over Amanda Nunes’ withdrawal from their UFC 213 title encounter: “What happened two months ago was so far away.”Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Johnson vs. Borg, Nunes vs. Shevchenko Face Off Ahead of Double Title Fight at UFC 215 | MMAWeekly.com

Two titles will go up for grabs at UFC 215 as Demetrious Johnson takes on Ray Borg and Amanda Nunes faces Valentina Shevchenko after they were originally scheduled to meet in July. On Thursday, all f read news >>

Tony Ferguson and Kevin Lee Engage in Heated Face Off Ahead of UFC 216 | MMAWeekly.com

Tony Ferguson and Kevin Lee had to be separated by UFC president Dana White on Thursday after a heated face off during a media day in Las Vegas. Ferguson will face Lee to crown a new interim lightwei read news >>

Video: Hardy, Gooden break down Stefan Struve vs. Alexander Volkov at UFC Fight Night 115

Ahead of UFC Fight Night 115, Dan Hardy, John Gooden and Nick Peet, break down Saturday’s main event and other fights on the card.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Countdown: Luke Rockhold vs. David Branch (FULL Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Go inside the gyms and lives of Luke Rockhold and David Branch ahead of their UFC Pittsburgh main event. read news >>

UFC 215's Ketlen Vieira confident but level-headed ahead of 'golden opportunity' vs. Sara McMann

Ahead of her the toughest opponent of her undefeated career, Ketlen Vieira is all respect for onetime title challenger Sara McMann.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Jeremy Stephens postponed his wedding to fight Gilbert Melendez at UFC 215

Jeremy Stephens postponed his wedding, which is why he hopes to make Gilbert Melendez’s first night as a featherweight miserable.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>